The Miniatures and Scale model appreciation thread

JoeK

23 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

Before we start to feel sorry for the guy, his twitter feed is full of anti-vax nonsense and climate change denial, so he's a knobhead in other fields as well.  An omni-knobhead.

lol, when this first popped up on my tweitter feed my first thought was 'antivaxxer' and I have never been so unsurprised when I checked him out.

Guy's a prick, not worth any more attention.

Yes, I was astonished when I realised it was a Juan Hidalgo video (after Juan said “it’s mine” in the comments), so I watched the original video and it really is a masterclass in efficiency and colour choice. He even says “I’m going to go for some colour modulation here” when he shades the leg (with brown, not orange), so he fully understands what he’s doing. And at no point does he simply add white to make pink or whatever (I think he uses Cadian Fleshtone). The only white he uses is for hot spots, which YouTube Douche Bag says is an acceptable use anyway! 

Fab thread and examples :)

Not exactly the same but I've just started painting the 3d models I make and print with the hope that I can start finishing off some of the more detailed models I've got in my mind (although they'll be a nightmare to paint as the objects involved will be much smaller sub objects in a larger scene). 

Didn't manage a decent moss and used way too many coats as I played with different strengths of watering down the paint (which was a cheap set from the works :)) but for a first attempt am happy :)

Anyone got any Twitch or YouTube streams to suggest for further research and ideas? 

IMG_20210727_171037-01.jpeg

12 hours ago, Mikes said:

lol, when this first popped up on my tweitter feed my first thought was 'antivaxxer' and I have never been so unsurprised when I checked him out.

Guy's a prick, not worth any more attention.

After reading the post but before reading the replies I was going to say "I bet he's the kind of cunt that rails against "woke culture" and thinks that new versions of things he loves are terrible." I wasn't far off.

1 hour ago, c-cat114 said:

Fab thread and examples :)

Not exactly the same but I've just started painting the 3d models I make and print with the hope that I can start finishing off some of the more detailed models I've got in my mind (although they'll be a nightmare to paint as the objects involved will be much smaller sub objects in a larger scene). 

Didn't manage a decent moss and used way too many coats as I played with different strengths of watering down the paint (which was a cheap set from the works :)) but for a first attempt am happy :)

Anyone got any Twitch or YouTube streams to suggest for further research and ideas? 

IMG_20210727_171037-01.jpeg

That's cute! I stream 4 nights a week over on twitch. 9pm Thurs, 10pm Fri, 8pm sat, 11pm sun. Focus on gritty decayed weathered, grim 40k and scale model stuff with the odd horror monster thrown in. Always open to answering questions, this week I'm working on a 7 inch action figure with acrylics and oils. Twitch.tv/soulwaystudios

Been feeling a bit like I haven’t really improved my painting over the last couple of months, and also like most people that I have a never-ending pile of minis that I’ll never finish. This is especially silly for me as I don’t even play the games! I painted this Ork from an Ork Boyz box set I got for Xmas, and it’s no better than stuff I painted 9 months ago. Worse probably.

C1EB841C-F11E-4489-971E-4E66798282B0.thumb.jpeg.cf435e6ca736f7e9086083d2bc8129fa.jpeg

I mean, it’s ok. But I rushed it out and for what? 

So I decided to slow down and actually practice a bit. Spent two nights on this Ork head, really trying to carefully layer and glaze in the highlights for a smooth finish, but also trying not to overpaint it (which I think I do a lot). I also used a different set of greens (Death World, Biel Tan, Elysian, Ogryn, Ushabti) to the previous guy (can’t even remember now):

45742DCA-76CA-40A3-B782-3F43D0A46A5F.thumb.jpeg.0ec9902713d7551e792d9bb755571bb4.jpeg

I think it’s a bit cleaner and smoother? I enjoyed going more slowly anyway and I think I’m going to try and do that from now on.

To my eyes it looks a lot better.  Nice smooth blends, much (for want of a better word) neater.  You don't have to go crazy with every model trying to get it perfect, but it's definitely worth doing every so often to push yourself.  The more you paint the more you'll learn basic things like brush control, how to get the paint flowing correctly, but unless you actively attempt to learn how to blend smoothly and paint the tiny details accurately you won't learn to do so automatically.

Blending isn't necessarily essential, though.  @Cocky is more knowledgable about this than I am, but as long as the highlights and shades are well-placed and the right values, the brain of the person viewing the model will fill in the gaps.  It's still handy to know how to do it though.

Thank you @feltmonkey glad the difference is discernible. I think I get stuck in a sort of viscious circle of highlighting then shading then highlighting again, rather than getting the layering right first time. On this one I followed a fairly strict order of paint application and tried really hard to do the fewest brushstrokes possible. It’s sort of more time consuming, but also I’m not having to constantly re-paint it so I guess it’s more efficient :)

In my opinion the best way to paint is the one you enjoy the most, there's no right or wrong way to paint. However, I don't think blending is as important as it once was and shouldn't be the focus of the painting process. Variation and density of information is a better way to make your models stand out. Freehands, textures, color changes can make a model look a lot more interesting than a smooth gradient. 

Also, the modern techniques of blending (velatura or airbrushing) have made blending a relatively easy thing to achieve and it isn't as impressive a skill anymore. And as @feltmonkeysays there is a better understanding of the role of visual perception in miniature painting. The percieved difference between two colors decreases as the global contrast increases, painting with high contrast can force the layers to appear closer in color.

Here are some models I've painted recently as practice. The two troops on the left took about three hours, the other two 4-5. The different layers are quite obvious in places but I really don't care becauase the models are painted, have enough detail and contrast to look good, and were fun and easy to paint

_DSC01591.JPG

Having a break from titans and paint the Godsworn Hunt box I got as part of GW’s random box of crap when looking for something to paint last year.

don’t really have much of a plan for them apart from don’t care so much, just do something.  So I decided to try and make this dude’s axe look like stone in a bit of an nmm way.

55C00886-9840-4D7D-99C2-8D7341B55E0D.thumb.jpeg.6b31f3e5b905a8575032dd883f637258.jpeg

(and vibrant dyed hair or plumes as you can see in the background).

Had a painting lesson for the first time in months, more work on this busts.  Eyes, hair, a bit of work on the skin - some stippling to blend a bit, the idea is to really push the contract and then blend it via airbrush.

C5EEC68C-0A85-4CAF-9E6E-6F218B55D85C.thumb.jpeg.678618e1a8804c595915875456e797b5.jpeg

Work has commenced on the Crimson Court figures...very early days on this one, but despite appearances they are pretty straightforward to paint.

crimsoncourtwip1.jpg.59cd4030cf6e6e46472705609a07ed08.jpg

Having said that - whilst the 'click-fit' approach they've done on these figures is great to get them together, they are an absolute bastard to paint in sub-assemblies and then try and put together...by christ I swore a lot. Won't be doing that again in a hurry.

I keep rushing to get these twilight minis done for the end of lockdown so I can have a game, But lockdown keeps getting extended.  I can only presume the two are linked.  Still, nearly done.

20210816_084845.jpg?width=816&height=612

Also, my photography skills continue to suck balls.

• 2 weeks later...