IGNORED

The Miniatures and Scale model appreciation thread

JoeK

19 hours ago, And said:

then I’ve got one model with big angel

wings to do, no idea on that one as it’ll be on a big grey base like above. 

Which model is that And? I just did a Knight Venator in a sort of ancient rusted bronze theme, as I was also a bit bored with the usual gold/silver Stormcast. I imagined this guy as an enemy I’d awakened in Darkroot Garden in Dark Souls:

7F21D3A7-3495-4922-94DD-B6400845468E.thumb.jpeg.5df1d12051a34b03fa70bfcd2cb59c1f.jpeg

19 hours ago, Cocky said:

Really like the colors on that one @And

Here are a couple of quick models I painted over the weekend, trying to work through the bigchildcreative illutrative style. Keeping things simple at first to concentrate on light placement.

DSC_02533.thumb.JPG.b848dfa4d313f6516fe4d1396be3808b.JPG

With a bit more practice I'll add more of the fancy stuff, but I also like this rough and ready look. This face took five layers of paint in fifteen minutes:

DSC_0253s.JPG.8364d3b4a3e824afbb1052484bb8fcc9.JPG

Saw this on your Instagram. So good, and the fact that it took you 15 minutes just shows that you understand exactly where to place light and shade to get a convincing face that looks far from rough. 

1 hour ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Which model is that And? I just did a Knight Venator in a sort of ancient rusted bronze theme, as I was also a bit bored with the usual gold/silver Stormcast. I imagined this guy as an enemy I’d awakened in Darkroot Garden in Dark Souls:

7F21D3A7-3495-4922-94DD-B6400845468E.thumb.jpeg.5df1d12051a34b03fa70bfcd2cb59c1f.jpeg

I’ve 3 guys with wings like that but dual wielding hammers. And the yndrastra(?) model that you and Joe painted recently. So they’ll all stick to the same turquoise armour, pink cloth as the rest of the army, just a bit stumped on wing colours

1 hour ago, And said:

I’ve 3 guys with wings like that but dual wielding hammers. And the yndrastra(?) model that you and Joe painted recently. So they’ll all stick to the same turquoise armour, pink cloth as the rest of the army, just a bit stumped on wing colours

Ah, right. Yeah, I've got the hammer guys too. 

Would the same yellow as your last guy's helmet quiff work?

2 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Saw this on your Instagram. So good, and the fact that it took you 15 minutes just shows that you understand exactly where to place light and shade to get a convincing face that looks far from rough. 

It's all down to painting with high contrast. It's like drawing a face by starting with an outline and blocking in the main areas compared to gradually building light and shadow. 

Here are some other models I've painted this month. 

DSC_0257.thumb.JPG.c57c58f884e3ac2281adf473142c29b6.JPG

Don't know why I thought this color scheme was a good idea, but I'm almost finished with this army, just in time for the new releases 😅

More models for me to not have time to paint!

The new stuff corvus belli announced for infinity will be enough to keep me busy for a long time. I still have a bunch of the old morats to paint and now they're releasing a new, very cool looking range. 

On 23/03/2022 at 12:24, Cocky said:

Really like the colors on that one @And

Here are a couple of quick models I painted over the weekend, trying to work through the bigchildcreative illutrative style. Keeping things simple at first to concentrate on light placement.

DSC_02533.thumb.JPG.b848dfa4d313f6516fe4d1396be3808b.JPG

With a bit more practice I'll add more of the fancy stuff, but I also like this rough and ready look. This face took five layers of paint in fifteen minutes:

DSC_0253s.JPG.8364d3b4a3e824afbb1052484bb8fcc9.JPG

I was thinking to myself "that bust is a bit heavy handed for Cocky" and then I realized it wasn't a bust at all. And then I burned all my brushes and paints.

Whilst  I've been having very much a frustrating painting day today, I thought I'd cheer myself up by watching this chap create the Moving Castle from the similarly named film...

Very, very inspiring and I feel much happier :) 

Well, this one's not the most exciting thing I've ever painted, namely because I only had the base to paint. However, it's quite a detailed base for the Leman Russ primarch, so I guess there's that.

God knows how it'll look with the main figure though, but there we go.

lemanrussbaseFINAL1.jpg.02b8ea14445a8bbe1e8631dbe8b6d32a.jpg

lemanrussbaseFINAL2.jpg.754830ad7e1ff2253306a61c261171b0.jpg

lemanrussbaseFINAL3.jpg.1f69673bbe5e8b3b614b762e899af7f3.jpg

Had my first game fo MESTB last night against an actual grown up. He showed me the ropes and I got slammed, but have a lot better idea of the game's flow and nuances.  

Sorry for the half-painted elven force. I am ashamed.

lWqf3Gw.jpg

QuHWmfC.jpg

HN2mdPk.jpg

I’m not getting on with liquid green stuff at all. I’ve followed the GW tutorial and it just spreads around the cracks and doesn’t really fill, even after many coats. Should I rethink technique (clearly doing something wrong) or is the army painter green stuff better with some moulding tools?

Ive never liked liquid green stuff. I personally use Tamiya standard putty. you'll need laquer thinner to clean / thin it down but it is pretty much the best sandable filler there is.

It's been years since I've actually bought any, but can you still get 'Squadron Green' putty? I loved that stuff - although if anyone hasn't used it before, whatever you do wear gloves and put on a mask because it is incredibly toxic :P

However, it was an absolutely brilliant filler!

Thank you! I need to darken the very deepest recesses, but the main thing is that I was just pleased at how the colour choices worked (the whiteish green highlight especially). The obvious thing would be to go brighter purple up to pink I guess? For some reason I jus had a hunch that this wasn't the way to go.

On 10/04/2022 at 03:10, MattKB said:

I’m not getting on with liquid green stuff at all. I’ve followed the GW tutorial and it just spreads around the cracks and doesn’t really fill, even after many coats. Should I rethink technique (clearly doing something wrong) or is the army painter green stuff better with some moulding tools?

The way I use it nowadays is to doughty dump.some over the cracks then force it in with a finger, then wash the excess off with a wet brush. Not pretty, but it works.

That’s ducking superb @Davros sock drawer.

Similarly I’ve not been painting much recently, started on this guy.  Now on my third attempt at the skin, think I’m going in the right direction this time - looking for something that’s recognisably Japanese but not a racist caricature.  Still very much WIP & working on the structure and zones of the face.

D4E34557-2572-4E01-9778-DE46CCD1D559.thumb.jpeg.d335413ddc330b9e92e20514276b41b3.jpeg

B49A79EB-EAF3-44BA-A67A-6854DC0DBEBD.thumb.jpeg.e32ae01a26dd4178aaca0c5de946b0a2.jpeg