IGNORED

The Miniatures and Scale model appreciation thread

JoeK

55 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

Definitely get Series 7.  You can go for the miniature or the standard ones - both have their disciples. Like @Nicky I prefer the miniature ones.  I like to use a size 0 for a lot of stuff.  0, 1, or 2 would be suitable probably.  A 2 is slightly harder to do the details with but perfectly possible if the brush has a good point.  Learning to use a big brush for everything can help you speed up your painting.  It might be worth getting a really tiny brush as well - a 000 or something - for the tiny details.  

It depends on how much you want to spend.  Getting a 000, a 0, a 1, and a 2 would seem like a nice way to try a few out and have a few options, but that's going to set you back £40-£50!  

bro im loaded

thanks for the recs i'll get a 000 0 1 & 2

if you havent bought already. i'd skip getting a 0 or a 2 in Miniature. they're all so close, you can do pretty much everything with a 000 and a 1. for the miniatures ive considered a 3 or a 4! a 2 Miniature is very much like a 1 Standard shape and i feel a 00 and a 2 will probably not get too much use.

44 minutes ago, Nicky said:

if you havent bought already. i'd skip getting a 0 or a 2 in Miniature. they're all so close, you can do pretty much everything with a 000 and a 1. for the miniatures ive considered a 3 or a 4! a 2 Miniature is very much like a 1 Standard shape and i feel a 00 and a 2 will probably not get too much use.

yeah after looking at them I went for a 000, a 1 and a 2. 

20 hours ago, Floshenbarnical said:

yeah after looking at them I went for a 000, a 1 and a 2. 

THEY ARE BEING DELIVERED TOMORROW THIS IS AWESOME

i can’t wait to use brushes that I didn’t get from Hobby Lobby. My current set of 10 brushes cost $10 and they are all terrible. I also got a head magnifier thing because I guess I have old eyes now, a quick disconnect for my airbrush, and some flow improver. 

What mm needle is best for mini work? I’m mostly just basing and applying washes, I have a suspicion my needle is too slender and is more detail-oriented. 

6 hours ago, Floshenbarnical said:

THEY ARE BEING DELIVERED TOMORROW THIS IS AWESOME

i can’t wait to use brushes that I didn’t get from Hobby Lobby. My current set of 10 brushes cost $10 and they are all terrible. I also got a head magnifier thing because I guess I have old eyes now, a quick disconnect for my airbrush, and some flow improver. 

What mm needle is best for mini work? I’m mostly just basing and applying washes, I have a suspicion my needle is too slender and is more detail-oriented. 

0.3 should be fine, or 0.5 for basing and priming donkey work.  0.2 is good for detail work.  By the way, if you are using washes through an airbrush they behave differently to when they are applied with a brush.  They tint the whole area rather than flowing into the recesses.  It's a perfectly legitimate way of using them, but if you're trying to get the classic wash effect, it's generally better to apply them with a brush.  

Enjoy the W&N goodness!

25 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

0.3 should be fine, or 0.5 for basing and priming donkey work.  0.2 is good for detail work.  By the way, if you are using washes through an airbrush they behave differently to when they are applied with a brush.  They tint the whole area rather than flowing into the recesses.  It's a perfectly legitimate way of using them, but if you're trying to get the classic wash effect, it's generally better to apply them with a brush.  

Enjoy the W&N goodness!

thanks, soft cloth monkey. I use them both ways. Inks I use to apply a tint, enamel washes I spray all over and then pull off with mineral spirits. I use an airbrush for both. 

I use extremely diluted inks for washing faces with a brush 

just tested positive for COVID so I suspect I will have plenty of painting time for the next couple weeks. 

OT venting time! (Don't worry, I'll keep it short).

Melbourne has been in the longest lockdown in the world, and since February 2020 I have been to exactly one gaming night at my local gaming club (around August last year). It's just opened up again after the most recent and probably last lockdown ended last week and will up and running on Wednesday.

And I won't be able to go. Not even just this week. Barely at all.

Because. my fellow gamers, my in laws have come out as anti vaxxers. Meaning the stuff they used to help us out with such as dropping the kids off at scouts, basketball or tutoring - all of which happen on a Wednesday - they can no longer do. They can't even drop the kids off at school because Victoria requires a double vaccination certificate just to do that.

So I'm basically cock blocked from gaming because my in laws think Bill Gates is trying to inject them with microchips.

14 hours ago, Mikes said:

OT venting time! (Don't worry, I'll keep it short).

Melbourne has been in the longest lockdown in the world, and since February 2020 I have been to exactly one gaming night at my local gaming club (around August last year). It's just opened up again after the most recent and probably last lockdown ended last week and will up and running on Wednesday.

And I won't be able to go. Not even just this week. Barely at all.

Because. my fellow gamers, my in laws have come out as anti vaxxers. Meaning the stuff they used to help us out with such as dropping the kids off at scouts, basketball or tutoring - all of which happen on a Wednesday - they can no longer do. They can't even drop the kids off at school because Victoria requires a double vaccination certificate just to do that.

So I'm basically cock blocked from gaming because my in laws think Bill Gates is trying to inject them with microchips.

Excommunicate them. Tell them to get to fuck and they can never see the kids again.

6 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Excommunicate them. Tell them to get to fuck and they can never see the kids again.

Already in effect, because we literally have no time to see them because of all the driving we're doing now.

11 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

It hardly needs saying but just for the record your work is utterly phenomenal.

It's okay if you say it 😆 When I was editing the photos it was difficult to not focus on the mistakes and areas that could have been done better. A few did get touched up mostly to correct wonky eyes but otherwise I managed to resist the urge to spend hours on improvements. Allowing myself to make mistakes was the point of painting things for myself in the first place. With commissions I have to play things safe and at least attempt a consistent finish. With these models I tested out ideas and not all worked out but the result is I have a better idea of what works and what doesn't along with a collection of painted models.

19 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

They're just amazing, @Cocky

Your level is what the rest of us in the thread, and 99.9% of the hobby, aspires to.  

Thanks @feltmonkeyit's only taken 8 years and over a 1,000 models to get there 😅 

In all seriousness taking a long view of things has helped. I did try to force the issue on prices, with a more efficient painting and even with a more business minded outlook and all this caused was a lot more stress. Even now I don't earn anywhere as much as I'd like, but I have had continuous work for two years now allowing me to focus on my developing my skills and I'm starting to see the benefits in terms of the quality. It's helps that I can filter out a lot of the noise withing the wider community regarding the various products and techniques that businesses and influencers are constantly pushing. Not that any of these things are bad, per se, but for me consistency is the key. I know I can produce a good looking model with the method and technical ability I have. The next step is to play around with the colors to see what produces the better results. 

9 hours ago, Cocky said:

Thanks @feltmonkeyit's only taken 8 years and over a 1,000 models to get there 😅 

In all seriousness taking a long view of things has helped. I did try to force the issue on prices, with a more efficient painting and even with a more business minded outlook and all this caused was a lot more stress. Even now I don't earn anywhere as much as I'd like, but I have had continuous work for two years now allowing me to focus on my developing my skills and I'm starting to see the benefits in terms of the quality. It's helps that I can filter out a lot of the noise withing the wider community regarding the various products and techniques that businesses and influencers are constantly pushing. Not that any of these things are bad, per se, but for me consistency is the key. I know I can produce a good looking model with the method and technical ability I have. The next step is to play around with the colors to see what produces the better results. 

Don't undersell yourself on your own artistic input. You have established a clear and distinctive style for yourself that is a merit in itself.

Your miniatures look like your miniatures, not like someone else's. And you style is amazing in its own right.

11 hours ago, Cocky said:

That. It's the most important piece. I've never subscribed to how anyone else painted, and whilst I love a lot of other painters out there, I've never bothered to paint to anyone else's standards. I've always had an idea of what my painting level was, and what my strengths (and limitations!) are, and thankfully there are people out there who like what I do enough to pay me for it. Honestly, if it wasn't for people wanting me to paint for them, it's doubtful I'd ever do much for myself, as I hate starting a figure, and never have any use for the end result. It's the process that I thoroughly enjoy - the certain moments where a figure goes from being a messy, chaotic mix of paint to something that actually looks half-way decent. It's a nice way to spend time, and feel I've accomplished something and actually made something that someone else likes enough to keep me in sausage rolls and biscuits.

Thanks! Photos are a bit dark but I’m quite happy with it. I think I prefer big miniatures, my cackhandedness isn’t so bad on these chonkers. Gotrek seems tiny in comparison, feel like I’m etching a landscape onto a grain of rice. 

33 minutes ago, Nicky said:

i generally dont. Only if the client really wants it done. 

That's interesting. I don't play, so in theory unless I were to sell a model I probably don't need to as I wouldn't be handling them much.

I do have some Ardcoat/Stormshield but they seem so thick and gloopy. I've only used the gloss one for effect a couple of times.