3DO M2 on ebay...

super_quincy

Man, I remember reading about the M2 prior to release and I was well looking forward to it coming out, I loved my 3DO, had some fantastic stuff released for it in my opinion. Interesting to see the controller they had planned for it was an N64 rip off judging from one of the pictures on the auction. :D

I was looking forward to the M2 back in the day and was disappointed when it was canned but something occured to me about how future planning for it may have hurt the first 3DO. 3DO forced developers to code for the OS and only the OS in order to ensure future compatibility. While this made development easy it annoyed some developers who wanted to code at a more low level, and reduced overall system performance as the OS inhabited RAM and forbade low level optimisation. So if the M2 hardware we have is the same as what would have shipped as a console, we can see that after they limited development techniques for compatibility's sake the M2 wasn't even 3DO compatible. What a waste of time. Nice going 3DO!

So if the M2 hardware we have is the same as what would have shipped as a console, we can see that after they limited development techniques for compatibility's sake the M2 wasn't even 3DO compatible. What a waste of time. Nice going 3DO!

Not only that, but there was no plausible way for the M2 (or Bulldog, as it was originally known) to work as a hardware add-on for the standard 3DO. The 3DO Company must've known that promoting the 3DO as a completely 'future proof' games console was unadulterated bullshit.

all those stories about consoles being repackaged for other industries reminds me of being on a Virgin Atlantic flight about 10 years ago.. and the in flight map (you know the one where it has a little picture of the plane over the map) came up with an Amiga "Guru Meditation" error..... nice.

Was discussing this with Trip Hawkins the other day and he seems to think it was either pilfered direct from the offices or bought from a bankruptcy trustee. He's rather interested to see if the buyer can get it up and running.

Or, I seem to remember one year, at the E.C.T.S, one of the companies were handing out "3 do-do" stickers, sure I have some of them at my Mum's house somewhere, lol.

Wasn't that the "Dont buy a Do-do, buy a 3DO" stickers ? Most ironic marketing campaign ever.

Wasn't that the "Dont buy a Do-do, buy a 3DO" stickers ? Most ironic marketing campaign ever.

How about the ad in Edge which featured real feathers stuck to the page. Cue irate asthmatics.

Like this but with added feathers.

http://www.batracien.fr/images/3do-add-dont-play-dodo.png

Apparently it featured in issue 27, Dec 95.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Edge-Magazine-Issue-27-December-1995-/170608371767