rllmuk
JoeK

The Miniatures Appreciation Thread

Despite having more than enough in the painting backlog I made an impetuous purchase last week & it turned up today.

I’m so excited, it’ll probably be next year by the time I get to it given real life but I can’t wait.  Just wish it had some instructions.

Comes in a fancy wooden box though!

69BD5BD6-6AE0-40CB-901C-8B859526CAC4.thumb.jpeg.6c982bc368648194bcde96bfdcc0d393.jpeg

D45E1E56-DACA-453C-B34E-CE0D717AAC4A.thumb.jpeg.da77c61dd92ba1169fbe2a7807fcf998.jpeg

781B18AE-7190-4872-AB9D-D349E241A09A.thumb.jpeg.b48e01067f67aa7f179dc43e769f1711.jpeg

E0C39BC8-978E-44C1-830E-DFC83AC7B188.thumb.jpeg.50ed8125ae540e24e6f0bf630df642d7.jpeg

He also sent me a couple of goblin busts too, which was nice ^_^

It’s the four horsemen of the apocalypse, you could get them individually or the collector’s edition with a big ass base.  This is what it’s meant to look like:

spacer.png

spacer.png

:omg:

• Upvote 3

Sorry to keep spamming up this thread.

Finished eyes & calling him done:

85BD3A97-9C6B-450B-AF6F-2EF96B1E8087.thumb.jpeg.e3520a3ca16643b07a5addc188f6ec58.jpeg

Now gone back to this other bust, still not happy with the fur so ignoring it and have come up with a crazy idea for the shield.  Paint it to look like wood planks.  Add some chipping fluid, then paint it a colour, maybe a simple design.  The chip it off & damage it to reveal wood below.  Fuck knows how it’s gonna turn out but I’m painting some squiggly lines.

BA977511-501C-4827-A186-0AD0F7893334.thumb.jpeg.6319adbd7227d440d28b4849b1c7f9be.jpeg

• Upvote 6

“Merry Christmas and death to the false emperor”

Been working more on this dude’s shield.

E2B06739-3836-41EC-A7F2-21CDEBED957D.thumb.jpeg.d646e5e85e49844f98a13c4d8b460567.jpeg

Lesson tonight involved painting lots of little lines, fur and threads

AED7F48A-7A44-4C3E-A708-4113FD78C9A1.thumb.jpeg.de92dc702eb786d4bdc76c14d587f74a.jpeg

01FA7B8A-456D-4218-A386-051C0B9239A5.thumb.jpeg.dc334530c4a141ebe26c26629e5a0364.jpeg

• Upvote 6

I love that color scheme.

It fits the models really well, they have a good desert aesthetic.

Does make me wonder why we don't have a dedicated Dune table-top game universe, must be a licensing thing. 

@Cocky

I forgot to say how absolutely jaw-dropping those Infinity models you posted on the last page are.  Awe-inspiring work, mate.  Can I ask what your go-to method is these days, if you have one?  Are you still using the airbrush a lot?  I know you've previously studied Angel Giraldez and Sergio Calvo's ways of doing things.  I ask partly because I feel like I don't really have one.  I've dabbled in airbrush, wet-blending, glazes, but I find myself drifting back to a sort of No Fixed Method where I'll layer paint but not thin enough to really call it blending, which is both time-consuming and not really blended properly.

That's a good question @feltmonkey and one I don't really have enough time to answer right now as I have four armies to paint before Adepticon. The short version is that I'm doing my own thing. I've come to realize that with my painting requirements (paint 10-15 solid 7's every week) a lot of the painting styles/techniques aren't really appropriate and to improve my situation to were I can actually earn a living I needed to rethink my approach.

Over the years I've been working on a kind of theory of miniature painting in an attempt to understand how it all worked. It's remarkable how little information there actually is on this subject. I guess it's not as interesting as videos about wet palette hacks (2019: Year of the Wet Palette video!) There's still a lot more to figure out, having the time to read the books is the hardest part and having a crappy brain doesn't help either. But I have sufficient knowledge now to approach miniature painting with a more painterly mentality. So rather than using this technique or that recipe I focus on how to make a model look as interesting as possible with 3-4 hours.

A lot of it comes down to confidence; I don't have that fear of messing up so common among inexperienced painters. So I can push things further without worrying that I'll make a mistake.

As a little tip I would suggest not bothering with blending as it's not really important, more like something of a relic, a specific technical skill that's not that interesting any more. No one really needs to blend other than say GW studio painters as at this scale unless you are painting box art blending is a waste of time. It's better to focus on contrast and details. In fact due to the contrast adaptation of human vision it's possible to force the appearance of blending by extending the maximum and minimum points of value. Plus, you'll enjoy your painting a lot more if you try to be more expressive.

• Upvote 6

Thanks for the answer. Good advice there, lots to think about. I have a tendency to watch and read a lot of stuff about this technique or that, learn roughly how to do it on one or two miniatures but not really stick at practicing any particular technique enough for it to become second nature. I'll jump from one technique on one mini to something completely different on the next one. I suppose having a basic knowledge of a lot of techniques is handy to an extent. 

You're right about all those wet palette videos! It seems like every youtuber got sent one of those Redgrass wet palettes and can't stop going on about it. 

Also, "solid 7 out of 10???" You make me sick. :P

Following on Cocky's advice about contrast over blending, i tried tosme quick skin on some Hordes models I'm going to use for Age of Magic using the idea of checking from a distance rather than up close.

V4oXWSn.jpg

• Upvote 2

yes @Mikes Arms Length Test!

Another thing to check for contrast is to hold a piece of white paper behind the model. This uses the same concept of contrast adaptation I mentioned earlier. I don't recommend painting with a white background though as it's very demanding and you can quickly strain your eyes trying to see the details of the model.

@feltmonkey I've noticed three more wet palette videos in the past few weeks alone, all from big hobby accounts. It's getting embarrassing. The first time I saw a wet palette on youtube was on Romain's very first beastofwar video. He spent maybe thirty seconds explaining what it is and then moved on to the painting. That was 7-8 years ago.

Also, I used to be the same way going from one technique to another. In the long term it's proved useful but in the short term I felt it held me back from developing the muscle memory to deal with the basics efficiently. When I first got into the hobby as a child I didn't have any of the resources available today and yet over a summer break got half decent just from doing the same thing over again for six weeks. As an adult it took me years to achieve similar results because I thought I knew better. My recommendation is to pick a style, doesn't matter which one, and stick to it for a period of time until it starts to get easy. Once you are knocking out models without breaking a sweat you can take things to the next level.

On 19/12/2019 at 11:21, feltmonkey said:

You're right about all those wet palette videos! It seems like every youtuber got sent one of those Redgrass wet palettes and can't stop going on about it. 

I have one of those, it's dead on and looks nice but it doesn't keep my paints workable for as long as the old tupperware box and sponge I used before. Used to be able to go back a few days later and carry on so will probably start using that again.

15 hours ago, Kzo said:

I have one of those, it's dead on and looks nice but it doesn't keep my paints workable for as long as the old tupperware box and sponge I used before. Used to be able to go back a few days later and carry on so will probably start using that again.

I like the ease of pre-cut paper but after almost a year I’m still having issues with how wet to make it - I either end up with flooded paints when I come back or dry paints.  Also I think paint dries out quicker on the palette while using than my old palette, eg my S75 white develops a skin, it’s fine inside but I don’t remember that before.

Thanks! It's not a patch on what the regulars here are knocking out though.  The tiny photo (thanks to the upload limit) is very kind to it, in reality it's quite untidy. 

I'm not doing attention modesty. I'm only just starting out and so definitely pretty pleased with it!

I'm on holiday atm, and as per usual the urge to get on ebay and find some bargains overcame me. I managed to get some models to plug gaps in my Warmahordes Cygnar and circle forces to use in SAGA: Age of Magic, and in the meantime also rekindled my interest in Warmachine.  Lovely.

• Upvote 1

Looks like it will be a good project. Where is it from? Is it a third party job?

10 minutes ago, MrEm said:

Looks like it will be a good project. Where is it from? Is it a third party job?

It was one of the early Forge World products, 2001 I believe (that’s the copyright on it anyway), when they were still doing things like statues & busts.  I wanted one when they were released but being a student couldn’t afford it & fell out the hobby shortly afterwards.  

I bought it on a whim from eBay for around £100 about 12 years ago, way before I got back into painting.  It’s sat in a box in the back of my cupboard ever since as I considered maybe commissioning someone to paint it, then when I got back into painting seriously (2.5 years ago) it’s been there as a “one day when I might be able to do it some justice”.

My "year of getting it done not getting it right" continues:

UNAJEbQ.jpg

• Upvote 7

The Hordes / age of magic project conitnues:

JNN0Nr0.jpg

I am reminded just how much I hate painting units.  Skirmish games FTW.

• Upvote 5

Do they still make those lead figures they used to in the 80’s? Everything seems to be plastic these days.

I’ve got dozens of lead orcs and dragons somewhere at my Mum and Dads house.

Generally pewter rather than lead, but yes, there are still companies making metal miniatures. Games Workshop have largely moved away from metal (they do still have the occasional old model available, but nearly everything is plastic/resin these days), but off the top of my head: Corvus Belli's Infinity miniatures are metal, a reasonable amount of Warlord games' stuff is still metal, Reaper still do some metal. And there's a good number of small producers, like Stonehaven Miniatures and Warploque Miniatures, who still produce metal models.

But yeah, there's been a gradual move towards plastics, particularly as CAD has really taken off. Modern plastic models are, generally, of a far higher quality than those of even ten years ago, though for more complex models metal or resin is still the way to go.

• Upvote 1