rllmuk
JoeK

The Miniatures Appreciation Thread

Lips, I forgot to paint lips. 

Edit: Now with lips and a quick glaze on the cheek as it looked pretty bland. Any ideas for making the glowy eye thing look better/cooler? I think it's supposed to be a mask but the sculpt isn't very clear. 

IMG_20190820_224858__01.jpg

• Upvote 2

Airbrushes. What's the deal with those, right? /Seinfeld

It's been a while since I've done anything so I thought I'd batch primer a load of minis with the view of cracking on tomorrow but something's gone askew. 

The irritation I have is it could be one of so many things. It's only a practice mini, and even if it wasn't it could be stripped but it's the kind of thing that makes me throw me hands up and go "Fuck it". I think I upped the compression (only by .25 to 1.25) as well as thinning the paint too much probably to compensate for putting the needle in too far. I don't know. Bloody thing. Any thoughts?

IMG_20190824_162405-2218x3943.jpg

@moosegrinder the cracks?

What kind of primer are you using?  I use the Vallejo stuff mixed with some thinner, it’s very forgiving and shrinks over the mini as it cures (polyurethane based I believe).  I’m no expert, but the way I do it is to not spray a lot of paint (just pull back on the trigger slightly) and to keep it moving.  The paint/primer is so thin it’ll be dry enough for w second coat very quickly.  Although there’s not usually a need for a second with the primer, I just play it by ear I’m just trying to make it all black.

I also leave the primer ~24 to cure before moving on to zenithaling it or painting, but that’s just me being hyper cautious.  The painting weekend I did with Roman Lappat was spray it black, wait a few mins (the spray cans are passed around), then spray the white.  He uses spray cans for priming because he’s too lazy to clean his airbrush just for priming - that’s a direct quote.  And look st the stuff he’s producing.  I use the airbrush cause it’s more convenient than taking spray cans into the communal garden or car park.

Sorry off on a wide tangent there, the only priming issue I’ve had is when I washed some resin and didn’t let it fully dry.  The primer wouldn’t stick to the area which was still damp.

If spraying stuff is out I’ve had good results with just brushing the Vallejo primer on too.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The Bag said:

@moosegrinder the cracks?

What kind of primer are you using?  I use the Vallejo stuff mixed with some thinner, it’s very forgiving and shrink are the mini as it cures (polyurethane based I believe).  I’m no expert, but the way I do it is to not spray a lot of paint (just pull back on the trigger slightly) and to keep it moving.  The paint/primer is so thin it’ll be dry enough for w second coat very quickly.  Although there’s not usually a need for a second with the primer, I just play it by ear I’m just trying to make it all black.

I also leave the primer ~24 to cure before moving on to zenithaling it or painting, but that’s just me being hyper cautious.  The painting weekend I did with Roman Lappat was spray it black, wait a few mins (the spray cans are passed around), then spray the white.  He uses spray cans for priming because he’s too lazy to clean his airbrush just for priming - that’s a direct quote.  And look st the stuff he’s producing.  I use the airbrush cause it’s more convenient than taking spray cans into the communal garden or car park.

Sorry off on a wide tangent there, the only priming issue I’ve had is when I washed some resin and didn’t let it fully dry.  The primer wouldn’t stick to the area which was still damp.

If spraying stuff is out I’ve had good results with just brushing the Vallejo primer on too.

Yeah someone in a what's app group I'm in said the Vallejo is good. It could be a number of things from what I can see; it only just occurred the mini could be grubby as shit because they've been sat in the loft in a box for a year or two.

1 minute ago, And said:

The forgotten king! 

I cant help with your airbrush woes but that’s a great box of minis. 

It is, it's a shame I don't rate the game really. I got it for 25 quid a few years ago when Amazon was having a moment.

1 minute ago, moosegrinder said:

Yeah someone in a what's app group I'm in said the Vallejo is good. It could be a number of things from what I can see; it only just occurred the mini could be grubby as shit because they've been sat in the loft in a box for a year or two.

It is, it's a shame I don't rate the game really. I got it for 25 quid a few years ago when Amazon was having a moment.

Same, was around that much, I haven’t even played mine but it was worth it for a box of minis to paint and practice on when I was getting back into painting. 

I use the tree guy as a treeman in bloodbowl. 

I got two boxes. :D

I reckon the minis themselves might be the problem. I don't know if it's the kind of plastic they use, or possibly the release agent, but I've previously had problems with paint not sticking to the minis properly. You have to wash them with a bit of soap and a toothbrush, and rinse them thoroughly. 

• Upvote 1

I’ve been working through the stuff from WH Conquest issues 1-4 using just the included paints plus white. Finally got the Death Guard done, which just leaves the Pox Walkers to get to, probably done by 2022.

F46C6B6B-8A57-4929-9D05-D8ADB43C5D7D.thumb.jpeg.43cc688b21e6cc3e3c366533d8d77e51.jpeg

B2B94370-0DA2-4503-8BA0-FE2ABFCF0C0C.thumb.jpeg.b0ec65a0fc0831a55cc3698ce1ddcdb0.jpeg

A10C8E7F-1A87-4054-9F9F-F8BF043B7A71.thumb.jpeg.3d64df2b8ef841d4494454236f711353.jpeg

2F8A3963-8282-4372-ACD3-ABB50D3A4000.thumb.jpeg.ef437ab4007ee629bbb8d21581b686ab.jpeg

• Upvote 7

5 hours ago, The Bag said:

I’ve been chipping the robot 

011AD40C-4E0A-4F0C-8435-191084939578.thumb.jpeg.e77b8e648ca080568f0ac0631d57e685.jpeg

more pics on instagram

I like big rusty butts and I cannot lie 

• Upvote 1

My photos aren't showing up anymore.  Would anyone have any idea why, and how I can post them?  I'm using Google Photos at the moment, is there a better alternative?

Going way overboard with the pigments to make it all cruddy, and starting on the “face”.

DFAD6008-5B01-40E5-94F4-787A1EA86A59.thumb.jpeg.f5180d1d306c64965489b0c17a6a5874.jpeg

AF1E5C5C-62AE-4DC9-9288-AFA4521DD8DA.thumb.jpeg.b3800ebc854c8960568bc61b64cc8c4b.jpeg

8B03AADF-EE0A-48F2-9FB9-8B1AEC487AA5.thumb.jpeg.cc564abde2c4a10b4f619c02acea5824.jpeg

Need to do something about that rope thought, not happy with it.  Every time I’ve highlighted it I’ve gone back over cause I’m not happy with it.  Leaning towards doing something stupid like painting texture on it, lots of lines line my forest troll.

FCDE68B0-748F-4105-9FEB-B7E4762B3099.thumb.jpeg.d3f8238a76b2bfc8cafc7902e44e1cb7.jpeg

• Upvote 3

I've been busy with my own stuff for a little while now. Prep work for the upcoming Kickstarter for some new human figures for my little range. It's all getting there I think.

Anyway, I'm kind of spoon feeding images until I've got everything sorted out, but here's the first little chap...

human13.thumb.jpg.7aed9a32f233a162804c19ec33ed8ae4.jpg

And a painted one by me...

humansSMALLREVEALs1.thumb.jpg.62130b5f216fcb32dd5677b3c2f21ef3.jpg

Also...a decidely dodgy video of him spinning around:

• Upvote 7

These guys are certainly smaller than my 'hero' guys - which is how they should be. But I guess they're around the same size as a 'standard' Space Marine really - around 32mm I think.

sizecomp.thumb.jpg.3f139da8b2ebaa6647fa09fc56b138c2.jpg

• Upvote 7

6 hours ago, Cocky said:

The new models looks very cool @JoeK

Coincidentally I recently finished my annual Joek model painting. I tried to do something different with the nmm and it didn't work out in a few places but overall the effect is quite nice.

DSC_0042.JPG?format=800w

That’s fantastic mate :) . 

• Upvote 2

So the other night I did a quick under painting on a bust and I kinda like the look.  The sensible thing now would be to glaze over that to make use of it.  My original intent was to sponge paint the skin, lots of stippling but now I don’t know.

BED0D082-5C3B-4CFE-A0E2-680563AA2CD4.thumb.jpeg.ab4cff37dd9790abde283bf8b8946d8e.jpeg

Anyway I stuck a couple of pictures up & Roman Lappat like it.  Roman Lappat!  I can die happy now, I’ll stop fanboying out in a minute.  Silly but it put a smile on my face :omg:

930652E7-27D8-4ACF-841C-FB64C9674D6E.thumb.jpeg.5a25a376bb881918d29322edf540cc3d.jpeg

• Upvote 5