RLLMUK's Official Sales Figures 2011

Boyatsea

With regard to iOS's impact, there is only a finite supply of disposable income out there. Sales of Apple products will be at the expense of other goods including DS's/PS3 and more but there is no precise way of measuring the impact, you can only examine trends and attempt to explain them.

Why is everyone making the assumption that purchasing of consumer goods is a zero sum game?

Of course people have a finite disposable income, but buying one item doesn't preclude you from buying another one, no matter how similar they are. If people want something, they'll buy it. Buying an iPhone doesn't preclude you from also purchasing a DS, a new TV or a holiday to Greece.

The crux of the argument is whether smartphones will fulfil the gaming needs of their owners to the point that they won't feel the need to buy a 3DS or PSP2. This is not to do with economics, but desirability. If you want a Nintendo 3DS game, regardless of ownership of other gaming devices, you will by a 3DS. If you want to play Monster Hunter on the go, you'll buy a PSP. If you just want to play Angry Birds and already own an iPhone, you'll stick with that.

Which goes back to the point that, regardless how 'casual' they were, the reason people bought the DS was to play Nintendo games. The same will hold true of the 3DS, so logic dictates that smartphone ownership will not impact the 3DS to a great degree.

I have no idea whether the 3DS will match the astonishing success of the DS. However, poor sales of the 3DS would be more to do with Nintendo dropping the ball Sony-PS3-style, and losing the momentum and marketability of the DS. I don't think that smartphones in their current form are the big threat to Nintendo as it is being made out here.

So we can safely say 360 S had an impact. Sales more than doubled, both from May, and year on year.

That's a daft comparison to make though, given that sales would, have course, gone up in the last few months of the year. A better comparison is with 2009's sales in the same month.

Nov-Dec 2009 - 2,129,500

Nov-Dec 2010 - 3,230,000

Given it was 360's 6th Christmas, it would have been especially unlikely that the platform would have achieved its best ever Christmas in 2010 without the aid of some kind of relaunch or new SKU. Essentially, what I'd say was, the launch of 360 S in the summer had a massive short term effect, kickstarting sales that were naturally dropping a bit, and Kinect's launch was perfectly timed for Christmas and combined with the momentum already behind the platform to result in a big increase. It's probably 50:50.

So after the S launched, sales doubled. After the launch of Kinekt, sales were less than double - the proportionate increase year-on-year actually fell. Kinekt had a negative impact on sales? Oof.

BIG WINKY SMILEY.

Why not?

I'm thinking mainly of an influx of nongamers who doesn't necessarily want to use it for games, but want access to 3D movies and the "lifestyle" software.

[edit] + a fair amount of (HD console) gamers who never had a Nintendo handheld before but want in because of the 3D and upgraded hardware.

I'm thinking mainly of an influx of nongamers who doesn't necessarily want to use it for games, but want access to 3D movies and the "lifestyle" software.

I can't see that happening at all. How are they going to distribute the movies, out of interest? I assume they'll be more expensive than Bluray, however they're doing it.

Why not?

[edit] + a fair amount of (HD console) gamers who never had a Nintendo handheld before but want in because of the 3D and upgraded hardware.

Genuinely interesting view, if only because it highlights the different reasons the various folk put down to people buying gaming hardware, I guess.

I don't think there's any doubt that the 3D tech will inspire a hell of a lot of sales, but if you're talking 180 million - 200 million - a total number no other console has come anywhere near touching as of yet - then that's going to require one hell of a drive for 3D handhelds.

Let's be fair, any console that sells over 80 million is pretty damn successful. To add another 100 million on top of that - well, that would be something.

Oof, the 360 only just manages to keep its nose ahead of the PS2. Its LTD figure is not going to increase much more if it continues to perform so badly. Mass Effect 2 only sells 8k copies too.

They still trying though. And pissing of their core audience while at it:

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/11/13/microsoft-banning-pantsu-on-xbox-360-to-target-families/

LINKY NSFW!

I can't see that happening at all. How are they going to distribute the movies, out of interest? I assume they'll be more expensive than Bluray, however they're doing it.

Did you watch nintys e3 show, they said they are going to do 3d movies and showed a list of the partners they have which looked like most if not all the big studios.

Did you watch nintys e3 show, they said they are going to do 3d movies and showed a list of the partners they have which looked like most if not all the big studios.

I don't doubt that film studios are quite happy to sell their films to as many audiences as possible. What I don't think is particularly likely is that people will buy movies to watch on their 3DS once the initial excitement of the hardware has worn off. I imagine there'll be plenty of people who'll be interested in trying movies on the 3DS but I don't think they'll be supported long after the novelty wears off.

See: UMD movies.

I would hope that they would be streaming movies rather than buying them on a cartridge.

Well, the format doesn't matter so much (aside from the cost advantage of no physical media), I think it's more the issue of people spending money to watch films on 3DS. That's the issue. I say that as someone who regularly watches stuff (TV show episodes, not films) on my phone and I know other people do the same but I just can't see people paying to watch films over a sustained period of time.

Assuming they don't price everything ridiculously cheaply. I can see parents being prepared to pay a few pounds to shut a kid up for a couple of hours, but unless it is priced at an impulse purchase price then I can't see it happening. I suppose it all depends what the selling point is, if it's a cheap rental diversion then I think it's viable, if it's a premium 3D product, I don't see people paying up.

Fair enough if you feel differently but I don't know anyone who buys tv/films to watch on iPod/iPhone and I don't know anyone who doesn't have one, pretty much. I just had a quick look and Apple rentals start at 99p (for stuff I generally don't recognise) to £9.99 for the latest stuff for an outright purchase. That'll be stuff you can watch on your phone, laptop or TV. Unless Nintendo at least compete with that pricing I can't see it working out. I presume pricing hasn't been announced yet though.