IGNORED

The Miniatures and Scale model appreciation thread

JoeK

Been working on the Gnashtoof from Dominion some more. I’m generally pleased with it, but I still don’t know if there’s a colour for the little tufts of hair that would work better than the kind of purple ish white I’ve sort of defaulted to. 

34FA45E5-6A4A-4CD4-8966-ADBDE0D529DC.thumb.jpeg.e7fc83c5211df69b5d1a1c84b6debd71.jpeg

7D390740-DBE3-4248-89E7-B85EB52FE327.thumb.jpeg.4965b6bd9cacd02895f841721f464a33.jpeg

There’s already quite a lot of other colours going on. Anyone got any ideas?

yeah you dont need to attract attention to that part of the model, but what i think's going on is - as you're working on it, you're realising subconciously that theres a distinct lack of value/contrast going on on the piece as a whole, and the areas of contrast you do have are in the wrong places - pretty much the entire model is midtone. check this :

unknown.png

On 21/04/2022 at 10:31, Davros sock drawer said:

Hmm, maybe not as much of a stand out as that. I think I’m trying to work out would be a good “natural” colour…for a purple lizard elephant tiger :lol:

a neutral with a touch of the purple in it?  Or the magenta-ish colour from the bottom of the neck?

Been working on this guy some more, trying to get some subtle shading in the white shirt with colour temp more than value.  And started working on the sword handle, regretting not doing the pommel part when I was doing the rest of the nmm.

B9ED5135-C583-4B3E-BF57-3E6ECB6B7C17.thumb.jpeg.af34ec5547cb0adcce81b094104ade4f.jpeg

I've not had a lot of hobby time this month with only a single model to add to my collection. I decided to keep things simple and practice my color gradients and whilst it's rough af the colors really pop.

Wolv.thumb.jpg.323af2d3e9173f161e4c276330605b6d.jpg

@Davros sock drawerI've been thinking about how best to answer your question. The difficulty is that we all have our own ways of thinking about these things and what works in one context doesn't necessarily work in others. The way that I approach color is to not paint things directly but to set up color relations. I typically have one or two main colors that serve as a reference point for all of the other colors including choices for highlights and shades. In practice this means picking a lightest color, darkest color, most intense color, most yellow or red etc, and then filling in the rest. 

In your example, I would consider how the hair color fits in with the other colors on the model. You have a green, red and turquoise which stand out, then more subdued purple, browns, and ochers. Given that you already have a lot of colors on the model i would recommend mixing something from your existing palette instead of introducing something new. Then again that's my personal taste and method, I'm not very artisitic and prefer to work with more of a structure.

Thanks @Cocky - I think that’s the correct answer, or at least where my thoughts started heading almost as soon as I asked. 

I was mistakenly thinking it should be something different or contrasting, but the natural approach (albeit to a fantastical scheme) would be to carry through an existing tone. 

Sometimes I think my style (if I have one) falls a little bit awkwardly between the two stools of bold and bright and dark and grimy, and comes out a bit compromised as a result. I’ve got this one on the go as well and I think maybe it pops a little more? Still got a lot to tidy and highlight:

6A0FA10E-50E3-43D3-8476-612ED59B9DB9.thumb.jpeg.714fec20a316610bf84bfe2a39cdc585.jpeg

Rescuing mini's from Ebay is a proper mixed bag.

image.thumb.png.527979bf90138fb03c7e32008b29b5fa.png

I bought these clan rats last month, they didn't look too bad in the listing and I didn't pay too much attention on arrival other than checking they were all there.

Taken a proper look this afternoon and they're a bit of a nightmare. The brown paint is so thick in parts that it's obscuring lots of detail (so unlike some other stuff I've grabbed cheap I can't get away with just re-priming). The blue bits which I thought were just recast patchwork is actually blue paint :lol:

So I've spent all afternoon soaking some little rat people in Isopropyl alcohol and giving them a good scrub down.

The plus side is I'm off my tits on the IPA fumes.

6 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Thanks @Cocky - I think that’s the correct answer, or at least where my thoughts started heading almost as soon as I asked. 

I was mistakenly thinking it should be something different or contrasting, but the natural approach (albeit to a fantastical scheme) would be to carry through an existing tone. 

Sometimes I think my style (if I have one) falls a little bit awkwardly between the two stools of bold and bright and dark and grimy, and comes out a bit compromised as a result. I’ve got this one on the go as well and I think maybe it pops a little more? Still got a lot to tidy and highlight:

I wouldn't worry too much about the colors or even your style looking right as by focusing on those things that you think make your model look good you can get away with the incidental details not being 100%. The way to develop a color sense is by trying different ideas and that will involve making mistakes or failures. What matters is that you accept these failures as part of the learning process. One of the difficulties with miniature painting is that we can get locked into how things should look and we never move on. I painted for 15 years without much improvement and even now I still feel like I'm unlearning all of those bad habits and ways of painting from back then.

A book I would recommend given you painting style is Making Color Sing by Jeanne Dobie. It has some really interesting ideas about using neutral colors to create contrast. It might help you balance your color choices.

Early wip of a new Twilight figure...

TarKisaelwip1.thumb.jpg.fb1cf1bcc897f19aeb1829bd27150c88.jpg

Always nice to paint these things, as whilst they look like fairly simple sculpts it always makes painting them far more tricky! Much more of a need to add slightly more nuance into the tones than you might do with a lot of the GW figures I've been painting recently. 

Always a pain in the arse to start with, but eventually there comes a point where the layers (and layers and layers...) actually start to make the thing look at least a little life-like.

So I had my first game of Maliafux in over year and just my second in two (thanks covid) last night, and I took the opportunity to try a new master and with Shenlong into Dreamer. I painted the faction over lockdown so was keen to try it out.

First impressions are Shenlong is a beast. He almost managed to kill Teddy in 2 actions, then did kill Copernicus in two, only taking 1 point of poison damage the whole game.

We only managed to get to the end of turn 3, because my first game back and my opponents first game of 3rd Ed, but I'm very much taken by Shen.

This was the biggest crew I've ever put on the table with ten models. The crew was entirely in keywork (Shen, totems, Yu, HRM, LRM, 2 x WRM, 2 Thunder Archers). I was a bit disappointed by the LRM's healing output, but I did fluff his roles, which were offset by the amazing flips for Shen and Yu's melee attacks. And the two WRM's did not last long, but that can probably be put down to my poor use.

Score at the end of turn3 was 4 points to 3 in my favour. Had we reached turn 5 I think I would have run away with it. My opponant had lost Teddy, Copurnicus, two Stitched Togethers and one of his totems, and there was nothing stopping me from continuing to score my vendetta points and one scheme definitely, and probably both. However I will say my opponent was still new to the edition and was very unfamiliar with his crew, so less patting myself on my back as would otherwise be the case.

279441852_10158123398872047_625808112102

279423879_10158123398992047_327093017057

Niche question (so probably in the right place?!) - I want to make a custom storage solution for the new HeroQuest set. Does anyone know where I can buy foam to do this? Or even the best way to do it?

12 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Niche question (so probably in the right place?!) - I want to make a custom storage solution for the new HeroQuest set. Does anyone know where I can buy foam to do this? Or even the best way to do it?

I store all my miniatures like this:

Been batch painting the Kruleboyz side of the Dominion Set all week. It’s kind of exhausting and satisfying in equal measure, but I’ve decided to only give extra highlights to the hero characters. Finished this one first in the end:

B267BAC8-6284-44B4-B6A8-71FBA7E04582.thumb.jpeg.049691dd4cfbcd6efcd9ed94467c105c.jpeg

E4FF8A06-3EA5-452C-B322-9636983585BA.thumb.jpeg.6e3e8f39d548d85e5493806910f7d279.jpeg

C232462F-8253-4DFD-9414-52558D126471.thumb.jpeg.a90d7a7875d98fe754d9aab56c227bc1.jpeg

But also this little fella:

068C0DD6-A4CE-4289-BF56-7849ECA39259.thumb.jpeg.fd22cdaf825e05166fe8487ce308049a.jpeg

I also finally finished a full set of Chainrasp, having owned them for nearly two years!

C73D32E8-F4C3-46B6-8CA0-4EF295D6379F.thumb.jpeg.09acf62fbc453642235089e9b1c9f810.jpeg

2F28BDFC-C12F-45AD-96E4-5C783D3098BA.thumb.jpeg.7b70ac249f6602ed93e6f7e5b1a92dd1.jpeg

Went on a painting course at the weekend with Alfonso "Banshee" Giraldes, nominally it was one day on smoothness and one day on fuck smoothness.  But we're the first class he's done this course with so it went all over the place (colour theory, paint & ink properties and mixing them, how he approaches things, etc, etc), honestly I'm still processing a lot of it.

We got a different bust to paint each day, although we had limited painting time because of teaching - e.g. although the first day was 10 hours we only spent an hour painting.

Wolverine was day 1, which was smoothness despite my paint job very much not showing that.  It's a fun bust to paint, I'm probably going to start it again.  All the colours were mixed from red, yellow, blue, black, & white - that's about the fourth skin tone colour I mixed as by that point in the evening the place was just too hot and my mixes kept drying.

1229492761_image(30).png.5a0a07febad731efec037b4d7920b707.png

Day two was #FuckSmoothness, Alfonso's movement (for want of a better word) for smoothness to not be the be all and end all of mini painting - there can be expression through brushstrokes.

So this is day two's bust, about 90 mins painting again with only those 5 colours.  Part of this exercise was to paint fast, and develop the entire piece - none of this completely finishing one bit before moving on but build it together to discover it as you go.  As part of the painting fast thing we were encouraged to take photos every 30 mins to see where we were.  I'm quite happy with this one considering how slow a painter I can be.

1996644058_image(31).png.6dc30e8e817e6ba9a777661a880a4a40.png

283659386_10158373574425025_5264545656083502225_n.thumb.jpg.1bc8599a5c13ac204628a08b287a3441.jpg

best thing i ever picked up from Alfonso was use a fuck off big massive pallete for skin tones. those look cracking for course-painted models.

😂 yeah, none of us had a big enough palette by his reconning.  I had an A4 one which is the minimum size you need according to him, and the way he works yup he does.

11 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

That’s interesting, is that a wet palette? What’s the reasoning for having such a large one? Mine is A5 I think! 

A painting course sounds really fun. Was it expensive? 

Yeah, that’s a wet palette.  It’s because he mixes & remixes everything and wants a large area to work in & keep paint alive in.  He also mixes different kinds of paint & inks to produce the paint behaviour he wants - heavy bodies for coverage, inks for vibrancy & liquidity, mini paints for liquidity.

Course was €265, I do these courses through Journeyman Miniatures.  They’re where I’ve done weekends with Roman Lappat, Lan, Bonhun, and now Alfonso.  There’s only a few this year, they used to get people across more regularly but covid & Brexit have caused issues there.  There’s talk of Roman coming to do a class again this year, if you can do that it’s well worth it.

https://www.journeymanminiatures.co.uk/webshop/all-products/workshops/

Lots of others do courses too.  The Cult of Paint guys do their’s (https://www.cultofpaint.com/classes), Marco of NJM has start to run some, my teacher Myles organises some (http://lillegendstudio.com/store/) - you’ll get him or Matthew Kane (was a Forge World painter) or Medders, or a mix.