The Miniatures and Scale model appreciation thread

JoeK

Looks awesome JoeK.  Love te Yoric pose.

I finally got the Confrontation minis I got from ebay while on holiday primed and ready to go.

They're the six on the left of this force fo Griffins I have to paint:

20643513_10154593744687047_1540560181617

And the four big ones at the front here:

20626161_10154593745002047_5083847551147

I've got :

6 super dungeon minis

6 poxwalkers 

10 plaguebearers

7 nurgle marines and champions

6 primaris marines

18 ork BB players

18 human BB players 

An entire spacehulk set 

and I only started buying stuff back in jan

I think it looks fine.  If you were to do anything, I'd suggest the larger pools of Corrosion are a little too uniform.  You could vary them up a bit, either lightening or darkening them with some light brushing of the base colour or a few patches of Corrosion mixed with something darker.

22 hours ago, Mikes said:

I think it looks fine.  If you were to do anything, I'd suggest the larger pools of Corrosion are a little too uniform.  You could vary them up a bit, either lightening or darkening them with some light brushing of the base colour or a few patches of Corrosion mixed with something darker.

Cheers, I will try to mix it up a bit. Saw some people putting paint on with a sponge on Youtube so I'll maybe give that a go, looked pretty good.

34 minutes ago, And said:

How do you guys stop your brushes splitting? I've loads that won't hold a point anymore. 

Careful use and cleaning.

Never dip too close to, and definitely never beyond the metal. You will get paint in the depth of the bristles that will not wash out and will cause them to splay.

Roll them to a point when removing excess paint on your pallette,

Never rest them in a water pot or touch the bottom of that pot.

Clean them all the time.

Lick them to a point (acrylic paints a re non toxic.)

Others will have more tips I am sure.

12 minutes ago, Aluco said:

Careful use and cleaning.

Never dip too close to, and definitely never beyond the metal. You will get paint in the depth of the bristles that will not wash out and will cause them to splay.

Roll them to a point when removing excess paint on your pallette,

Never rest them in a water pot or touch the bottom of that pot.

Clean them all the time.

Lick them to a point (acrylic paints a re non toxic.)

Others will have more tips I am sure.

Hmmm I'm already doing all of that, probably cheap brushes is the problem rather than my care. Thanks though. 

Picked up the wood elf Blood Bowl team in GW's last made to order. It's odd going back to painting miniatures from the mid-nineties - the design of the things has changed quite dramatically since then! I found a colour scheme online that I liked and then shifted a few bits so that they matched the colours of a goldfinch. Now for the rest of the line-up!

IMG_0619.JPG

Thanks chap. The team was £32, but I went for the extra treeman which cost an additional £18, so £50 in total. Not sure I'll start with the big guy though, as punching the opposition isn't in the wood elf playbook!

1 hour ago, And said:

Hmmm I'm already doing all of that, probably cheap brushes is the problem rather than my care. Thanks though. 

I've got a Windsor Newton Series 7 that is splitting after about 15 minis painted. I use Master's brush cleaner after every session, think I've just dipped it too far into the paint a few times and its gotten into the ferrule.

Any way to recover a brush that has already started to split?

3 hours ago, And said:

3 hours ago, And said:

Not always.  My first brushes were $8 Franchvilles, and they lasted years.  I just made sure to gives them a proper wash in clean water after each session and putting the plastic jacket thing over them (carefully) before storage.

Since I've upgraged to more expenseive brushes I've added some Master Bruhs soap into the mix.  I don't use after every paint session, but at least once every three or four.

8 hours ago, Klaark said:

Thanks chap. The team was £32, but I went for the extra treeman which cost an additional £18, so £50 in total. Not sure I'll start with the big guy though, as punching the opposition isn't in the wood elf playbook!

That's not so bad, is it a full team or are you missing positions like the base teams that come in the new box?

32 minutes ago, And said:

That's not so bad, is it a full team or are you missing positions like the base teams that come in the new box?

Just two linemen which I was able to pick up for a few quid on eBay. As you say, some of the teams come without key positions which end up costing as much as the team again if you want to lay your hands on them. I did my research before buying these as I got burned when putting an orc team together.

Just now, Klaark said:

Just two linemen which I was able to pick up for a few quid on eBay. As you say, some of the teams come without key positions which end up costing as much as the team again if you want to lay your hands on them. I did my research before buying these as I got burned when putting an orc team together.

Yeah, I ended up buying 2 extra sprues of orcs to get the extra blockers and blitzers,  then a troll, and a 4 pack of goblins but now have all bases covered. 

Finished up the AT-ST. Tried to vary the corrosion consistency as Mike suggested but think I've probably overdone it a bit. Tried out the sponge thing too which I think adds a nice bit of character to the large empty spaces. First time doing basing, made some home-made mud which was fun to use. Overall, fairly happy for my first vehicle as got to try out some new techniques.

Spoiler

a0Y14jY.jpg

pzlD1wA.jpg

Also finished up Gideon, OK job I think, didn't put a massive amount of effort in and messed up his coat and trousers a bit.

Spoiler

NVAJwZI.jpg

W3vFMRO.jpg

Might try a different technique on the next gun I do. I don't think Sorastro's suggested technique (dark grey base, metallic drybrush, heavy black wash) gives a very interesting result. Any suggestions for this or other areas of improvement are welcome.

Cheers! Chewbacca and Ghaarkan next, then just Trandoshans, Jin & Mak (not in use this campaign) to finish off the core set.

2 missions left, really enjoy the game and have bought Twin Shadows and Bespin Gambit plus a good few figure packs. Will likely end up with the whole set, just need to find someone to play skirmish with. Fingers crossed FFG give some good news on the app at GenCon. My group enjoy the game but not sure if we would get through all the campaigns, will be able to play some on my own if the app is released :)

Ooh. Me likey the idea of clear bases. Where from?

In other news, after completely converting a spare bedroom in recent weeks into a workshop/ gaming room/science lab (oh, yes) I now have a painting bench all to myself. Got my Citadel paints laid out and finally got to start on my first painting since 1987! Doing the six 40K marines from the First Strike box to get started. Some early findings/lessons:

Spraying primer is harder than it looks. Really struggled to get my Chaos Black into all the nooks and crannies of these big boys. Ended up dripping wet and losing some detail. Need to refine my technique for sure.

Painting Supermarines uses a lot of McCragge Blue. Fuck me they have a lot of surfaces to cover.

I need a wet palette, as my paint is drying waaaay too quick - even with added water. Got some baker's parchment, so that's tomorrow's job sorted.

Paint in your ferrule hurts like a motherfucker. My Citadel Base Paint brush is already splitting. Even using the cleaning wax isn't fixing it. Need some more brushes I think.

Painting accurately is well hard. Even using an LED magnifier, the amount of smudges and rogue splotches is scary. And I have a pretty steady hand. Using a chunky base brush for fine detail work is part of the problem I hope. But it's still quite the challenge, and just reinforces my admiration for you fuckers.

After 2 hours I still haven't finished basing the first marine. Still have black and silver bits to do, and all the retouching with blue of course. Can't wait to get into shading and layer work. ^_^

And finally, it's fucking brilliant to be back doing it. What an awesome hobby. Loved every minute this morning, and those hours went in the blink of an eye.

30 years on, and it's good to be back baby!

25 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Spraying primer is harder than it looks. Really struggled to get my Chaos Black into all the nooks and crannies of these big boys. Ended up dripping wet and losing some detail. Need to refine my technique for sure.

It's a bit of myth to think you need to get primer everywhere on a figure to be honest. All you really need to do is get 'some' in most areas in a fairly even way. The primer will simply act as a 'key' to make the acrylic paint adhere a little bit better. To be honest, I know golden demon painters who don't even undercoat their stuff!

Black's a bit of an arse at the best of times though, as if it's the GW one, it's really not a proper primer - it's literally just paint in can form. My preference is a nice grey. I get Halford's car primer, and it does the job nicely. Also - whenever I've used black, I find myself squinting in pain, as I can't see sod all when I'm working :P .