The Miniatures and Scale model appreciation thread

JoeK

CC60248E-3544-4DD2-ACB4-E8577F777398.thumb.jpeg.b186d224789f1c9f7c9a87dfef305df6.jpeg

I’ve only ever painted three minis before, but I decided to crack on painting the figures from Mice and Mystics. These are in progress and nowhere near complete, except for the spider which I think is done, but I’m happy with how they’re looking so far. 

B03681E1-768B-4DE6-9F6E-E3019B07A006.thumb.jpeg.e1a078c02834f9b2d20eaefdd14fe72f.jpeg

AF028123-C7D6-4139-888F-F6B5AC0753A0.thumb.jpeg.e18b2c812f6ffa1db2e598b023d45737.jpeg

What do people use to prime minis? I bought some new paints today and the guy in the shop told me to prime with abaddon black and something white citadel paints, but they’re only listed as base paints. Im not sure about spray painting, so what does everyone prefer? 

He probably meant chaos black primer. I use an Airbrush to prime, so the only spray can i'd recommend would be Halfords Grey Primer becuase it is great. especially on weird materials like resins, metals etc

13 minutes ago, Nicky said:

He probably meant chaos black primer. I use an Airbrush to prime, so the only spray can i'd recommend would be Halfords Grey Primer becuase it is great. especially on weird materials like resins, metals etc

No, he picked up a pot of abaddon black and said “use this” and I said “that says base” and he said “it’s for priming too”. 

30 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

What do people use to prime minis? I bought some new paints today and the guy in the shop told me to prime with abaddon black and something white citadel paints, but they’re only listed as base paints. Im not sure about spray painting, so what does everyone prefer? 

RABBIT HOLE! RABBIT HOLE! RUN! RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!

It depends on what you want from the base colour. Someone will go into better detail than I could, but I tend to use white or grey. I used to use Halfords grey but I bought some white something or other and not used it yet because obviously. I find black too hard to paint over.

Not my pic, but this look is really striking and I'm thinking I'd like to replicate it.

image.thumb.png.f324027cbd93c9559524f1084f7bd36d.png

Seems simply on the face of it, but I'm wondering about the depth of shading there.

I'm thinking black base coat, off white dry brush and then...? Something like nuln oil to blend it all together, followed by a highlight of the off white?

Anyone think of an easier / alternative way?

13 hours ago, Spatial said:

Not my pic, but this look is really striking and I'm thinking I'd like to replicate it.

Seems simply on the face of it, but I'm wondering about the depth of shading there.

I'm thinking black base coat, off white dry brush and then...? Something like nuln oil to blend it all together, followed by a highlight of the off white?

I’d be going dark grey then nuln, then light grey then white. 

On 09/09/2021 at 14:34, Doctor Shark said:

On 09/09/2021 at 15:31, Doctor Shark said:

No, he picked up a pot of abaddon black and said “use this” and I said “that says base” and he said “it’s for priming too”. 

What?  Ignore that man.  I would recommend using either an airbrush or a spray can for priming.  Chaos Black is very good. It's virtually indestructible.  As @moosegrinder said though, there are different schools of thought about priming. You can prime everything black if you like, but certain colours will be very difficult to paint over it, such as white, yellow, or orange.  You can prime white, with a white spray can, but white spray cans are prone to produce a gritty finish.  I don't prime grey personally, but other people in this thread and elsewhere swear by it as a good compromise. I use a zenithal prime, spraying minis black, then spraying from above with white to sketch in the light and shadows before I start.

On 09/09/2021 at 18:56, Spatial said:

I'd be very surprised if any drybrushing or washing was used on that mini.  It looks like the highlights and shadows were painted in "manually" if you get what I mean.

9 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

I was going to post what I've been working on but...nah. Don't think I'll bother now :lol:

Stop that! I really like your Mice and Mystics paint jobs. More plz!

My guy up there is mostly dry-brushed anyway. It gives the illusion that I’ve highlighted every last fold of skin, but trust me, I didn’t! :lol:

@Doctor Shark those look great and also very, very tiny. 

I feel I must point out that a lot of what you see in my example above is "cheating", or what some people might call "n00b tricks". Those skulls for example are painted pure white, then I apply one coat of Skeleton horde Contrast paint. I then put a tiny bit of water on my brush and thin out the paint on the top of the skull, so that more of the white shows through. That's it. No highlighting or anything. 

Similarly the base is just sand glued on with PVA, thin brown paint, then a dry brush of a lighter brown and then a bone colour. Boom! Instant GW style base texture.

The Wolfbat itself is a series of washes, contrast paints and dry brushing. Barely anything apart from the eyes, teeth and claws have been  painted in "traditionally". 

How did you do the tiny faces on your human figures above? They look good, but when you have faces with not much detail like that you can save yourself an awful lot of time by investing in either Reikland Fleshshade (which is a GW "wash" paint) or Gulliman Flesh (Which is a GW Contrast Paint). Paint the face white (or off white), apply one coat of your wash or contrast, hey presto instant flesh tone with free shading and highlights!

When I get a minute I'll dig out a spare head to show you what I mean (assuming you don't know all this already).

Personally I find Reikland works best over white, as it's the Reikland which provides the "pink".

Funnily enough, that Stormcast is the exact spare I just dug out. I'll show it with Gulliman Flesh as you have already used Reikland.

EFCF844F-4859-402E-8413-0BC6A655C231.thumb.jpeg.42777444e3091ef60db107a70db81498.jpeg

Primed grey as that's all I have atm, but obviously white would be better here. 

EFAC007B-A79B-4252-936F-6AF2BAF5052C.thumb.jpeg.c16360693ea38e80d5b3931ab8c46164.jpeg

Three thin coats of Corax White:

31BBD54F-8B41-403F-A383-C616B2ED5E42.thumb.jpeg.9763697abbbe8873c50b7e482bf304cf.jpeg

One coat of Gulliman Flesh, pooling soaked up with a clean brush in any areas it collects too much. Instant face!

35F26FCD-C4A7-401D-91FA-DCC2BF0179D8.thumb.jpeg.32488deffdcf33ec41efa43249aad53f.jpeg

In fact one could probably pick out her eyeball in this example, but that's where the teeth gnashing and eye-strain starts, you don't have to, and in the case of your tiny figures where they don't have visible details like that, this is the way to go (which you kinda already have). What I would just say is that the "Two to three thin coats" mantra is oh so important on this, but also to not paint the same areas while wet. It took me a long while to realise this, and I'd run my brush over the same wet areas over and over again, trying to paint them smooth, not realising I was making the paint chalky as it was drying while I was brushing over it. Do a stroke, move on, don't repaint until dry - that's the secret to smoothness.

I picked up a Monument Hobby’s Artillery brush to try a decent quality synthetic, they do better ones but they only had these in stock.  So far I’m really impressed with it, much better than the crappy synthetics I picked up for oils & enamels.  I don’t think I’ll be replacing all my sables yet but I’ll definitely pick up some more.