RLLMUK's Official Sales Figures 2011

Boyatsea

There wouldn't be any Kinect Sports - or Kinect for that matter - if not for the Wii and Wii Sports.

Show a little bit of respect here, will ya :angry:

Sentence one. Yes.

Sentence two. You're welcome to continue playing Wolfenstein 3D; Ultima Online etc. Progress isn't bad, you know, and I'm not really into "respecting corporations".

I think it's more interesting that Microsoft chose to bundle Kinect with Kinect Adventures, which is fun, but nothing really to write home about. Kinect Sports seems the more natural choice - it really does utilise the tech better.

SO they make more money from people buying K.Sports right!

I bought Sly Trilogy today, and I idly went to check vgchartz (yes, I know it's mostly shite) to see what it had sold worldwide. It's not pleasant reading, with about 100k in sales but - unless there's been a typo - allegedly in one week in Europe it sold 11 copies. Which is pretty awesomely bad.

Seems an appropriate place for this really. 16.24 million iPhones sold in the last quarter, 7.33 million iPads.

Total iPhones sold - 89.2 million. Total iPads sold - 14.8 million. iPod touch numbers not given, but it's fair to say iOS' lifetime userbase is well over 150 million, given the last estimates for iPod touch sales back in September put it at 45 million.

If it's not on Xbox, Keith hasn't heard of it.

Xbox and smartphone now, surely.

Have I not been lumped into that box yet? :)

EDIT - Ahh, they've just said. iOS' cumulative userbase is 160 million.

Seems an appropriate place for this really. 16.24 million iPhones sold in the last quarter, 7.33 million iPads.

Total iPhones sold - 89.2 million. Total iPads sold - 14.8 million. iPod touch numbers not given, but it's fair to say iOS' lifetime userbase is well over 150 million, given the last estimates for iPod touch sales back in September put it at 45 million.

Xbox and smartphone now, surely.

Have I not been lumped into that box yet? :)

EDIT - Ahh, they've just said. iOS' cumulative userbase is 160 million.

That's loads. When do you think it will start affecting Nintendo sales?

The great thing about this forum's ignore feature is, you can still click on posts to see what the person in question has said should you feel like it.

Amazing, isn't it? Mind you, it seems putting you on ignore didn't stop you trying to talk to me, anyway.

Do you want to talk about sales, or anything, or are we focusing on pedantry today?

We, err, kinda did that. It probably already has, just as iPad has 360/PS3. It's not an all or nothing situation.

But XBox 360 has sold more this year than last so how does that work? Also, Kinect sold more during the same period than ipad - what does it all mean?

But still it probably has, probably.

But XBox 360 has sold more this year than last so how does that work? Also, Kinect sold more during the same period than ipad - what does it all mean?

Do we really have to do this again?

For starters, the sales impact isn't limited to hardware. As plenty have stated, a lot of people own DSs that are no longer used - and I'd suggest a large portion of those users might just own smartphones, putting the prospect of them upgrading to a 3DS in doubt. Software sales of truly casual releases in the last 12 months might offer more evidence either for or against on this score.

But, as RubberJohnny points out, we can't fully grasp the impact one device has on another in terms of a literal number of sales, because we have no idea what the product in question might have sold if another product wasn't on the market.

DS and 360 both ended the year strongly in terms of hardware sales, but we have no way of knowing whether they'd have sold more or less has the likes of iPhone, iPod touch and iPad been on the market. I truly don't think you're daft enough not to realise this, either - it just seems an especially easy stick to try and beat us with.

That is the weakest ever argument I have ever read in the history of arguing. How can sales go up if what you're saying is happening to any degree?

Well, DS sales haven't gone up. It's selling less, week on week, than it did 12 months ago. Xbox 360 sales went up because of Kinect and any impact from iPad will be especially minor right now. The threat there will come from Apple TV in the years to come, so home consoles are safe for a while yet.

But, that aside, of course sales can go up. The case would be that they might have gone up even more had the competitor not been there. That's kinda business basics - I'm not saying anything especially revolutionary there.

The impact now might, indeed, be small. 3DS is going to have a hell of first couple of years, too. When discussing this, we were always talking about longterm 3DS sales - at least that's what my prediction initially referenced.

But, that aside, of course sales can go up. The case would be that they might have gone up even more had the competitor not been there. That's kinda business basics - I'm not saying anything especially revolutionary there.

Perhaps you need to try, because the basics aren't really explaining it to me very well. Perhaps you need to have a word with your friends in the industry, perhaps they can explain it better.

Xbox sales have been strong all year and weren't drastically affected by KInect i.e. there wasn't a huge surge in sales - they were steady.

Well, we're going off at a tangent now, but that's not true. At all.

From what I remember the last time I looked at them, 360 sales slowed down a fair bit in the first half of the year. It was down on 2009 figures. PS3 made up about 1.5 million worldwide between Jan and June - somewhere in the region. Xbox 360 got a big boost from the launch of the 360 S half way through the year, and then the launch of Kinect saw sales - quite literally - surge.

Go back and have a look through the press cuttings. This has nothing to do with anything, really, but if you're saying 360 was selling at the same rate all year, you're wrong. 360 went from third place in some months in the US and UK to topping the NPDs for three months running.

That said, why are you going down this path anyway, especially when you're way off the mark?

Perhaps you need to try, because the basics aren't really explaining it to me very well. Perhaps you need to have a word with your friends in the industry, perhaps they can explain it better.

:rolleyes:

Okay, let's put it like this. Quite plainly, so we don't get sidetracked.

PS2 still sold strongly for months, if not years, after the latest generation of consoles launched. Indeed, I don't think I'm wrong in saying it outsold 360 in the US and UK for a fair while after it launched.

By the same token, no one would suggest that the launch of these new consoles didn't have an impact on PS2 sales. No one at the time was suggesting that the new generation of consoles had failed, and that PS2 would go on forever. Even though sales of the system were still strong, it's fairly likely they've have been even stronger had 360, PS3 and Wii not come along.

In short, you can have an impact on something longterm without causing its sales to crash to zero when the effect starts to take place.

If we bring this back round to handhelds and smartphones, the line is, the rise of the app, the ease at which they can be purchased, the cheap price they're available for and the fact they're available on devices many of us in the west already own means, in the long run, traditional gaming based handhelds that offer boxed games at a higher price could lose out on the casual, mainstream base they currently tap up.

I posted the iOS sales figures as evidence as to how big one of the leading smartphone platforms already is, just 3 years in. It's going to get a whole lot bigger.

I found this in my bookmarks today, I think it's maintained by a NeoGaf user but I'm not sure...

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AhgRT6je5eOcdG16cFZTV2JHQTVoTndocnhlNlpVX0E&hl=en&single=true&gid=0&output=html

Either way, it's a handy reference of monthly NPD numbers starting from the launches of Wii and PS3.

That's very handy, that. I was overestimating how 'badly' 360 did in the first half of the year, but this shows that Stanley's idea that 360 sold 'steady' throughout the year and the launch of 360 S and Kinect had no impact is rubbish.

360 sales Jan - May - 1,493,200 (299,000 a month)

360 sales Jun - Oct - 2,160,889 (432,000 a month)

That's some leap. In fact, you can take October out of the bargain altogether - it sold more in the four months between June and Sept than it did in the first five months of the year. As a benchmark, that's not true of PS3, which really did sell at a steadier rate.

Also helps to show how long PS2 sales held on for - a brief glance shows it was still selling over a million in December 2007 (outselling PS3 in the process, and not far behind 360 or Wii), yet no one could say the launch of the three new systems hadn't had an impact. Sales don't just drop to 0.

Slim came out in June in the US.

May sales - 194,600

June sales - 451,700

July sales - 443,500

So we can safely say 360 S had an impact. Sales more than doubled, both from May, and year on year.

It's harder to pinpoint how much of an impact Kinect had, given the time of year it came out, and the momentum 360 has from S anyway. It came out in November.

October sales - 325,000

November sales - 1,370,000

December sales - 1,860,000

That's a daft comparison to make though, given that sales would, have course, gone up in the last few months of the year. A better comparison is with 2009's sales in the same month.

Nov-Dec 2009 - 2,129,500

Nov-Dec 2010 - 3,230,000

Given it was 360's 6th Christmas, it would have been especially unlikely that the platform would have achieved its best ever Christmas in 2010 without the aid of some kind of relaunch or new SKU. Essentially, what I'd say was, the launch of 360 S in the summer had a massive short term effect, kickstarting sales that were naturally dropping a bit, and Kinect's launch was perfectly timed for Christmas and combined with the momentum already behind the platform to result in a big increase. It's probably 50:50.

How did ramone suggest it had had no impact? That'd be an interesting read, given we only got the sales for the December last week.

When did the slim come out?

Didn't Ramone establish that the Kinect didn't have a huge impact on sales and it was the release of the slim that made the difference..?

I don't think Ramone has established anything with regard to Kinect's sales.

He has, however, 'interpreted' a great deal. None of which has any basis in sales, though he did establish his own 'casual pie' theory.