The Miniatures and Scale model appreciation thread

JoeK

On 25/10/2022 at 01:35, Captain Kelsten said:

What brushes does everybody use? I had a load of citadel ones but I wasn’t careful with them, left them standing in water etc and now they’re basically fucked. I need to get some decent ones, especially for detail work. Any recommendations? 

I've gone through loads of different brands and keep finding myself returning to Rapheal and Da Vinci. The cost to quality ratio is spot on. I've tried Winsow and Newton S7 several time, but over half had quality issues that don't justify the high cost IMO.

Whicever you get, invest in some brush soap and learn proper brush care.

Got to the usual point I get to where I'm stuck for how to make it more interesting. The leaves need some variety and his teeth need some dry brushing or something. I get impatient and try to rush ahead to try and make it look cohesive and then I end up painting over bits because I didn't think ahead. Urgh.

Also the green on the vines dried super glossy which annoyed me.

IMG_20221025_150920.thumb.jpg.e83a5510ed9cb0354e6fc575fd67bd5e.jpg

Super Dungeon Explore. Fucking awful game but rad minis. It was £25 many moons ago so I figured if it was shit I could just paint the figures. It was so I've got a stock of them all primered for practice because my logic went "hey, they're all chunky chibi nonsense, how hard could they be?" Answer: Pretty fucking hard at times.

3 minutes ago, Captain Kelsten said:

You

A8DB1E1A-2CC1-4285-A9A4-8284504953E8.thumb.jpeg.82d2e105c45801fb81ac2a81c91da23f.jpeg

vs the guy she tells you not to worry about

FEA4BA1F-53D9-4B35-9BDE-DCC2A7EB020D.png.d0c2b134a6ff10f7b733b91fb48e1377.png

How the fudge am I ever going to get mine looking like that?!? I think I’ve done alright and then see something like the above and suddenly mine looks like a burns victim :lol:

Time and patience.

1 hour ago, Captain Kelsten said:

You

A8DB1E1A-2CC1-4285-A9A4-8284504953E8.thumb.jpeg.82d2e105c45801fb81ac2a81c91da23f.jpeg

vs the guy she tells you not to worry about

FEA4BA1F-53D9-4B35-9BDE-DCC2A7EB020D.png.d0c2b134a6ff10f7b733b91fb48e1377.png

How the fudge am I ever going to get mine looking like that?!? I think I’ve done alright and then see something like the above and suddenly mine looks like a burns victim :lol:

What Moosegrinder said. The GW team are professionals with many, many years of painting under their belts, and with a deep knowledge of a range of techniques. And they also have access to every paint in the range! 

However, there are some specific practical things you could try. They certainly helped me:

Magnifying glasses. Total game changer. Half the time I was missing the target on even fairly clearly sculpted elements, never mind things like eyes. They’re inexpensive but they’ve totally transformed my painting because I can actually see what I’m doing.

Decent brushes with a good tip. I like Rosemary & Co. Series 33. 

Don’t obsess over them, but do watch tutorials on YouTube. There are some which will make the hobby seem impossible but others that point out stuff that will seem obvious in hindsight, but you may not have realised until you see how it’s done. I really, really like Juan Hidalgo, as the point of his videos is to get as close to the GW house style as possible with mainly contrast paints, but in such a way that really feels achievable. But Duncan Rhodes is also great, as is this guy, who paints in a really succinct way aimed at painting to a more beginner friendly level:

I think his videos are very, very easy to emulate, he has great ideas for speeding stuff up, and he also isn’t ashamed to show mistakes. 

I’d suggest taking the time as well to familiarise yourself with the various ways you can approach a paint job. There are many, many ways to skin a cat. For example:

Base coat, shade, layer, highlight. The “Traditional” Games Workshop Way.

”Grisaille” or pre-shading. Lately referred to as the “Slapchop” method. This involves a fairly extreme initial zenithal prime or dry-brushed high contrast prime, over which you apply contrast paints. Really fast. 

The elite, gradual build up of colour via glazes method. I don’t know what else to call it, but it’s basically what people like Darren Latham do, and it involves starting from a dark colour and building up brighter and brighter with insanely thin glazes. 

I’ve tried this, and the self-restraint and patience involved in keeping the paint so thin and only on the tip of the brush is beyond me currently. But knowing this is one way to do things has still helped me just by knowing about it, and I’ve used it to improve the way I paint other things, like skulls.

Talking of Darren Latham, this is THE way to do bases IMO:

There are some excellent tips regarding things like tidy base rims that a lot of miniature painters could do with learning! 

As for your Kroot there, I’d say that it looks as if you need a few more coats of your base colours to get a solid colour, especially on your metallic areas. It looks a bit thinly applied to me, and therefore a bit washed out. The leather on the belt is another example. Then I would say shade everything much darker than it currently is. That will make the recessed areas much darker, and provide the basis for higher contrast overall. Then re-layer the original colours on top, and finally highlight the raised areas as much as you dare. The muscles on his legs for example have clear raised areas you could gradually make lighter (maybe even by using thin glazes like in that video!). This is always the hardest part as it requires the most precision and bravery. But it’s the other side to the high contrast coin. 

But yeah, first thing I’d do is splash that Nuln Oil all over him, get that shading nice and dark. :)

3 hours ago, Captain Kelsten said:

AS @moosegrinder said, time.

I'm a fan of showing this model:

2000_02_Giraldez-1.png

It was the first model painted in 2001 by by the person who would end up painting this 15 years later:

kum-raider.jpg

You get better at anything if you stick with it.

also @Captain Kelsten spend more time per model. You're blasting through models at a fair pace which is good but every so often, set yourself the challenge of spending 3x the time painting a single model.  all those "that'll do"''s fix, all those things you arent happy with, address, all those mistakes, fix etc.

I’m painting a primaris warsuit and noticed a dent in a leg. I figured I’d make some slash marks with a hobby knife to make it all look like battle damage. Mistake. 

My plan is to take the paint off and fill it with either liquid or normal green stuff. What would you recommend, and if normal green stuff, what tools? 

I thought about these: 

10 Pcs Clay Sculpting Tools Flexible Silicone Carving Modelling Tools Clay Color Shapers Pottery Sculpture Sealers for Clay Pottery Shaping https://amzn.eu/d/1o22lyQ

15 minutes ago, Nicky said:

Just working out in my head where you can go from here.

Just more practice, I guess. I’m still very new at this and taking the opportunity to experiment and see what works and what doesn’t. I can see the progress I’ve made in just a couple of weeks which is pleasing, but still a long way to go. I’m trying to identify one or two things from each model that I’ve done well and am proud of. 

For example, I’m pretty good at doing their (bloody tiny) eyes, and I like how I’ve done that distressed leather look on the gun holster on his back.