The Miniatures and Scale model appreciation thread

Guys, I need your opinions on something - what to paint next.  I have a list of stuff to jump on next, but I'm unsure what to do.

First option - Confrontation Wolfen

Qg35rzk.jpghttps://imgur.com/Qg35rzk

I've been chipping away at my Confrontation collection for a while, but haven't painted any Wolfen in over a year Completing these two would give me a full, comptetive painted list to play.

Option two - Confrontation Griffins

ECPVSCe.jpg

I've got a large collection of Griffins. I've started  a large chucnk but yet to finish. While Confrontation is a game I'm least likely to find players for, I could use these models for Mordheim if needed.

Option three - Saga vikings

cMpSG9t.jpg

I started these a while back and never finished them. I have a hankering to get them done and am ready to buy the last two points to finish off the warband.

Option for - Malifaux Seamus

7EZlnNj.jpg

As I'm just finishing up these Malifaux Ressers now I could carry on with more of the same faction. These six models plus some of the ones I've already painted up will make a full Seamus crew ready to go.

So, thoughts?

45 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Those vortex mixers aren't cheap, are they? Are they normally that expensive or has lockdown made the prices creep up like almost everything else?

Yeah I was looking at them last night and they seem to be at least £80 for a legit one. Which is like 30 pots of paint. I could just replace the ones I’m trying to revive. 

A little OT and a cross post from the brexit forum, but I went to buy some small things from some UK retailers, because I've been doing it since 2016 when the pound took a pounding due to brexit but this is the first time since Jan 1st when the relationship ended and..... damn, check out these shipment costs:

TjzSdzJ.png

fOuZfHx.png

Pre Jnuary those postage costs would have been around $8 and $12 respectively.

Lost of people here got stuff from UK retailers because the exchange rate made it sensible, even with postage, which was eveer too high. But now? Yeesh.

I backed this years ago when it was on Kickstarter:

https://steamforged.com/games/dark-souls-board-game

So I've got the normal game, plus loads of additional models, etc.

If I wanted to get someone, with the kind of skills I see on show in this thread, to paint them so I can put them on display somewhere; what's the normal going rate for doing something along these lines?

Is it usually priced per model, per set ( ? ), based on the size / complexity of each model, etc?

There's generally a lot of factors that go into a commission - first you need to work out what sort of style you want them painted in. Games Workshop cartoony style? grim dark style? etc. then to what standard you want them painted. a lot of painters do "tabletop standard" which is pretty basic but servicable. then theres tabletop plus, high standard, display standard etc. plus when do you want the models back by? some commissions can take days for tabletop-ish standard. Others can take weeks if not months depending on the level they work to, plus working on things in and around other commitments.
Like any work, it comes down to time + skill, internally an artist will work out a time budget then depending on how good they are will usually revise this up some. If you want something painted quicker than they usually work at, expect to pay more. How many models is it total?

I took on a warhammer tank commission the other day for £400 to be done by June. However i also have an open ended WW2 German plane commission that ive had since October and im still working on the engine, and will probably be working on that most of the year.

Personally I don't often take figure sized commissions because i don't find them enjoyable. However if i had space in my current commission schedule, i'd heavily consider it as its Dark Souls and feel the grim dark horror aesthetic i paint to would work well on these.

either way, if you want a high standard expect ££££

If I forget about the add-ons, it's 27 models in the base game ( you can see them from the link above ), mostly 'figure sized' with 5 larger ones for the bosses.

I'd want them to be done to look like they do in the game, so definitely not cartoony.

As far as time is concerned, however long it takes is fine with me, if it takes the best part of this year, then it wouldn't be an issue.

If anyone is interested, drop me a PM & we can discuss it further.

Thanks for replying Nicky.

That's a lot of work regardless of the quality so you want so make sure the person or company has a track record of painting such things. There's a big difference between painting a few models to painting a board game collection and for such an investment I'd want reassurance the person can deliver. You can always go with more than one painter, like a cheap bulk painter for the basic models and a higher quality artist for any favorites or centerpiece models.

Also, I'd recommend doing a test commission first before committing to the full project. 

I think you do a great job making all those details “readable”. I was looking at an otherwise incredible paint job on a Nurgle Guy (Typhus?) and although it was painted to a standard I could never dream of, readability wise it was a bit of a mess I think. You’ve nailed it here IMO.

1 minute ago, Davros sock drawer said:

I think you do a great job making all those details “readable”. I was looking at an otherwise incredible paint job on a Nurgle Guy (Typhus?) and although it was painted to a standard I could never dream of, readability wise it was a bit of a mess I think. You’ve nailed it here IMO.

I try and take a 'less is more' approach to painting most of the time. Obviously, the details on a sculpt will dictate that a little bit, but I'm not a fan of overly detailed figures from a painting standpoint really. I find the new GW figures are pretty much at the level of detail I can paint without starting to piss me off!

It's one of the things I found when making figures for myself. You see these astonishing 'bare' sculpts from wonderfully talented people, and they're absolutely works of art by themselves. But a lot of the time there's been little thought into making them pieces to be painted up adequately without having better painting skills than Michelangelo, and patience of Buddha. Quite honestly, I have neither and if I did I probably wouldn't get the commissions I get because I'd charge far too much :P . 

I agree. I think from a painting standpoint I want enough details to make a model interesting, but the overall pose and impact of the figure is more important. 

This was the Typhus paint job btw. What do you guys think? 

2C074B45-C745-4C10-92C6-9DD9D130BE08.thumb.jpeg.08bd3ff370bf198f4468a98731925b7a.jpeg

Personally my eye struggles to see what’s going on here, although that could be down to the sculpt being so busy.

Edit: Typhus!

It's nicely painted, but I agree that everything gets 'lost' in the mix. It's where they've not looked at the piece as a whole and almost painted everything individually without thinking about the need for contrasts. 

Edit Edit:

Yeah, the horsemen are great - much nicer sculpts too. Everything follows one line and makes for a much more pleasing figure, and one that would almost paint itself I reckon.

19 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Edit Edit:

Yeah, the horsemen are great - much nicer sculpts too. Everything follows one line and makes for a much more pleasing figure, and one that would almost paint itself I reckon.

I have both those guys in my half-finished pile. I had been quite pleased with how they were going, but I’m now looking at them less favourably than I was! :lol:

Speaking of, I'm finally finishing one of my WIPs now.

150051829_10157401401407047_186243195468

Words cannot express how much I hate assembling miniatures, especially those on sprues that come with multiple poses.  But these hearthguard are done now so at least I'm on my way to getting these done. Nothing fancy, just block colour and dipping.