The Miniatures and Scale model appreciation thread

JoeK

1 hour ago, Davros sock drawer said:

That's interesting. I don't play, so in theory unless I were to sell a model I probably don't need to as I wouldn't be handling them much.

I do have some Ardcoat/Stormshield but they seem so thick and gloopy. I've only used the gloss one for effect a couple of times.

Main reason being, i don't paint with just colour. I'm often mixing surface/material properties and an all-over matt coat would just render all that work pointless.

10 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

I was just thinking about the fact that I haven't varnished any of my finished minis. What do you guys use if you varnish yours?

Vallejo rattlecans.  One layer of gloss, dry, then a layer of matte, dry, then another layer of matte.

Reason is matte on it's own is too matt and is noticeable. A layer or two fo matte over glass makes it look natural and is hard to see the varnish with them cancelling each other out. . Also three layers of protection. 

I used to use the AB but I can't be arsed with the cleaning anymore.

OK so this is a work in progress. I’ve been tinkering around the edges as I’ve been avoiding finishing the blue cape because… it’s got these celtic-style scrolls on the front and back and I have no idea what colour (if any) to paint them. 

I considered some kind of gold embroidery type effect, but then realised I have no idea how to do that. Any suggestions for potential colour schemes would be gratefully received. 

80DB8414-C2D5-401D-B80E-789E3BED7994.jpeg

324EB0BC-6CD4-446C-ACE6-4257F7E55F0F.jpeg

On 25/11/2021 at 23:09, Mikes said:

Really interesting interview with Warren from BoW/OTT.

And now I really want to know what companies GW demanded BoW to drop so I can go throw some money at them.

That's a fantastic interview that's about so much more than the god awful thumbnail suggests.

17 hours ago, And said:

Goes to post. Nope. Not following that. 

I'll take the hit. What I lack in quality, I can at least try to make up for in quantity.

Quantity, and MOVIE MAGIC. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uDETw9vdiUPTt4QA7

Had all week off work and just decided to plow through it all - Resident Evil 2 the boardgame, if it wasn't obvious. Never want to paint another tooth or giant eyeball again.

4 hours ago, lewismistreated said:

I'll take the hit. What I lack in quality, I can at least try to make up for in quantity.

Quantity, and MOVIE MAGIC. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uDETw9vdiUPTt4QA7

Had all week off work and just decided to plow through it all - Resident Evil 2 the boardgame, if it wasn't obvious. Never want to paint another tooth or giant eyeball again.

Those are awesome! And numerous!

I'd really like to get some non-GW projects on the go, especially the Bloodborne stuff.

Is it bad that i'm considering buying multiple XL Citadel models as Xmas presents to myself? :blush:

Nothing i could even attempt to paint, or would ever need for an army, but simply because they're gorgeous and i want to own them? 

Exhibit A:

image.thumb.png.b42bdfbf3ad4e3fa87c5e76c89975b85.png 

On 29/11/2021 at 22:54, Pelekophoros said:

That's a fantastic interview that's about so much more than the god awful thumbnail suggests.

Yeah, I know what you mean. There's a particular painting youtube channel I won't watch exactly because they pull shit like that all the time.

But I did really like this interview. I love how they're willing to try new things with the caveat being that it has to support the industry. They have some great stuff lined up on their web[ page to hep support indies and new people to the industry,

16 hours ago, Mikes said:

Yeah, I know what you mean. There's a particular painting youtube channel I won't watch exactly because they pull shit like that all the time.

But I did really like this interview. I love how they're willing to try new things with the caveat being that it has to support the industry. They have some great stuff lined up on their web[ page to hep support indies and new people to the industry,

Also, the bit in that interview about exactly this sort of thing. YouTube just saying "do what the algorithm demands" and consequently, everything being the same shit.

Hey guys, quick question: does anyone know of some cheap, dead tree models that could fit onto a 40mm base?

I'm putting together a Circle Orboros force for Hordes and it includes a Gallows Grove (below) and while I live the model, it's stupid expensive for what it is.  Any ideas?

pip-72063-0.jpg

On 28/11/2021 at 21:23, Cocky said:

Here are some models I painted for myself. I like to think I've made some improvement this year and hopefully there is more to come. I had some time off over thanksgiving and had something of a breakthrough thinking about value perception whilst watching the macy's day parade. It should make my edge highlights more effective and my layering too I suppose without adding more time cost 🙂

image.thumb.png.3029bc2714f6acb1cb7f115d0c30f3ff.png

These are amazingly good!

I'm busy doing my final commission of the year with High Marshall Helbrecht. It's a really fantastic kit. The parts go together pretty damn well, but christ there's a lot of it. Basework and servitors on the go at the moment, as they really need to be done before I can crack on with the main chap. Really enjoyable so far though...

helbrechtwip1.thumb.jpg.14d73020e0d74b1b08c5e259f8ce62dc.jpg

helbrechtwip2.thumb.jpg.95a24a9c11ca3983e4e6404a250afcaa.jpg

On 05/12/2021 at 23:58, Mikes said:

Hey guys, quick question: does anyone know of some cheap, dead tree models that could fit onto a 40mm base?

I'm putting together a Circle Orboros force for Hordes and it includes a Gallows Grove (below) and while I live the model, it's stupid expensive for what it is.  Any ideas?

pip-72063-0.jpg

something from a pet store?  For a fish tank or cage or something 🤷‍♂️

I'll probbaly have to go that way, I can't find anything suitable. I was hoping to avoid it as modelling somethingt from scratch takes time I don't have. Still, I picked up some likely falleen branches on the dog walk this morning. I'll make a bunch and I might be able to use them as objectives or something.