rllmuk
JoeK

The Miniatures Appreciation Thread

Just when I thought I'd got out, they pull me in again...

After numerous comments about it, I've put some colour on the snake's eyes. I think it works better...

aowmontcomp-1.jpg

• Upvote 4

I took advantage of the royal wedding to actually get a few hours to sit down and do some painting.

I got this Reaper Miniatures Time Agent finished off, I'm probably going to slip her into my Imperial Guard army as an advisor or commisar.

TimeagentF.jpg

TimeagentB.jpg

• Upvote 5

I bought a box of Malifaux figures a few weeks back and have started painting them. Some were very fiddly to assemble but otherwise nicely detailed sculpts.

5681611022_9edd8c2a2f.jpg

• Upvote 2

Yeah the Malifaux range is nice but oh so fiddly in some cases. I've got myself the Colette box and some Coryphee man alive those arms are awkward buggers to stick!

You've done a good paint job on her though, one of the better ones I've seen of that model and I've seen a few now thanks to working in a model store.

I took advantage of the royal wedding to actually get a few hours to sit down and do some painting.

I got this Reaper Miniatures Time Agent finished off, I'm probably going to slip her into my Imperial Guard army as an advisor or commisar.

TimeagentF.jpg

TimeagentB.jpg

Looks like she's smuggling a Dalek :)

Yeah the Malifaux range is nice but oh so fiddly in some cases. I've got myself the Colette box and some Coryphee man alive those arms are awkward buggers to stick!

You've done a good paint job on her though, one of the better ones I've seen of that model and I've seen a few now thanks to working in a model store.

Thanks. How is Malifaux to play? I'd quite like to get into actually playing with my toy soldiers and Malifaux looks interesting.

I must confess that I've only had an intro game of Malifaux so far (which is a crime considering I'm meant to be selling the stuff) but from what I've played and watched it's a good system and certainly unique given that it uses no dice, just a deck of cards. If you can get over that first hurdle then I think you'll enjoy it.

Malifaux is fairly easy to get the hang of - it looks worse than it is. The two main sticking points are learning your triggers (actions taken based on card suits), and how and when you get and use extra/negative card flips. I'd pick up the pocket-sized version of the rules, as they've been cleaned up a fair bit since the big books were released. The club near to me has started getting into Malifaux in between Warmachine games, so there's definitely a burgeoning scene.

Finished a bunch more of my Wrath of Ashardlon minis. The sculpts on the heroes is dismal, one of them barely has a face at all. And don't get me started on those fucking Grell, they came out shit. Happy with the Orcs and the snakes though.

pic981870_lg.jpg

pic981874_lg.jpg

pic981873_lg.jpg

pic981871_lg.jpg

• Upvote 7

How can you say those look shit? They look fantastic! I'm amazed!

It's just the Grell I'm unhappy with, they probably look semi-OK in that pic, but up close... urgh.

The heroes are tricky ones, funnily enough the look better from the back, I took some time over their cloaks :D You can indulge me one more picture!

CIMG0422.JPG

• Upvote 1

Not sure if this is the place to put this, but my girlfriend's just started painting models on her own, and has run into a minor glitch, and I'm not quite sure what's caused it.

Basically: she got GW's introductory paint set (the WHFB version), and primed the plastic goblins using the Undercoat Black that comes with it. Only, when she was done (in one batch), the first three models she'd coated are a nice, matte black, but the other seven have come out gloss black. From the same paint, with the same brush. I wasn't there to watch her do it, but what would cause this? Has she simply used different levels of paint on the models and not realised it? It's not something that's ever happened to me, so I'm curious as to what caused it, not least so we can avoid it happening again: I assume (hope) it won't be an issue as it's only the primer, but when she comes to actually paint everything else we don't want the goblins coming out with glossy skin!

Well, I started the thread so surely I'm allowed to do a little pimping of my own stuff...Finally, I've managed to release a figure in 2011. Don't really know what the chances of releasing another one are at the moment, but we'll see what happens!

I present to you the Baroness:

baroness1.jpg

The photo makes her look massive, but she's possibly the smallest figure I've done - a 'proper' 28mm figure (as in 28mm to her eyes).

Buy one now. All of you.

• Upvote 3

Not sure if this is the place to put this, but my girlfriend's just started painting models on her own, and has run into a minor glitch, and I'm not quite sure what's caused it.

Basically: she got GW's introductory paint set (the WHFB version), and primed the plastic goblins using the Undercoat Black that comes with it. Only, when she was done (in one batch), the first three models she'd coated are a nice, matte black, but the other seven have come out gloss black. From the same paint, with the same brush. I wasn't there to watch her do it, but what would cause this? Has she simply used different levels of paint on the models and not realised it? It's not something that's ever happened to me, so I'm curious as to what caused it, not least so we can avoid it happening again: I assume (hope) it won't be an issue as it's only the primer, but when she comes to actually paint everything else we don't want the goblins coming out with glossy skin!

Hmm it's certainly an odd one. Of course it's not helped by the fact that GW label the pot of black paint incorrectly, as it's just the normal chaos black in a slightly different pot so as I'm sure you're aware the chaos black paint does tend to have a bit of a glossy finish, certainly far more than the black undercoat spray they do. Even with that bit of knowledge I can't think why some of her models would turn out matt and other glossy, unless maybe she didn't thin the paint as much on the latter models but I'm clutching at straws with that one.

Yeah, it's the difference between the model's that's perplexing me. If they'd all been one or the other I'd not have blinked an eyelid (And I mean, the gloss on the glossy ones is very high. Like, Black Ink high, while the other models are perfectly matte. No gradient to it or anything, just sheer matte models in a row, and then utterly glossy ones). Still, we'll see how the rest of the models come out when it's gone beyond priming.

It's not entirely clear from the announcement, but the talk of becoming unavailable in 2009 and unreleased miniatures seems to suggest that they're talking about the fucking horrible Clixfrontation range, not the beautiful metals that people actually miss.

I've spent a little while recently trying to put together the new Scaverous model from Privateer Press. I honestly think the sculptor missed his calling as a dentist as it's quite clear he loves causing pain and suffering. I'm pretty experienced when it comes to putting together models, but I honestly don't know how this can be built without heavy pinning and adding support to joints with a little greenstuff - woe betide somebody getting into tabletop gaming, starting with Warmachine and picking up the new Caster in the expansion.

PXBVo.jpg

The problem is that the arms are incredibly weighty compared to the tiny joint they have to the body, and on top of this his outrageously large Bonescythe thing really attatches seperately to both of them, so you're trying to get the two arms stuck to the body, and in the right place to stick the scythe across, as the hands are moulded onto it!

Hnnnngh.

I've managed it though, but had to stick some greenstuff on one of the shoulders to shore it up a bit - I was tired when I did it last night so I'm not particularly happy with the finish, but it's not really visible so won't look too bad when painted. But christ - this is a horrible model to work with.

edit - and the killing joke, I was just about to put the last shoulder pad on, but it turns out it ws malformed and a bit melted. Wandered over to the shop and they offered to swap it out for another one, but there were no more in stock, so I need to re-order from Privateer Press. Heh.

• Upvote 1

I bought the ordinary journyman caster, took it home without really looking at it. On one of his legs between the base and his robe was a massive chunk of metal. I had to cut it out and essentially re sculpt part of his leg. So far though thats the only one thats really caused me suffering.

This was a very, very quick paint job (couple of hours really) on one of my figures. Attending a show tomorrow and it was the only one of my releases which I hadn't had time to do (never enough time to paint these days...oh well, being made redundant in a month or so's time, so I guess there'll be a bit more free time spare :P ).

Hope you like her :)

baronesspainted.jpg

• Upvote 3

First attempt at painting a spectral character. Souls in Cryx appear to be virulent, radioactive green so I figured I'd keep this Pistol Wraith in that style - apologies for the picture being a touch blurry, but you get the idea, heh.

Fj39H.jpg

I'm probably going to try and darken down the low-tones a little to create more contrast, but then again, perhaps not - in the flesh (metal?) the model looks darker overall.

• Upvote 2