IGNORED

The Miniatures and Scale model appreciation thread

JoeK

Ace skellie Joe. I love Otherworld.

I'm very lucky - I know the owner and Otherworld is literally 10 minutes up the road from where I live, so when I popped over I did a little bit of swoppsies with him :) . So many fantastic figures though! The all-metal giant they have has to be seen in the flesh - it's so bloody big (and heavy)!

I will, but only when I finish it off . I don't want folk to see the dodginess of the painting at this stage...I'm a very messy painter until the final strokes! Thanks for the tips though...I'll be using 'em.

I was three sheets to the wind when I wrote that up last night - sorry for being so pushy! I haven't really got access to painted miniatures, but I might do a little shoot with some basic kit, see how it comes out. If it's any good, they might be useful for folk :)

I was three sheets to the wind when I wrote that up last night - sorry for being so pushy! I haven't really got access to painted miniatures, but I might do a little shoot with some basic kit, see how it comes out. If it's any good, they might be useful for folk :)

Do it! It'll definitely be a help to me :)

Anyhoo...

Next round of highlights and shading.

DSC03515.jpg

Quick snap this time though :P

I'm very lucky - I know the owner and Otherworld is literally 10 minutes up the road from where I live, so when I popped over I did a little bit of swoppsies with him :) . So many fantastic figures though! The all-metal giant they have has to be seen in the flesh - it's so bloody big (and heavy)!

I couldn't say I know Richard but we have been in email correspondence for ages. I first bought the PHB Demon Idol when he produced it nearly five years ago.

I couldn't say I know Richard but we have been in email correspondence for ages. I first bought the PHB Demon Idol when he produced it nearly five years ago.

Still a great figure that. Want to get the 'upgrade' pack on it (with looters taking the jewels and stuff!)

Ace stuff. I think most people here know, but I don't - do you do this for a living? Some sort of professional modeller?

Wish I was as it'd make things more affordable, but alas no. I run small biz selling figures I have a hand in designing (sometimes!), commission folk to sculpt and then I produce 'em. However, the painting is purely a past-time - although the needs of the business mean I try and get my hand in from time to time. These days though it does take an awful lot to get me enthusiastic about picking up a brush - I get bored very quickly :P . Still, it's good fun, and making figures is even better!

Yeah, I like to keep work and hobbies separate, as no doubt I'd have nothing but seething hatred for it after about five minutes.

Do you sell painted kit and/or do you take commissions to paint peoples' gear?

None of the stuff I sell is painted (that would definitely kill me off :P ), and as for commissions...not really. There have been odd occasions when I do it, but quite honestly I find it terribly tough going when you're painting to a deadline and having to follow someone else's ideas. I'm also a picky bastard - if I paint more than one of something at the same time I lose all love for it.

Decided to put my money where my mouth is and take some example shots. All shots... well... bar the one of the camera, which is a camera shot by a camera...

wTclk.png

... were shot using a cheap compact camera.

• So this is as simple as it gets. I used:
  • Natural light
  • Model
  • Black cardboard (Arkham Horror board in fact)
  • Compact camera (Pentax Optio E90, about £40, years ago)

Here's the shot from my phone camera of the entire setup:

rMuwj.png

...and here is the shoot proper. An important note - I've made no image corrections apart from resizing and cropping, just to prove it can be done simply and cheaply. All the shots were done using the Macro built-in function all cameras have. This symbol:

macro_symbol_packshot.gif

Right, here we go.

921ck.png

Sm7wp.png

kaZHml.jpg

And this one I'm particularly happy about:

29lXz.png

Hopefully that proves you can shoot decent shots, with natural light, with built-in macro on a cheap camera, and get nice results. There are flaws: some aspects are over bright (my fault - I could have adjusted the light's angle to eliminate a few of these issues), there's some artifacting as the camera's ISO performance is crap etc. but bear in mind I'd be able to scrub a load of these out with post-processing: bit of tweaks to contrast, exposure and stuff and they'd come right out. These are the straight-out-the-camera JPGs.

There are a couple of shot techniques in their that make the frame a bit more interesting... can you spot what they are? I'll write up some notes and tips when I get time. In the meantime, hopefully this was useful in some way :)

• 1 month later...

I've ordered the Dust Tactics core set, and in preparation for it's arrival, I'd like to read about some more 'realistic' painting techniques. Although it's a weird war setting, the painting schemes are very real world.

Any online guides or books that are recommended? I'd imagine a ww2 panzer tank scheme would convert over to the axis walkers for example.

Previously I've mostly painted spesh marines in all their primary colour glory.

• 4 weeks later...

Plastic miniatures keep their paint fairly well - paint seals well to them, plus their lack of weight means that they can withstand tumbles. Sealing them with varnish can help stop them aging (i.e. reduce gradual wear from use, and fading from exposure to natural light), but it's not entirely essential - and a bad batch of varnish (or a heavy-handed application of it) can spoil a paint scheme.

Metal miniatures, on the other hand, need varnishing if you want them to stand a chance of keeping their paint job for a reasonable length of time.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not s

How do you get such good results so quickly? I'm doing well to get a basecoat on within an hour.

I've been attempting to answer this for a while, and I'm not so sure I can! I think it's possibly a mix of a few things -

Liking the thing I'm painting (very important. I paint so little at the moment, I really do have to be enthused by it).

Sticking to a pretty limited palette

Being incredibly 'fluid' with the paints until right until the end, where I'll touch things up.

I have very little idea of how things will end up - I have vague ideas on what colours to use, but I'll just slap on the paint and most of the time it'll turn out okay. I guess it helps that I've been painting that same way since the early 90s though :P .

Also, I don't use any 'special' fancy techniques - can't be doing with 'em at all really. It's never appealed at all, so in effect I just do the three things -

Base, Wash, Highlight.

That'll do I reckon :) . Might not make me a GD winner, but it at least pleases me!

I guess it helps that I've been painting that same way since the early 90s though :P .

It's interesting that you mention this as a while back I found some figures I had painted fifteen years ago. I was quite surprised by how good they were considering all I had then was a couple of the gw guides and white dwarf to learm from and in some ways there were better than what I can do now. All of which makes me wonder what if I hadn't lost interest! But yeah I really need to stick to a few methods and practice rather than trying to emulate that ridiculously talented guy on massive voodoo..

It's interesting that you mention this as a while back I found some figures I had painted fifteen years ago. I was quite surprised by how good they were considering all I had then was a couple of the gw guides and white dwarf to learm from and in some ways there were better than what I can do now. All of which makes me wonder what if I hadn't lost interest! But yeah I really need to stick to a few methods and practice rather than trying to emulate that ridiculously talented guy on massive voodoo..

I did exactly the same thing a while ago too! Before I started painting again in 2008, the last GD I went to was in '92. I entered in the comp, and certainly didn't win anything, but I distinctly remember getting crit from some of the judges who thought it was fairly decent. I looked at it again and it made me think that I might have actually got really decent if I'd not let real life draw me away from the hobby.

Ah well, I lost interest in the competitive side a long, long time ago, and to be honest as long as I'm happy with the results then that'll do me :)

I was reading Jakob Rune Nielsen's blog and this mini caught my eye, the servo skull collector. He's a two time slayer sword winner, as well as many other awards, for those who don't know who he is.

7.jpg

20120321.jpg

20120324.jpg

and finished, this is for gaming with, not competition

20120407_3.jpg

1f.jpg

2f.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, that's fantastic.

I was at my friends' house last night, and saw a great model. Bit of backstory: my friend Die and her boyfriend Mark went to stay in Austraila with a friend, and he's an RPG nut. Sadly he's a bit of an arse about it, and took it very seriously. So whilst he was laying down the law about one of their games, for a laugh Die said, "I'm only playing this if I can be a sentient kebab!" and he threw a huff.

Anyway, Mark's a great painter and Die's an artist/sculpter and generally very talented. So as a joke, Die sculpted this and Mark painted it, to send to him - take a look :)

sentitent_kebab.jpg

:lol:

Having managed to acquire Mantic Games' Twilight Kin Mega Army for a third of its normal price, I've been painting my way through their version of Dark Elves recently. It's been quite a fun project, almost surprisingly so as painting lots of rank & file troops usually bores me to tears. Anyhow, here's a close up of the Sorceress (more) and if you're interested in the other figures there are loads of pictures on my blog over at WarSphinx.

120720_Slider-470x260.jpg