The Miniatures and Scale model appreciation thread

JoeK

Insane work as ever. 

I agree about finishing a model being a kind of skill. I’m…not very good at it, if my pile of 90% finished minis is anything to go by. But I find tackling the base at a fairly early stage really helps. It gives the illusion of a finished mini, and helps me push on.

• 2 weeks later...

Almost three months since I've picked up a brush - longest period I've gone without painting for a decade I think. Been really difficult to get the motivation to paint, despite a worklist as long as my sodding arm (thankfully, I have very obliging clients...). 

But, today was the day and I'm busy painting up something very random but decent enough to iron out kinks...admittedly, some kinks will always remain, but that's just the way I paint :P

301482328_3244856799165408_1314030560526042493_n.thumb.jpg.09df6d232aad8eebaa46a67e2dcff422.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have dusted off my paint brushes and started painting toy soldiers again. I began with Thanos, and apparently Thanos Jr. in the form of Luke Cage.

289932604_917173573010512_2627633769131122520_n.thumb.jpg.452edf8caeff72a91ccd522b4a74f95f.jpg

Definitely at the "alright, tabletop" end of the scale, but I had great fun, and I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. The plan is to paint the Infinity Stones next week when I have the Infinity Stone coloured paints.

They look great, particularly Thanos. The highlighting on his blue undersuit is very nice.  If you want to make the yellow armour pop a bit more, you could add a bright edge highlight to a few key areas like round his neck, and round the outer edge of that whole panel.

I can give you a nice method for the gems if you like, but it requires a tiny brush and a fairly steady hand.  :)

3 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

I can give you a nice method for the gems if you like, but it requires a tiny brush and a fairly steady hand.  :)

I think I'll probably fail on the steady hand bit - but thank you anyway. I think for the moment I'm just content to experiment and rediscover my skills - I actually used to be pretty good back in the WarMachine days, but it's all rusty as hell now. Really enjoying MCP, though!

I'm dismayed to discover that heroforge's steel printing option was a victim of Covid disruption, and I can't quite bring myself to spring for the bronze option.

I'm thinking about purchasing the STL file and shopping it out to one of the metal 3D printing services that Google turns up.

Does anyone have experience of such services, any ideas about cost for a typical miniature?

10 hours ago, ryanm said:

I'm dismayed to discover that heroforge's steel printing option was a victim of Covid disruption, and I can't quite bring myself to spring for the bronze option.

I'm thinking about purchasing the STL file and shopping it out to one of the metal 3D printing services that Google turns up.

Does anyone have experience of such services, any ideas about cost for a typical miniature?

No, (and I appreciate this is not really answering) but I bought from them using the hard plastic option a while back. I was quite pleased with the quality of that. Glueing a 2p coin to the base gave it some heft too.

I am away at the moment, but when I get back I will look out a photo for you.

Cheers for that! Unfortunately I'm not a patient man. Some further googling suggested that Shapeways are partnered with heroforge and so were probably used to this sort of thing. I purchased the STL, uploaded it to shapeways, and the wee hefty lad is in production.

On 23/02/2022 at 13:54, Rikku said:

I'm absolutely nowhere near the skill level of people in this thread, but I did vow that in 2022 I would paint my first mini and I'm pretty happy with the result!  Really looking forward to exploring the hobby and actually having a fully painted boardgame for the first time. :D

image.thumb.png.8b54049ebbafaf1b8195a0a28d9f8428.pngimage.thumb.png.67265a6b588183ecb59161eb9745a885.png

'Not near the skill level' posts an incredible job...piss off :P

He was fine for a first attempt 😅  After I finished painting Descent, I really begged @Nathan Wind to let me at some Bloodbowl dudes. 

I started with the Black Orcs and started to learn glazing and layering a bit more. I love these minis for learning on. :) 

FB4DCD3E-60A0-4B01-9633-3774FAB1AD0F.jpeg

8AADC8D3-2460-4331-9696-5C423BEAAD2C.jpeg

The goblins on the team are still a work in progress. 

70FE4DA0-3B12-481C-AA40-7F322A39AB23.jpeg

Slayer Sword winner from this weekend: Chris Clayton and his duel:

310426489_3434726593415289_10146630056810761_n.thumb.jpg.26e0dc48efe652b28878e56760eeb5fe.jpg

Chris is one of the most amazing artists I know. Also an absolutely wonderful sculptor to boot. Just love the way he paints - he's got such a naturalistic way of painting. I think the best part of it is the foam in the resin just by the giant's foot :P

From the little I've seen, there've been some smashing paintings in the competition. Can't wait to see more.

13 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

That’s incredible.

I can’t quite fathom how Golden Demon works. Is it basically that if you can get an entry ticket, you can enter a model? There doesn’t seem to be any qualitative entrance/vetting procedure, like regional heats or whatever? 

Not anymore. Years ago it used to be you'd enter in a local store and they had mini-comps. Winners went through. However, these days you just turn up! Which was a good thing for me in 2010 2008 (!) when I got back into painting because I entered three pieces and the one that I thought had no chance of doing anything was the only one which got a pin :P . I know for sure none of them would have placed had I had to enter via a store!

Ah, I see! So basically you could be a really, really good painter, and simply not get a ticket because presumably  you have to just sit there mashing the button like you’re  trying to get concert tickets? But equally you could get a ticket and enter anything of any quality.

5 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Ah, I see! So basically you could be a really, really good painter, and simply not get a ticket because presumably  you have to just sit there mashing the button like you’re  trying to get concert tickets? But equally you could get a ticket and enter anything of any quality.

Absolutely! I think that's one of the great strengths of these competitions really. Sure, it's a bummer if you can't get a ticket, but at least everyone who did had a chance to enter and get judged!

I have to say though, I've been to a fair number of GDs over the years, and the standard is phenomenally high all the time. You don't tend to see anything less than pretty good! 

Edit: Also, it also shines a light on just how good some painters are in terms of painting stuff like NMM. Now, I'm not a huge fan of the technique most of the time because whilst loads look wonderful in a photo with top lighting conditions and everything - only a small fraction of these look good in the flesh! The ones which do are astonishingly good little works of art, and deserve loads of praise! 

Although I do think you can get just as impressive results with metallic paint too...just a different way of doing it really!

Either way, all these competitions get me hugely motivated and that's always a good thing.

Interesting. I don’t think I’m good enough to enter yet, but maybe in a year or two I don’t know. I think a lot of the winning entries seem to have a real edge in terms of the mis en scène and basing, like the winner posted above. Just painting well isn’t enough, and rightly so or they’d never distinguish between the many talented people out there. 

I was happy enough to get another mention on the official Warhammer Twitch stream on Friday. Must be exhilarating to actually win a prize! 

5B75F319-B334-48EA-A666-784482D72671.thumb.jpeg.27b560e2577405464cdc29dfb27fd403.jpeg

Quality stuff! Love those little pin-pricks of white to highlight things :) . Also love the way you get better and better with each figure you paint!

As for being good enough to enter...if you get a chance, just enter. You lose nothing by doing so, and at the very least you'll very quickly see where you are in comparison to other people. I certainly did when I entered - I'd worked really hard on a couple of the pieces, and had some lovely feedback from people. But I looked at them in the cabinets beside other pieces and immediately knew that they weren't gonna make the cut. Still very happy with them, but just knew that I'd need to really step up if I wanted to carry on competing that way.

And really, I didn't want to. I don't have that competitive streak in me which makes some people create these amazing things. I always painted because I liked doing it, and thankfully it's become a way I make money too because people like the way I paint - or maybe it's because I don't charge enough ;) . I'm content in what I do though, and that's good enough for me. It would be nice to find some time to really do something big and bold and cool just for myself, but god knows when that would ever happen these days :P 

Cheers dude. Sometimes I think I’m not progressing at all, but just recently I’ve started closing in on the box art a bit more. I think I still have something to prove to myself in that regard - I just want to see if it’s possible I guess! But that’s not really that interesting a pursuit long term - far more fun to create a scene or something from one’s own imagination. We did that a bit when we had the monthly painting challenge on here, especially the duel theme.