The Miniatures and Scale model appreciation thread

28 minutes ago, Butters said:

Those are awesome. Great work @Cocky

Since I got back into painting I've only really looked at GW stuff. Are the Marvel ones easy to get hold of and if so, where from?

Here in the US they are easy to come by.as the manufacturer comes under the ownership of Asmodee who own a big chunk of the gaming industry. All of my local stores stock them as do the online gaming stores I use. Then there is amazon which is quite handy when it comes to birthdays and Christmas. I'd suspect it's similar in the UK.

That's Modok - he's about to get his own TV series

Love the green on She-Hulk and the lovely blend of Yellow Orange with Dr Strange's effects @Cocky - there's a lovely comic styling to them without it being over done.

Like a fool I've gone all in on Marvel United and the upcoming X-Men United which is running right now on Kickstarter. Not quite Crisis Protocol with the mini detail since they're Chibi style, but I'll have enough Marvel stuff to paint till the day I kick the bucket at this rate.

Honestly the Modok model was a lot of fun to paint and I've since added one to my own collection. Probably the best super I've painted so far.

CJ180.JPG?format=1000w

@Spatial

after missing out on mu I'm tempted by the x-men version. The models are a lot bigger than I realised, look easy to paint and even the basic pledge has a lot of models. The only sticking point is that I backed Trudvang, the one cmon kickstarter that's gone into development hell. I'm sure it'll arrive one day and when it does it's a big project. I do try to keep my unpainted pile manageable so I'm reluctant to add anything at the moment.

11 minutes ago, Cocky said:

Thank you just love the look of that Werewolf.

Having a look at the game the universe looks fascinating. 

Haven't picked up a paint brush in nearly two years but some of those miniatures makes me want to try again.

27 minutes ago, Arn X Treme said:

Thank you just love the look of that Werewolf.

Having a look at the game the universe looks fascinating. 

Haven't picked up a paint brush in nearly two years but some of those miniatures makes me want to try again.

I urge you to pick up something really basic and easy to go wild on before dabbling in the Infinity figures though - Cocky makes these things looks like a piece of cake to paint because he's a talented bugger, but they are really damn small and dinky in contrast to GW stuff :P

That said, it's been a long time since I've seen one in the flesh so there might have been scale creep since then?

Infinity models are perhaps taller than they used to be but the scale has become more realistic and the details are much finer. If you don't like to paint small details they might not be the models for you. That said there are lots of different ways to paint so maybe you can still enjoy them without spending a lot of time on each model.

Marvel spam:

MCP+100.JPG?format=1500w

For a long time it was hard to justify painting models for myself and anything I painted ended up on ebay. Business has picked up over the past year, which is an achievement in itself given everything else that happened, and as a result I can now paint as a hobby :)

For anyone tempted by those cheap airbrush kits on Amazon etc - don't bother.

I was tempted for speeding up basecoats and zenithal highlights, so my thinking was even if it was cheap and a bit naff, it would do me. Lots of mixed reviews and some pretty good demo's with reasonable results from `reviews` on Youtube. So I thought seeing as I'm not going to win any Golden Demons in this life, it'll be fine for what I need right? As it turn out, no it's definitely not.

It started out okay. I based all the Cursed City models in black and after a bit of trial and error got in down just fine (expected a bit of a learning curve so that was fine). But the more I've used it, the worse it's gotten. It now clogs if you even dare to look at it, no matter how much you thin or what you thin with. Get a mix that works fine and then try it again a day later? Nope, not having it today.

The thing spits randomly for no reason (I suspect it's not maintaining an even air pressure) and I've had to strip back two models. The final straw today was when, as a last resort, I tried to change the nozzle from 0.3 to 0.5 to see if it would stop the clogging. The thing is so cheaply made the nozzle thread sheered off inside the airbrush rendering it utterly unusable.

Took me over a week to try and get Cursed City primed. Back to the rattle cans this morning and they were all done in 2 hours of taking it slow. It's a shame really because the smoothness with the airbrush (when it bloody worked) was nice. But I'll take that slight rattle-can grit and the stink of propellants over the complete hassle of battling with a cheapo device.

5 hours ago, Nicky said:

like how they are also not listing the salary. and refuse to in the comments. its going to be for peanuts isnt it?

I'd imagine it'll be a fairly minimal wage, albeit with the usual 'perks' of free minis, paints and whatever business expenses you'd be able to get to do the job. 

However, I know that there'd be huge amounts of really dull, boring crap to paint through all the time and it'll be a rare occasion when you're allowed to do anything other than historicals...and whilst there are notable exceptions, the vast majority of the figures in this area are fucking abysmal. 

It would quite literally suck the life out of most normal folks I'd imagine.

@feltmonkey

Have you seen the standards in the magazine? They're fine, but you're not talking anywhere near the quality of the stuff you see in an average White Dwarf. 20 small plastic dudes all in similar colours wouldn't be particularly difficult to achieve in that time frame...aside from driving you mad.

I think the figures in Wargames Illustrated tend to be owned by the people writing the article or are lent for use in the photos. I have definitely seen figures on forums and the in WI. So they aren’t a single collection but owned by different people with different standards, some fairly basic. 

1 hour ago, JoeK said:

It would quite literally suck the life out of most normal folks I'd imagine.

Well that's the thing. I paint the way that I do because it's engaging and fun which means I paint full time and as a hobby and not lose interest. There's no way I'd bother with production line painting even if I could earn more money. Also, from my perspective, there's a certain amount of time I have to spend on a model regardless of the quality of the painting. Assembly, basing, priming, varnishing, photographing and packaging all take time so the fewer models I have to paint the better.

44 minutes ago, Cocky said:

Well that's the thing. I paint the way that I do because it's engaging and fun which means I paint full time and as a hobby and not lose interest. There's no way I'd bother with production line painting even if I could earn more money. Also, from my perspective, there's a certain amount of time I have to spend on a model regardless of the quality of the painting. Assembly, basing, priming, varnishing, photographing and packaging all take time so the fewer models I have to paint the better.

Yeah, I'm happy to do a maximum of a squad of ten 'things' I guess, but always refuse to do anything more than that - unless they are in no particular rush for them. If I don't mix things up everything gets terribly stale and the quality invariably can suffer. Or at least what I pass for 'quality' anyway ;) . Like-wise, I'll not paint anything just for the sake of getting the dosh in - I point blank won't do NMM as it's not a style that interests me, nor have I the patience to do it properly. I make it fairly clear that I have my own style I paint, and if that's what you like, fantastic. Otherwise, pop over to someone else who'll do the job perfectly for you. 

Like yourself ;)

On 27/04/2021 at 17:34, feltmonkey said:

It is not remotely possible to paint 20 high quality miniatures in 35 hours.  About an hour and a half per model, including assembly?  :lol:

Two models a day? I remember reading an interview with Mike McVey saying he did that when he started at GW.

Based on a 7.5 hour day, that's one model per 3.75 hours. Doable. Worth it in the days on patreon and you tube painting channels? Probably not.

It's 15-20 models per week, so if you go with 20, that's four every working day. The advert says 35 hours per week, so that's all they're going to pay you for no matter how long it takes.

The advert also states "high quality" so I assume that they are looking to improve the quality of what they put in the magazine. They're surely not considering the stuff they usually feature, blocked-in basecoats and a wash, high quality, are they? 

Been doing some work on the turquoise bits.

CDBAAF26-B117-4F91-A407-930A61797F0F.thumb.jpeg.5a50cd881df1a33067ccb5a6e75f9670.jpeg

I’ve got my hands on redgrass games’s new palette paper - they sent some to my painting teacher, he sent a sheet to me.  And holy shit it’s a massive jump in quality.  I was very sceptical about it, and honestly not that interested cause I still have a bunch of the original stuff to use.  They’ve changed it so there’s now a shiny side and that’s what you put your paints on, I’ve no idea what they’ve treated it with but it’s like having the paints of a tile or something - there’s no absorption into the paper, the paint just glides on top.  I’ve not tried rinsing it and reusing it yet, but the way the paint acts on it is enough for me to throw some money at the kickstarter.

If there’s no preview it’s just a quick video of me moving some paint on it

4 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

Goddamn that looks good, you've improved so much. The intricate detail on the materials and in the flesh around his arm is amazing.  How big are these models?

Thanks, he’s just over 9cm tall.