The Miniatures and Scale model appreciation thread

On 13/02/2021 at 11:47, The Hierophant said:

I think that Typhus figure is pretty poor. Yes technically great sculpt but far too busy. 

I agree. Also the pose is worse than the old model:

HZRGCn--6u3ABT9mgebV3CztJ7mIMghmjiP7TSl4

I much prefer this grim reaper pose, he's just walking at you with this heavy inevitability 

The new typhus looks loads better if you leave the cloud of flies off. IMHO. As does mortarion. 

though I’ve seen some good conversions of the new typhus where he’s holding up a marine or guard and giving them a bit of the Darth Vader treatment. 

Is there a word for when you paint something so utterly perfectly that you can’t quite believe it, and then you think “Maybe just a touch of paint here...” and then you fuck it up so totally that you can’t ever get it back to how it was, the model is pretty much a write off, and you never even took any photos so it feels like it was just a wonderful, impossible dream? 

Cos if there isn’t, there should be. :lol:

Yup.

It was a shoulder Pauldron. I had the hot spot highlight looking like it was from the GW website. I even had the little extra highlight line around the edge going on. It was so neat. So blended and realistic looking. I kept thinking it was a natural reflection, but no! I'd painted it.

And now it's just a thick blob of Kantor Blue again, only with so many layers applied it looks like fucking Artex. :lol:

Oh well, it's not like I don't have another gazillion of 'em to practice on.

Happens to us all, unfortunately. It used to be the case that if I messed up I'd certainly just throw the thing in a box and crack on with the next piece, but I'm too lazy even to do that these days! The thought of beginning again on something after going so far along usually puts me into a curious zen-like state and I can usually sort out the errors without having to strip.

The untold bonus of painting with mediums and the like means that I tend not to get much in the way of a paint build-up. I mean, the eldar piece I'm working on at the moment is actually something I got from the client fully painted already. Didn't take any paint off at all, and it's more a case of carefully going over everything and gradually build up the paint to get it where I (hope) it looks half-way decent.

If I ever finish my pile of shame and have run out of things to paint maybe I’ll go back to old models. I doubt it though.
Fuck up, learn, move on. repeat. 

1 hour ago, And said:

If I ever finish my pile of shame and have run out of things to paint maybe I’ll go back to old models. I doubt it though.
Fuck up, learn, move on. repeat. 

Yes, I'm trying to adopt that approach. I mean, 80% of my models are unfinished anyway, so one more doesn't hurt!

So long as I'm learning from my mistakes it's all good. And I've managed to repeat the success* of my first attempt on another model already, so it's not like it was a total fluke. 

* Well, nearly. This one is ok but the one I botched was fucking perfect I swear! 

It helps that most of the stuff I’m painting is for tabletop use rather than display, everything, good/bad/indifferent is banished to a cupboard under the stairs once it’s done. 

Trying to get more tones into the skin of these guys than just “flesh”. Went for some bruising purply pinks around the scar and forehead nodules, and some more grey/green in the sunken cheeks. No pupils yet. Too scared! 

C7989EA2-8945-49FF-8F7C-DE6B0FFBE683.thumb.jpeg.56c34ceb26e2278a56ae064110dfdc89.jpeg

66F01590-42A9-4F63-8558-32726E8C167A.thumb.jpeg.2f74cd73a08b3c27ecb397212accddce.jpeg

Oh, and see that falcon in the background? Any thoughts on whether I should go vibrant blues and greens like a parrot, or muted browns like this sparrow hawk that found its way into my house last summer:

4BF4C5B0-7EBC-441C-AA86-EF7EC7F0A1DE.thumb.jpeg.e8b1d2fcb14c9c8744ec843023028478.jpeg

Ah, cool.

I’ve been thinning down both my contrast and shade paints with medium this time, again to try and counteract my tendency to over-darken. 

This is how it looks with just the Reikland over white. Be very easy to just stop there but I’m trying to push myself.

4CEFD9A6-C3E4-417A-B81C-6B64D715C253.thumb.jpeg.3ce4279f557e9350f52e61f34a81e8bb.jpeg

(Head Swap courtesy of magnets!)

On 17/02/2021 at 06:12, Davros sock drawer said:

Yes, I'm trying to adopt that approach. I mean, 80% of my models are unfinished anyway, so one more doesn't hurt!

So long as I'm learning from my mistakes it's all good. And I've managed to repeat the success* of my first attempt on another model already, so it's not like it was a total fluke. 

* Well, nearly. This one is ok but the one I botched was fucking perfect I swear! 

Could always carefully remove the paint from that area with rubbing alcohol

your faces look amazing btw what the fuck

That’s very kind @Floshenbarnicalthank you. I’m winging it rather, but an initial thinned wash of Reikland Flesh Shade over a very bright white base coat seems to get me most of the way there. 

I’m experimenting with different colour schemes and paints with these 5 marines, and having a blast. I do recommend having a fiddle with magnets if anyone suffers from indecision like I do. It’s fiddly at first but once you get the hang of it you can quickly drill the holes, push the magnets in, and swap heads and arms at will. 

3EF48989-A588-4288-A53D-E99D69456BED.thumb.jpeg.44a73c8bec5d4d55267ae90695efac97.jpeg

1101A4EB-AD1A-4509-B1F6-9620D966B640.thumb.jpeg.1e3c782f65191ec9858a4b055f372c59.jpeg

My aim is to have each guy have two arm/weapon options and a helmeted/unhelmeted option. But it’s also useful in deciding poses and schemes at the outset.

Magnets aren’t an option for me sadly as my boys are covered in Green Stuff, but if I end up doing some dreadnoughts or something I’ll look into it. My thing is that I don’t get excited about vehicles or big ole dreadnoughts, I’m obsessed with infantry. I wonder if an infantry-only Wolves army would even be viable

I hear you. Although I'm finding them useful for all sorts of things - storage, priming, creating painting handles. 

For priming I have a steel ruler covered in tape. I glue a magnet to the base of each figure, and line up about ten of them in a row on the ruler to spray outside with a rattle can. 

I also have this magnetised head painting stick:

8B54850C-6DEB-408D-B2F5-7B2ABE47AF4F.thumb.jpeg.8d4a6a7a26b34db1dbc782f1532a42c9.jpeg

3 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

I hear you. Although I'm finding them useful for all sorts of things - storage, priming, creating painting handles. 

For priming I have a steel ruler covered in tape. I glue a magnet to the base of each figure, and line up about ten of them in a row on the ruler to spray outside with a rattle can. 

I also have this magnetised head painting stick:

8B54850C-6DEB-408D-B2F5-7B2ABE47AF4F.thumb.jpeg.8d4a6a7a26b34db1dbc782f1532a42c9.jpeg

Nice

I wish I could paint my heads separately but the green stuff puts the kibosh to that. I gave one guy an elaborate braided mullet, the braid winds all over the place and I'm dreading it :lol: