The Miniatures and Scale model appreciation thread

JoeK

So having bought an airbrush I've now realised what a whole new world of pain opportunity they can be.

What do people do to combat dry tip (phnerk) and generally dilute the paint? I was using airbrush thinner for the primer coat and that worked OK but ultimately resulted in dry tip anyway. I then tried diluting the paint with just water when applying the base coat, and it didn't go well at all. I barely got a couple of minutes of spraying time before it was clogged and cleaning the tip gave me about 30 secs more at best.

Luckily due to having a terrible memory and an itchy purchasing finger I currently have both airbrush thinner and flow improver. Do people use thinner for everything, or water plus flow improver, or any other combination?

After experimentation I use a combination of airbrush thinner, drying retarder and flow aid in a roughly 70  /20 / 10 ratio.  I still get tip dry, but not nearly as badly as I did using just water.

I've seen quite a few people recommend windex, but I'd say that's a major no no.  The active ingredient in windex is ammonia, and it would be atomised in the air as you spray

On 6/2/2017 at 12:25, Kzo said:

Sweet dragon! Looking forward to Jabba, hope to get that expansion in the future.

There are some not great paint jobs in the competition, are all entries just included?

I'll be looking some treasure chests and the like when I get Gloomhaven, anyone know where I can get various dungeon scatter stuff? I've seen the mantic ones but would prefer unpainted, if possible (I didn't pledge their KS either - bit too much for me only starting off).

On 6/2/2017 at 12:39, And said:

@feltmonkey  that's incredible. Well done mate. 

On 6/2/2017 at 13:32, Cocky said:

That's a great looking dragon @feltmonkey

On 6/2/2017 at 13:32, cavalcade said:

Yes, well done felt!

My son will be made up when I give it to him :)

On 6/2/2017 at 13:49, Mikes said:

Nice work, Felt. Consider yourself voted for. 

I forgot to say, but thanks guys. :)

@Kzo - Yeah, all entries are included in the vote.  It's more of a challenge than a competition - post a pic at the start of the month of what you're going to paint, unpainted.  Then at the end of the month post up the finished miniature or diorama. 

Regarding treasure chests, the one I got is from here - http://www.firestormgames.co.uk/treasure-chest  I don't know what postage would be on it.  Fortunately for me I live 20 minutes from the brick and mortar shop it comes from, so I was able to just buy it off the shelf like some kind of old-fashioned person from the past.

After experimentation I use a combination of airbrush thinner, drying retarder and flow aid in a roughly 70  /20 / 10 ratio.  I still get tip dry, but not nearly as badly as I did using just water.

So I've just tried this (minus the drying retarder) and it made a massive difference. To the extent that I could do some spraying, put the airbrush down, go and have dinner, come back and carry on without the tip clogging once.

@Klaark  That is fucking splendid. 

A moan. If I may. 

I bought the New Bloodbowl troll and ogre. About £25 for the pair. 

The ogre went together ok. The troll. Fuck me. It's such a bad design. The whole model attaches to the base by 1 foot, which itself is a flat join that needs to be glued to the leg at the ankle. I've snapped it off once already. 

A delicate troll. Slow hand clap. 

3 minutes ago, And said:

A moan. If I may. 

The ogre wenymt together ok. The troll. Fuck me. It's such a bad design. The whole model attaches to the base by 1 foot, which itself is a flat join that needs to be glued to the leg at the ankle. I've snapped it off once already. 

A pin-vice and some paperclips are your friends here.

You need to get some support on that leg, and sticking a pin in there does the job marvellously!

8 minutes ago, JoeK said:

A pin-vice and some paperclips are your friends here.

You need to get some support on that leg, and sticking a pin in there does the job marvellously!

Thats actually exactly what I was thinking. Next time it shears off. I've a tiny drill bit that should work. 

And a mini to offset the moan. Pretty much done, needs the base painting. 

Getting there on sde. 4 frog knights untouched and the rest of the heroes are based and washed. 

Started on bits of the ogre too. 

@Klaark and @And - Lovely work.

And, I had the same problem with that frigging troll.  It's supposed to be reinforced by that little ankle ring, but I snapped the ankle ring in three places and couldn't glue it back together.  A friend of mine who also bought it had the same problem as well.  It's definitely a flawed design.

4.5 weeks! Alright for some! Enjoy. 

@feltmonkey it looked like there were grooves for the ankle ring to fit into, but it just didn't fit so I had to trim it to get it on. 

Plus I'm painting him in bits as one hand completely covers his face while the shoulder pad would be impossible if it was attached. 

Thanks all. I have a funny feeling that the competition is going to be a like/share effort on Facebook, which means that I'm unlikely to get any worthwhile feedback on what I've done. I want to be able to get constructive criticism on my painting - does anyone know of any regular competitions or websites where I'd be able to achieve this? Ultimately I paint because I find it a very pleasurable way to spend my free time and relax, but I want to be able to harness my competitive streak to move me on in my technique and ability! I went rooting around in the attic the other night and found a load of old miniatures from 1993/4 that I've not painted - Space Wolf squads, Terminators and Blood Angels characters. In amongst them was one of the first minis I'd painted when I was about 9 years-old. I think this is what they call progress...

IMG_0040.JPG

I suspect on any facebook group/forum there will be people who can help you but bear in mind it's really difficult to give constructive criticism to strangers on the internet. I spend a lot of time studying and thinking about miniature painting techniques and theory and yet even if you posted that space marine I'd be reluctant to offer anything other than encouragement. It's useful to provide information about what methods you are using or style you are trying to achieve that way people can give you more specific advice, But finding someone in the real world you can help is probably the best way to improve. You'll learn more from seeing a technique demonstrated than having someone tell you to thin your paints on a forum. A lot of great painters give classes so it's worth looking out for anything in your area or at a convention you can attend. 

4 hours ago, Klaark said:

Thanks all. I have a funny feeling that the competition is going to be a like/share effort on Facebook, which means that I'm unlikely to get any worthwhile feedback on what I've done. I want to be able to get constructive criticism on my painting - does anyone know of any regular competitions or websites where I'd be able to achieve this? Ultimately I paint because I find it a very pleasurable way to spend my free time and relax, but I want to be able to harness my competitive streak to move me on in my technique and ability! 

The Dakkadakka monthly painting challenge would seem to fit the bill. 

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/forums/show/8.page

Have a look for the latest unofficial painting challenge thread, register, and jump in. Everyone posts a "proof" pic of what they're going to paint that month, then when they're finished, they post pics of the completed model. There is then a voting thread where everyone pics their favourites and gives feedback. It's generally a really positive atmosphere, and you might get some useful tips. It's certainly a good way to motivate yourself to improve month on month. Plus you'd have a guaranteed vote from me each month as a fellow mukker. :D

On 2017-6-8 at 21:26, And said:

A moan. If I may. 

The ogre went together ok. The troll. Fuck me. It's such a bad design. The whole model attaches to the base by 1 foot, which itself is a flat join that needs to be glued to the leg at the ankle. I've snapped it off once already. 

I'm sure if you leave it alone, it'll regenerate the foot...

So I bought an airbrush last week, and it's been a real learning experience. And what I've learned is: I'm crap at airbrushing.

Does anyone know of any tutorials anywhere about doing detail work with an airbrush? Every time I search on youtube I just get videos of people doing base coating or highlighting large areas that don't need much precision. I'm looking for advice on doing really intricate stuff with an airbrush, if it exists.

Also, is a 0.15mm nozzle noticeable different from a 0.2mm?

tips:

Don't use paint thinner. thinner reduces drying time of your paints and makes your tip get dry (fnarr) and causes issues.

Do use flow improver, as a dilutant instead which increses drying time and will give you better flow through the airbrush.

paints have different particular mass. the pigments / flakes in the paint are a certain size and you'll get to a stage of dilutant where its not worth your time, so getting a finer tipped needle isnt always the answer. Infact some of the best mini painters around will use a .375 or a .4 needle becuase of paints they're using are made to perform better with a larger aperture.

If you're using a .2 (like i did for ages) you'll start to understand how much of a pain in the arse they can be for general workign and maintenence unless you're working with thin inks. I'd also say that you probably shouldn't be looking at an airbrush for doing intricate stuff for miniatures, use them like you've noticed for getting smooth flat / shaded areas down. So proper shade and highlight on spacemarines, vehicles, power weapons, cloaks and furs. you still should probably be using a decent brush for all filagrie / faces / metalwork etc

finally, metallics in an airbrush are a pain in the arse, not just becuase of their larger particulate size, but they're a cunt to clean the metallics out thoroughly

main issue with an airbrush for detail work is overspray on such small areas and the fact you're blowing paint. much better to use a really fine brush.

Ive got a 0.2 Harder and Steenbeck Infinity here that ive fucked the nozzle on, and am going to get a 0.4 when i can justify spending 40odd quid :(

as for painting random tips, ive just discovered the joys of using a mega-fine micron pen for scrolls and eyes.

The only people I've seen who can do ultra fine detailing with airbrushes are people who've been using them for years and years and years. Point blank, airbrushes were never really designed to work like that on such small figures. That they do is testament to the artists themselves rather than the tool! If you're determined to use an airbrush, then start with the basics and eventually work your way up.

In all honestly though for detail work a fine brush will always be better. 

Disclaimer: I hate using airbrushes and it's mainly because of the maintenance - they're pain in the arses, and I respect the hell out of people who have the sheer will to persevere! 

Mate, that looks fantastic!

I painted numbers on all my ork team, but I deliberately didn't try to make them too neat, as I thought the orcs might have scrawled them on themselves. So I don't think a slightly scruffy number would be the end of the world anyway. General tips for fine details like this are a good-quality very fine brush (with, most importantly, a good tip) and perhaps some magnifying glasses. I have a set that I wear for this sort of thing. It's these ones, actually - 

https://www.emodels.co.uk/lightcraft-led-spectacles-and-5-lenses-s-lc1770.html

s-lc1770_1.jpg.0caca0e9ccee56006b2f9d5a1a421e08.jpg

They're really good for the job, and have the added bonus of making me look like a pervert.

On 6/6/2017 at 22:52, Seamonster said:

So I've just tried this (minus the drying retarder) and it made a massive difference. To the extent that I could do some spraying, put the airbrush down, go and have dinner, come back and carry on without the tip clogging once.

@Seamonster and others: is this working for Primer?  I'm having terrible trouble using my standard thinner mix (IPA/water/flow improver/fluid retarder mix recommended online). Too little and it clogs; any more than that and it spreads out into a diffuser-style mess.

[mention=248]Seamonster[/mention] and others: is this working for Primer?  I'm having terrible trouble using my standard thinner mix (IPA/water/flow improver/fluid retarder mix recommended online). Too little and it clogs; any more than that and it spreads out into a diffuser-style mess.

I didn't have any trouble with priming. I just diluted the primer 1:1 with thinner and that was it. It was the first thing I used the airbrush for so I was pretty gentle with it but also held the airbrush a fair bit further away than I did subsequently when base coating. Probably 2-3 inches distance with a pressure of 1.8 bar.

The thing I've noticed with clogging is that you can't airbrush intermittently. As soon as you start putting paint through the nozzle you need to keep breaks between paint blast as short as possible otherwise the paint will dry on the tip by the time you next go to use it.