rllmuk
JoeK

The Miniatures Appreciation Thread

3 hours ago, womblingfree said:

Do they still make those lead figures they used to in the 80’s? Everything seems to be plastic these days.

I’ve got dozens of lead orcs and dragons somewhere at my Mum and Dads house.

As mentioned, lots of places do. GW don't, and fomr someone outside looking in it could seem that GW are the only miniature company.

When I got back into the hobby I didn't like the idea of plastic miniatures, but now as someone who plays regularly I really appreciate them. They level of detail allowed in plastic is exceeds metal, the way the miniatures can be put together allow for more dynamic poses, they don't have a tendency to chip, and they don't weigh a tone when you're trying to carry them in a bag.

Also, if you ahve classic 80s metal GW stuff, some of those scultps can be worth quite a bit. It's worth checking out the Old Hammer trading sites and ebay to see how much you could get for them.

You, er, don't have any wood elves do you?

Started working on the gnome jeweller today.  He does have an arm holding up a jewel he’s looking at.

• Upvote 6

Working at a glacial pace. Going to see if I can get this finished today and though it looks like I haven't done much since the last picture he's now blocked in (aside from the little squidgy dude which will only be a quick job).

Edit: just seen the bloody edge of the belly plate at the bottom needs doing. Ffs.

EPKFMqyWsAE1b14.jpeg

• Upvote 3

A second plagued dickhead I'm doing alongside the first guy. Some very fundamental mistakes that I'll clean up later. One thing I have learned over the course of these two is the importance of cleaning your models up.

EPN-Uz5W4AICPtC.jpeg

• Upvote 5

On 26/01/2020 at 15:50, moosegrinder said:

A second plagued dickhead I'm doing alongside the first guy. Some very fundamental mistakes that I'll clean up later. One thing I have learned over the course of these two is the importance of cleaning your models up.

EPN-Uz5W4AICPtC.jpeg

How do you paint so damn straight and clean!!

Those new nurgle models are pretty realistic. 

• Upvote 2

Slow progress is slow:

84475197_10156492389422047_7308213666795

Also I apparently like my paint schemes like I like my coffee.

• Upvote 3

Well, next week my Kickstarter's happening (and this time I might hit the damn target), so you can buy this bugger :p 

hephanthology.thumb.jpg.cd03af81dfe20e77b9dc9f6b90bd63a5.jpg

Hopefully I'll see a few in the open later on in the year - that would be marvellous :)

• Upvote 4

Great stuff as usual mate :) . Never been a fan of Wild West Exodus stuff (despite it coming from the same designs as my own stuff!), but you've definitely done 'em justice.

2 hours ago, JoeK said:

Great stuff as usual mate :) . Never been a fan of Wild West Exodus stuff (despite it coming from the same designs as my own stuff!), but you've definitely done 'em justice.

I didn't know much about them until I painted these. They are surprisingly high quality, very detailed and well made.

5 minutes ago, Cocky said:

I didn't know much about them until I painted these. They are surprisingly high quality, very detailed and well made.

Production-wise,  they're top notch for sure. 

Just to co trays Nicky's unfeasible skills here are the two plaguebois I've been working of forever. I'm now at the point where when I try to fix minutiae I just made more work for myself so I'm going to stop. I prefer the unwashed one despite it looking unfinished.

I've started another mini but this time I know where i fucked up so hopefully not won't take me nearly so long.

EQVz1VgXsAI801x.jpeg

EQVz1VWWoAAvSkt.jpeg

• Upvote 5

have you heard of pin-washing?  rather than slapping an all over acrylic wash, you could reduce the surface tension with a tiny bit of dishsoap, then carefully pin-wash the wash into the crevaces and recesses keeping your vivid colouration.  This would be a lot easier with an oil wash as it will naturally go into the recesses and with a cottonbud you could clean up the panels back to vibrancy without any effort.

• Upvote 1

I've got some oils, I meant to look a bit further into it after your last post about it. I'll look into pin washing proper as I tried it on the one that's washed but it didn't go well.

with oils you mix a wash to the same consistency as the GW ones with your turpentine / white spirit  btw incase i didnt mention that. you'll get it buddy.

18 hours ago, Nicky said:

I finally got this lad finished up enough to go out to its new home

20200208_235357.jpg

that’s fantastic!

• Upvote 1

thanks @The Bag. I'd liked to have done more work on the wings, but its one of CreatureCaster's early sculpts and the wings are really soft and average. so a case of black-white drybrushing and a little spray hjighlights with some inks over it.

Finally getting some painting done. After buying a fair few of those cheapo magazines, I thought it'd be a good idea to give them a whirl.

Behold, WIP of the Age of Sigmar Castigators...

castigatorwip3.jpg.09d4a2162e47de19c24c355a80a4a7eb.jpg

Pretty rough at the moment, but for a couple of hours work, and not having painted much for a couple of months or so I'm reasonably happy so far. 

• Upvote 6

More work on giant Abaddon, underglow agogo, all airbrush so far except the white in the gap between the neck rings.

DEA06514-443C-434E-9AED-BDD87D8BC8C5.thumb.jpeg.1c7a7c6d49ed0adcaaf32a6a63712b48.jpeg

2760C0AE-309A-4EAF-A27F-CEC49A42D6FF.thumb.jpeg.6dc95e2dd9e16afa12186cde72893495.jpeg

C8C7ADF3-4B89-42E9-8CE8-724EE554C10F.thumb.jpeg.fb985bd1630a81a24b5d7371196cd8c6.jpeg

3F0C7BB4-A298-4715-A482-B8CD4BE9444E.thumb.jpeg.62003eeb2445239b68c6610a652a665d.jpeg

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, JoeK said:

Finally getting some painting done. After buying a fair few of those cheapo magazines, I thought it'd be a good idea to give them a whirl.

Behold, WIP of the Age of Sigmar Castigators...

castigatorwip3.jpg.09d4a2162e47de19c24c355a80a4a7eb.jpg

Pretty rough at the moment, but for a couple of hours work, and not having painted much for a couple of months or so I'm reasonably happy so far. 

What are they trying to make up for with those cross bows?

@JoeK

Wow, they look great - how did you do that armour? As I’ve a bunch of these now due to the magazine. 

I’ve been plugging away at my lizard man team. 
trying to get a bit more contrast on them than how I normally paint. (Sorry for crap photo)

20E30A62-CFB3-4521-BB82-90568B0152F6.jpeg

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, And said:

@JoeK

Wow, they look great - how did you do that armour? As I’ve a bunch of these now due to the magazine. 

Bit of a contrast paint test for these stages really. Just ever decreasing shades of yellows and browns, but then starting the process of highlights via normal painting. It's pretty straightforward to get an acceptable result, but there's a fair bit left to do on them :)