IGNORED

The Miniatures and Scale model appreciation thread

JoeK

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Joe how do you paint fur? I have a bunch of warg riders and I'm a little uncertain on the best approach. I'm not very good at srybrushing and I find it difficult to get much definition when using washing and glazes.

There's a lot of trial and error when it comes to fur, but generally I would use a slightly watery mix of paints and then use the side of the brush to lightly brush on the highlights. In between the increasing highlighting its usually a good idea to use thin glazes to tie everything together and after all that I'd then use the tip of the brush to pick out the very edges of the fur. Its not an especially precise method I have to say. When it works its fine, but I do find myself redoing stuff too!

• 2 weeks later...

are these miniatures you own collection or part of a commission? I imagine they look very impressive all together.

I've been messing around with sedition wars. the strain models are a lot of fun to paint and I've been trying out lots of different techniques with them. I still can't do armoured SciFi humans though. this is my favourite so far:

9279131593_01cd21071e_z.jpg

glad i found this thread.

I was obsessed as a kid painting minatures, i actualy won a citadel comp when I was 15, I guess it was the thing that kickstarted my little career.

Obsessively looking through the hand drawn compendiums showing the releases of the day was so much fun and an obsession.

Joyrex, MIG paints are the best I think

• 2 weeks later...

Currently working on a whole load of stuff for my mate Alex. He runs Warploque Miniatures, and as from 1st August there's gonna be a big old Kickstarter for it all. He sculpts everything himself, and both me and my other chum are kind of in the thick of it pushing him and helping with the whole thing. It's great fun, and he's a bloody awesome sculptor (and he's only 20...grr). Anyhoo, I'm going for a Captain Le Chuck feel to the first one...

1075798_10151597212978576_1012081106_n.j

970800_10151597213003576_1216196915_n.jp

1002860_10151597213013576_499023725_n.jp

The good captain's undead crew:

562633_10151607154478576_667319219_n.jpg

And a group shot of 'em all with a couple of rats (got another 6 of these buggers to do...)

935106_10151607154503576_497216168_n.jpg

EDIT: Should point out that the figures are not glued onto the bases - because they're being used in the promotional stuff, chances are we're doing other bases for them as well!

*Gets excited at finding this thread*

*Thinks this could be a great place to talk about refound-love of miniature painting*

*Opens thread, looks through pics*

*Closes thread*

*Thinks*

*Breaks brushes in two and throws paints away*

*Gets excited at finding this thread*

*Thinks this could be a great place to talk about refound-love of miniature painting*

*Opens thread, looks through pics*

*Closes thread*

*Thinks*

*Breaks brushes in two and throws paints away*

You'll be surprised at how fast your skill improves (particularly as an adult) - don't be disheartened!

Also, this thread is very useful for picking up helpful techniques. Using a wet palette (home-made with a cheap tupperware box, some greaseproof paper, kitchen towel and water) was the single best thing that ever happened to my painting.

Just a thin (~2mm) layer of water in the box to start with, absorbed through the kitchen towel - I don't put any on top of the greaseproof paper (though I do push the greaseproof paper down to remove air pockets). That's enough to keep my paint liquid for a good afternoon of painting, followed by a few more days with the lid on

Ah, I misinterpreted (downside of flicking through in a break) - I do still thin my paint with water - indirectly through wetting the brush before picking up the paint, and directly adding it when I want to thin the paint to make it more of a wash/because I'm using a particularly thick paint. What I don't need to do is maintain it - once I have the paint at a consistency I like, it will stay that consistency.

You'll be surprised at how fast your skill improves (particularly as an adult) - don't be disheartened!

Also, this thread is very useful for picking up helpful techniques. Using a wet palette (home-made with a cheap tupperware box, some greaseproof paper, kitchen towel and water) was the single best thing that ever happened to my painting.

Cheers mate. I will admit I seem to be picking it up faster then when I last tried 15 years ago. At the moment I'm trying to get a Mantic dwarf army done and ready. My aim is beating the three feet rule, which I think getting to.

I'm five units down since January, and I have noticed an improvement already. I look forward to reading through the tips here. I'm always open to new approaches.

Anyway, here's my most recent effort:

2013-07-18200304_zps526384bf.jpg

2013-07-18204034_zpsa4b5161a.jpg

Dunno what you're worrying about. Nice clean base coating, a good wash that's giving them a nice cartoony look and decent basing. The look great!

Those Mantic Dwarfs are deceptively hard, I find. They look all nice and simple but, similar to space marines, the large flat areas and slight lack of detailing mean that having a lack of confidence with working fabric etc makes them stubborn as buggery.

I agree they look really good. When starting off you need to concentrate on the basics of neatly applying a smooth base coat and it looks like you are doing well in that regard. Everything is in the right place and the wash makes the details pop.

Yep, those are lovely looking dwarves - nicer than my sorry attempt at painting a unit (a squad of ironclads is my current project, too) - nothing to be ashamed of at all!

Thanks guys. I'm thinking my attempts at the moment are competent, but I wounldn't go further than that. However, I do feel more confident now in experimenting as I go along. I had a go at greyscaling on the cannon battery I'm working on right now. It didn't work out for me, but I like the result of priming white, washing black and highighting white again before applying the base coat. I think I'll keep that up for the rest of the army.

OK, I think I'll go read this whole thread now and start making notes. Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

It's about time someone brought the tone of this thread down. I believe I am that person.

I finished my cannon battery over the weekend. I'm not 100% happy with it, but it's the first time I've painted more than a single mini ona 25mm base.

2013-08-26203007_zps95c48eca.jpg

2013-08-26203059_zpsd4f4418b.jpg

I learned a lot from this part of my project. First off - don't fix large models to the base until after they've been painted. Some of the primer can be seen on the minis where I couldn't get a brush after I'd already pinned them to the base, and that's going to bother me in future.

Second - test out basing schemes beforehand. I was thinking to use the same grit I do on my infantry, but thought it might be too much on a 50mm base, so I decided to break it up with some Stirland Mud textured paint, and IMO the result ended up looking like an iced donut. As an aside, the flash really makes it look like the terracota pigment I used to fill in gaps on the grit stands out, but to the naked eye it's pretty much indistinguishable.

Lastly - don't use the Army Painter quickshade dip when it's cold. You can see on a few parts of the minis where it glooped together. The Mantic dwarf capes are a particular pain for this. I'm going to thin the dip down with soem white spirits and use a brush from no on, I think.

Aside from that, I'm on target to finish this amry I have before the end of the year, which would make it my first fully painted army, something which I never managed when I wargamed as a teenager, so I'm happy about that.

I'm taking a break from the dwarf fantasy stuff next though until I've painted up this DUST Walker I've had sitting on my shelves for the past few months.

I'm no expert, but those look great to me! I couldn't even successfully splash poster paint around, so am always a bit in awe of decent model painters.

That's reminded me to post a pic of two models my friend painted up for me:

drzzt.jpg

Apologies for the crappy cameraphone pic. Drizzt and Athrogate from the D&D Drizzt game. Considering these are cheap, bendy plastic models the job he's done is superb.