The Miniatures and Scale model appreciation thread

JoeK

Yup, it's a really cool piece! 

Dioramas and duels are always my favourite things to see in any painting competitions because when they're done well they can tell a fantastic little story, and I think this one does it really nicely. There's a genuine mood going on with it, and the distance between the two works in this case very well.

13 hours ago, The Bag said:

So I shared my entry for this month’s challenge on the ‘Eavier Metal group on FB and wtf is happening?!  I hoped for a few likes, this is insane.

7899BD4E-D900-4922-8026-7D9998A57D03.thumb.jpeg.70af0c4b1c74d9ecfa484ebdcb776599.jpeg

Look at Billy Big Bollocks over here, growing his reach and engagement.

(It's fucking ace.)

29 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Look at Billy Big Bollocks over here, growing his reach and engagement.

:lol:  now if I could only turn it into something useful...

But thanks guys, the response to this has seriously blown me away.  I'm still at the stage of now being able to see beyond the bits that didn't go to play/I don't like.

I made the slightly foolish decision to post a finished mini on Instagram every day apart from Sundays. At the moment it's working quite well, as I have a huge backlog of nearly finished minis, and this is making me focus on actually completing them rather than starting a load of new ones. It can't last, but that's ok. When that happens I'll just move to more WIP based stuff.

I've found these monthly challenges good for getting me to finish things, otherwise I'm the same I'll just fiddle with this or that.  With these it's the opposite feeling of "holy shit, what's happened to the time!" which may not be better :lol:

This is a new one on me - LotR dwarf. Not quite finished, but nearly there. Was determined to do most of it today, and I did so that's nice. They're fiddly as sin to do, and I didn't like doing much at all. Like most of the LotR stuff, I find the majority of the sculpting sub-par. Mostly because of the smaller scale, but also they're just...boring really. 

lotrdwarfwip1.jpg.1678bfbe0b584e40d27b6ade15eeb21e.jpg

Gotrik now...I like this figure, it's a nice sculpt. Bloody hate doing freehand though - as I've never had the patience for it. However, the £15 I spent on a 'fake' Optivisor (although quite honestly it looks just like the real ones to me ;) ) has been a god-send. I've always had good eye-sight, but these have really helped a lot with things - depth perception has been the thing that surprised me the most. I thought it might make things harder, but has actually made things considerably better! Go figure!

Anyway, here's an early wip:

DSC00810.JPG

On 25/03/2021 at 12:32, Seamonster said:

I need to do something like that. I just tinker endlessly...

Join us, this month is all about Flesh and fleshy things:

On 03/04/2021 at 18:16, Oracle said:

Join us, this month is all about Flesh and fleshy things:

I would do, but the thought of getting something painted and finished in the space of a month brings me out in a rash. Plus I'm not sure I have a mini that's appropriately fleshy enough...

I found a really old Joker figure in my attic. I remember it came out not long after the Killing Joke first came out, for some reason the sculpt didn't have fingers on his hands, so I added them along with scraps of hair (not 100% successfully) 

PSX_20210405_144558.jpg