IGNORED

The Miniatures and Scale model appreciation thread

JoeK

For my loyalist marines I'm being very original and going for dark angels. The main problem I have is judging how much to highlight. My usual approach leaves them looking very flat so I'm thinking I need to keep the highlights much sharper. But any help would be gratefully appreciated.

For my loyalist marines I'm being very original and going for dark angels. The main problem I have is judging how much to highlight. My usual approach leaves them looking very flat so I'm thinking I need to keep the highlights much sharper. But any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Well, I've never painted a Dark Angel myself, so I reckon it'll be fun to see where it goes! I'll give it a whirl over the weekend and pop some stuff onto the GW Appreciation thread and see what happens.

I'll have to use a bog standard marine, but it should work out okay though!

Managed to grab some of my mate's models for a shooting sesh tomorrow. I think he's really good, so watch this space!

EDIT: here is a selection. Please bear in mind I haven't done any work on any of these models. I'm just the photographer!

8059201372_8b05e3a1d7_b.jpg

8059203909_579c29df1c_c.jpg

8059201894_2413000892_c.jpg

8059200788_f8884c7566_c.jpg

8059201710_8d7728c844_c.jpg

8059201002_eda1411d46_c.jpg

8059199588_5b2971f077_c.jpg

8059202395_18d8cda0c4_c.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Missed those! Decent shots and decent figures :)

I've been busy painting away on a pretty big figure at the moment - once again for the Twilight range. Whilst not huge in the monster stakes compared to some of the GW ones, it's still by far the biggest figure I've worked on. Really enjoying it, but I've found I've had to alter my techniques a little bit for it.

Anyway, here you go:

BelanWIP1.jpg

Lots of work to do - especially on the skin and the stripes. The blue on the legs is going to be changed quite a bit - don't think it quite works there. However, tomorrow's one of my painting days (seeing as I now do a limited amount of commission jobs a week, I kind of need to separate these things!), and the bags are gonna get done :)

Trollolololol! Thought I'd better get some practise at painting Reaper Bones -since the kickstarter will be delivering a wheelbarrow load come february - so did this quicky. Apologies for the base, will probably knock up something dungeony and add him to the general fantasy game menagerie. Armpit hair much more ginger in real life :)

2qki5js.jpg

Good job there :) . How are those Bones figures? I've yet to see one in the flesh, and whilst I've not heard anything bad said against them, they do say that the detail is not quite the same as on traditional plastic/resin - although they never said it would be I guess.

The Bones material is... ok. Bad points: It's very flexible, I wouldn't want anything with delicate parts such as spear shafts as it would just bend too much (unbreakable mind) it's ok for big lumps like the troll above but even that has significant flex. Multiple mould lines -they must be from some kind of multipart mould- which are hard to see on the white material but come off easy enough (when you find them..)

Good points: Detail is pretty good, it's a little hard to judge as the few figures they've released so far are quite old, when the newer KS sculpts arrive it'll be easier to judge, I've certainly seen worse. You don't need a spray undercoat and can paint straight onto the plastic - in practise this means your first coat needs to be a solid undercoat layer and there may be one or two stubborn spots where it doesn't want to adhere, but it works. I always find spray undercoating a hassle so to be able to bust a figure out of the packet and paint more or less straight away is very liberating.

And of course the best bit is the price, which about what I remember paying for my first minis in 1991!

http://miniature-heroes.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=487_625&zenid=a8ff967c9239fd845713f1187c104320

I think the pocket money price adds to the impulse paint feel - there's no need to feel intimidated about putting them. I also painted up a purple worm, I gave it too heavy a wash towards the end and squashed all the highlights, very annoying -but it only cost two quid after all :)

35je1ic.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So I finished off the big beast a little while ago:

belan5.jpg

At the mo, I've now got around 5 different figures on the go! This one is very nearly done - another one for Twilight, but in contrast to the one above, it's absolutely dinky (just over 1cm high I think)...proved to be a right bastard to paint. This was the second attempt!

prepre2.jpg

prepre1.jpg

Work on a Kingdom Death figure. God knows what the real colours are in the range - it's something that kind of bugs me and I don't know why :P - but I've always thought he looks vaguely chaotic, and slightly Khorne-esque, so my colour choice has been slightly skewed towards the reds and purples.

Everything about it is in flux, but it's been enjoyable to paint up so far - only wish the head was seperate. If I ever do another one, his bonce is getting chopped off and something else is gonna be put there!

Forge.jpg

Pretty much done on him now. For me, it's one of the nicer KD figures - the sculpting on the cloak bits are astonishingly lovely, but far too much silly detail on the handle of the hammer for my liking.

Still, enjoyable enough to paint up. On to the next I guess!

IMG_0583.jpg

IMG_0584.jpg

IMG_0586.jpg

IMG_0585.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, it took a little while after the new year to get back in the swing of things again, but happily I managed to get four more commission figures done. This one is once more from the Twilight range of figures - I think I'm slowly painting up all of 'em :P

kosokfinal_zps325560f0.jpg

• 1 month later...

Currently gearing up for the Salute show on the 20th April. Not content with being on a stand with three other mini companies, I'm busy painting up a huge amount of Twilight figures at the moment. Not my forte doing so much with so little time, but we're getting there (and besides, it's a fair amount of money involved, so naturally am quite keen to do it!). Here is a really shoddy photo of the first four...

malitia1_zps3c2ef767.jpg

Oh, and some...erm...Eggsticks. Apparently, they're objective markers within the game!

eggstick3_zps14e5644f.jpg

Another one:

plut1_zpsd8cc35a1.jpg

plut2_zpsf130dfdf.jpg

plut3_zps713a4ad6.jpg

plut4_zps758d14b0.jpg

Really annoying to photograph, as try as I might the silver comes across terribly harsh, whilst in reality it's actually quite nice. The bronze came out nicely though :) .

More painting to come!

Cheers! I do feel like I'm starting to get the hang of some of it now - moving onto the highlights this year (last year was all about basecoats, washes and details) has really made a difference so far. I haven't drybrushed anything for ages ;)

The minis are from a boardgame - I fancied them just because they're a little different and cartoony, and I'd just done the Ultramarine Dreadnaught which was all death and serious: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/100901/flash-point-fire-rescue