3DS launch apathy

Major Britten

I am pretty amazed by the lack of enthusiasm for the 3DS. Last year at E3 when Nintendo announced the system and games nearly everyone was blown away and said they were getting one, now it seems that most people arent that interested. Why is that? Is it because of the high price (which was expected anyway), is it because of the battery life, are people just happy with their mobile phones for portable gaming or did Sony steal some of Nintendo's thunder with the NGP?

The system is now 4 days away from launch in Japan and just a month away for the rest of us yet there doesnt seem to be any excitement for the launch in this forum or the gaming sites. Also people are complaining about the launch lineup of games, sure there is no Mario there or anything earth shattering but imo the launch lineup is one of the strongest I have ever seen for any platform. The first Pilotwings game we have had in 12 years, a new Dead or Alive game which has been 6 years since DoA4, a new Ridge Racer built from the ground up for the 3DS. A fantastic port of Super Street Fighter 4 which has a huge amount of new extras and looks set to be the premier online title for the system. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars which is the newest game from Julian Gallop (creator of Xcom and Rebelestar), then theres Pro Evolution Soccer, Super Monkey Ball and Nintendogs + Cats (if thats your thing). And that is all on day 1! How is that a crap launch? Also this year we have the following to look forward to;

Kid Icarus

Super Mario Bros

Paper Mario

Resident Evil

Animal Crossing

Mario Kart

Kingdom Hearts

Professor Layton

Contra

Harvest Moon

Cave Story

Ninja Gaiden

Star Fox

Ocarina of Time

Metal Gear Solid 3

And that just some of whats been announced now, theres still alot of new stuff we dont about. So why does it seem like people have no interest at all?

For me there's a lack of enthusiasm simply because none of the launch games really appeal so maybe later this year when there's more games out I'll give it another look. Got to play with one of these in Game the other day (they had literally just got it in a few hours before I tried it) and it is a nice bit of kit but 3D wouldn't really be part of the appeal for myself so I'm waiting to see what the games are like in 2D first as well.

Hmm. Maybe.

Personally i don't own one of these new fandangled devices (and don't care for them TBH) but the PSP2 has me salvating.

Ninty's line up might as well be retro remakes and short of Starfox and Pilotwings i've lost complete interest in the others on a portable format.

I'm just fed up of seeing the same games being resold with a few slight graphical tweaks and OMG 3D. The Ghost Recon one is appealing, the rest has been seen and done before. The 3D effect alone for existing games is not enough for a new console.

I am pretty amazed by the lack of enthusiasm for the 3DS. Last year at E3 when Nintendo announced the system and games nearly everyone was blown away and said they were getting one, now it seems that most people arent that interested. Why is that? Is it because of the high price (which was expected anyway), is it because of the battery life, are people just happy with their mobile phones for portable gaming or did Sony steal some of Nintendo's thunder with the NGP?

The system is now 4 days away from launch in Japan and just a month away for the rest of us yet there doesnt seem to be any excitement for the launch in this forum or the gaming sites. Also people are complaining about the launch lineup of games, sure there is no Mario there or anything earth shattering but imo the launch lineup is one of the strongest I have ever seen for any platform. The first Pilotwings game we have had in 12 years, a new Dead or Alive game which has been 6 years since DoA4, a new Ridge Racer built from the ground up for the 3DS. A fantastic port of Super Street Fighter 4 which has a huge amount of new extras and looks set to be the premier online title for the system. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars which is the newest game from Julian Gallop (creator of Xcom and Rebelestar), then theres Pro Evolution Soccer, Super Monkey Ball and Nintendogs + Cats (if thats your thing). And that is all on day 1! How is that a crap launch? Also this year we have the following to look forward to;

Kid Icarus

Super Mario Bros

Paper Mario

Resident Evil

Animal Crossing

Mario Kart

Kingdom Hearts

Professor Layton

Contra

Harvest Moon

Cave Story

Ninja Gaiden

Star Fox

Ocarina of Time

Metal Gear Solid 3

And that just some of whats been announced now, theres still alot of new stuff we dont about. So why does it seem like people have no interest at all?

Didn't you say the same thing about Kinect? iirc

edit: or to that extent, negative anecdotal evidence = not reality

Edited by fawlty

Many adverts here in Japan. Huge display cases in Akihabara too. I'm even considering buying one after seeing Ridge Racer running.

there`s lots of ads, but there definitely feels like a lack of buzz.. noones talking about it much in the office either...

I was mildly interested in the 3DS but now I've switched to not really caring much at all for two reasons. 1) As other people have already mentioned, I'm used to the app store, I can already buy pretty good portable games for less than £5. 2) The line-up. The list the OP made at the top didn't make me excited at all. All I see are ports of old games, and franchise refreshes that will take forever to come out and will (especially in Animal Crossing's case) most likely be incremental updates.

Once I see something new and interesting (like Ouendan on the DS), then I'll probably change my mind. At the moment I just don't see much reason to get really excited.

Also people are complaining about the launch lineup of games, sure there is no Mario there or anything earth shattering but imo the launch lineup is one of the strongest I have ever seen for any platform. The first Pilotwings game we have had in 12 years, a new Dead or Alive game which has been 6 years since DoA4, a new Ridge Racer built from the ground up for the 3DS. A fantastic port of Super Street Fighter 4 which has a huge amount of new extras and looks set to be the premier online title for the system. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars which is the newest game from Julian Gallop (creator of Xcom and Rebelestar), then theres Pro Evolution Soccer, Super Monkey Ball and Nintendogs + Cats (if thats your thing).

5 years since DOA4 but lets be honest, not only is it far from a system seller but no one really cares about it. SSF4 is pretty much just a port of a game thats been out for some time, hardly a system seller. Pro Evo, SMBall and Nintendogs+Cats are all pretty much the same as previous iterations and hardly system sellers.

Really thats the problem, there are no standout titles to sell the machine, and there isn't the same buzz over the screen as there was over the original DS. Then there is the price, even with the discounting going on, it's simply not a must have purchase. The games coming in the future aren't a reason to be excited now in the launch line up

I think part of it is down to the fact that people's perception of value for portable gaming has changed. The AppStore has put a lot of people off paying £30 for a handheld game ever again, I reckon.

This. It's the first games console I've put a preorder in for, then cancelled.

The iPhone is perfectly capable of scratching a pocket gaming need, the games are cheap, it's easy to get new games, there are lots of new games, and it's always with me. I don't see the space a 3DS would fill, or expect it would simply lie on a shelf like the DS and PSP.

I think the other problem is that its difficult to get a guage on the system. Since the 3d can only be picked up by the human eye, it hasnt really translated well with their marketing.

This is also true. I imagine some will change their minds when they spend a bit of time with the 3D.

I'm getting one simply because it makes financial sense for me to own one (for obvious reasons). But I was excited about the DS and Wii in a way I'm not about this, after the initial buzz of that original E3 showing (which was mostly down to that Pikmin slide). Nintendo's previous two consoles both felt like something genuinely different; this is more of the same with a pretty graphical effect that is likely to get switched off after the initial wow factor has worn off.

It's not that I think it's a crap launch, it's just a crap launch for me. I've tried to make it a promise to myself that I only buy new games that I really, really want to try and keep my spending down, and all of the games that the 3DS is launching with are ones that I would only consider buying for the sake of it. There's nothing there that genuinely excites me. And of course, in order to keep my spending down, there's no use me buying a console at a point where there's nothing I actually want to play on it.

(In context - I never played Pilot Wings properly on the N64, though I reckon of all the games it is the one I'd be most likely to buy, I don't like fighting games or racing games really and I don't see Nintendogs as much of a game)

Plus the other things: I need to be sure that I will be comfortable with the 3D (I have astigmatism in both eyes to varying degrees), it is expensive for someone without a paycheck until the summer to blow some savings on, the battery is a moderate concern but not a complete deal breaker as I tend to play portable games in bed... I think that's it.

For the most part though, when a game comes out I really want, I'll go for it :)

This is also true. I imagine some will change their minds when they spend a bit of time with the 3D.

I'm getting one simply because it makes financial sense for me to own one (for obvious reasons). But I was excited about the DS and Wii in a way I'm not about this, after the initial buzz of that original E3 showing (which was mostly down to that Pikmin slide). Nintendo's previous two consoles both felt like something genuinely different; this is more of the same with a pretty graphical effect that is likely to get switched off after the initial wow factor has worn off.

Eh? You've left me confused with that one.

Why is it financially sensible to buy one for obvious reasons?

I think the initial surge of interest was down to it being the next Ninty. It'll be fine and sell brilliantly, typically. However, i'm convinced the PSP2 is in fact a genius idea with a solid usp. With iPhone gaming, where is there to go? Well, go big and put a full under-the-telly console in their hands. At the moment, perhaps the PSP2 has stolen the thunder?

I think the other problem is that its difficult to get a guage on the system. Since the 3d can only be picked up by the human eye, it hasnt really translated well with their marketing.

I think this too; this is certainly what is causing me to be a little reserved in my expectations.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars which is the newest game from Julian Gallop (creator of Xcom and Rebelestar)

Woah, did I hear that right? Julian Gollop of Xcom fame is making one of the launch titles?!! Is it going to be a turn-based stratgey game?

pre-ordered