The Miniatures and Scale model appreciation thread

JoeK

I use black car primer from Poundland. Works brilliantly, I just warm the can up in hot water and shake it for a solid few minutes. 

Edit: The black I have is the one from these 2 videos. This channel is great for cheap alternatives to many commonly used hobby items, including primers, basing materials etc. Has a lot of videos for terrain building too, although I've not had cause to watch those yet.

@jonamok

i never worry about getting it in the nooks but try and get a very light even coat. You can buy spray cans of the macragge blue, just use that next time!

I've been using plasticote Matt primer from hobbycraft. Got grey and black but the grey gets most use. 

On 8/11/2017 at 19:09, And said:

always surprises me when you guys are all like "yeah this one's rubbish" and it's light years better than what I'm turning out. 

That is a common thread :D  "My first try at painting in 15 years.  Please be kind."

5-unbound-bronze.jpg?w=620

Ooh, tutorials, I like the sound of that.

Also, I find myself getting excited fro smething GW for a change.  The new version of Adeptus Titanicus.  I bleieve this is a photo of the scale they're going with with the 3d printed titan on the right (the others being Forge World and original Epix 40k).

FB_IMG_1494867615104_zps9m71szxf.jpg

On 11/08/2017 at 15:14, Blunted said:

Started re-basing my MoM 2nd ed figures. Not the greatest models, but a bit of colour and some clear bases are a definite improvement.

IMG_20170810_094407.jpg

This is a great idea! How are you handling the cards for them?

I've got a pile of clear bases, may give this a go once I've painted them. 

14 hours ago, And said:

It's probably only a matter of time before Epic gets a reboot? What else can they redo? Dark future? Oi dats my leg?

Oh absolutely.  Also, I had a copy of Oi Dat's My Leg.  It was crap :( 

Anyhoo - had my second game of Batman last night.  I'm getting a hang of it and enjoyed it a lot more.  I lost fairly comprehensively, but the guy I was playing asked ahead of time if he could use the game as practice for an upcoming tournement, so he pulled no punches.  Let's see if this IMMGUR pug in thingy works...

This is both exciting and infuriating.

The Future is… Knight! 
Citizens of Gotham, pay close attention! Things may never be the same again… 
Since the release of the Batman Miniature Game five years ago, we’ve seen a lot of changes here at Knight Models. The games has gone from strength-to-strength, with a hardback core rulebook, two expansions, and the successful launch of the Batmatch organized play rules, helping to grow our amazing community around the world. 
Well, we have not rested on our laurels. Something new and very, very exciting is happening to our favourite game. 
We are delighted to announce the imminent arrival of the 
2nd Edition Batman Miniature Game rules. 
This lavish rulebook will be the culmination of thousands of games, and feedback from our customers. 
Fear not: it is still the game you know and love, with its street-level strategic action in Gotham’s darkened alleyways, but we’ve taken the opportunity to streamline the mechanics, making the rules more intuitive and even more fun, and we’ve 
consolidated a lot of hard-to- find rules and Traits into one mighty tome. We think players new and old will love it! 
But that’s not all – far from it! The launch of the new edition will be spearheaded by brand new miniatures, representing the pinnacle of our studio’s output. 
The new models will be produced in high-quality, coloured resin. Knight Models was founded on a love of display- 
quality models, and we think painters and modelers will agree that these new miniatures are the best we’ve ever produced. 
And if you’re a veteran Knight Models hobbyist, rest assured that every model from our current range will be 100% compatible with the new rules, and we’re working to ensure that your existing expansion books – such as the Arkham Knight Campaign Book – are still completely valid when the new edition hits the shelves. 
Keep your eyes on the Knight Models website and our social media channels for teasers and previews. There’s a lot to look forward to! 

20882158_1150794921687491_20253289143035

On one hand - that model is awesome and I like the game is progressing, ont he other, I spent $80 on the first ed rulebook two weeks ago and just found out it's irrelevant in just over a month.

I'm not a complainer, but I'm considering complaining to KM.  That's GW-level bullshit.

thankyou! ive just about finished the datasmith and a techpriest dominus.  The Dominus base isnt finished yet and he hasnt been weathered onto it. The Datasmith has been weathered, but the dust on his robes and feet will clear up when i dullcoat it. Not going for comp winning entries or anything close to that standard, as i have 3 more robots, 3 dunecrawlers, 5 electopriests, a squad of demolishers, 30 vanguards, 5 ruststalkers and Belisarius Cawl to build and paint, and an imperial knight to try finish magnetising and paint before the end of september so i can actually play.

i'll probably put more time and care into Cawl and the Knight, and am looking forward to the dunecrawlers so i can get back to working on some tanks, which is my painting and modelling background.

pqs4if1.jpgM046Nyx.jpg

6GGt6or.jpgvZMUi9l.jpg

Nice! The little spots of green and blue really bring them out and make them pop.

One of the guiltiest secrets in my pile of shame is a load of Mechanicus miniatures. I really must get round to painting them. Maybe after I've painted about 1500 points of Dark Eldar I'm trying to paint for Armies on Parade. And the Sylvaneth army I'm trying to paint by the end of the year. And my Blood Bowl teams. And...

Im basically undercoating in steel, then just painting the red bits in manually then washing and detailing, but im going to have to massively start sub assemblying due to all the fucking dangly bits being really annoying to paint behind.

yeah, i wanted to try the dominus first to see how bad that was to do fully assembled. but it shouldn't be too bad as i think you can split him at his waist so you get to do the gown and lower part all its own free from danglies.

edit: ive actually got 3 Dominus' after getting 3 getting started boxes. only going to build 2 though, probably butcher one for the old bits box.