rllmuk
JoeK

The Miniatures Appreciation Thread

Good question, I've got a few GW minis about the place but what I'm really looking for to start (again) with are something cheap I can ruin practicing. After that I'll be painting for painting sake, I don't game any more.

Mantic are relatively good value for money. They do fantasty range at the moment but are expanding into sci-fi soon. Ten figures for ten quid or twenty for £17 etc.

Other option is to look for random stuff on ebay thats not from the big companies, if you're just wanting to paint stuff. Historical minis can be had pretty cheap that way.

Yeah, Mantic are a good shout. I can also recommend the Lord of the Rings plastics that Games Workshop sell: even with the price-hike they're good value, at 24 models for £20.50.

Right time for a good old moan (yeah from me!) And apologies for those that follow me on twitter/G+ you'll have heard this already!

I've finally gotten back into painting after a few months break. No real reason just couldn't get into the mood. So I finish a trio of Orc archers, and pop into the garden to spray them with varnish. Come back five minutes later and it's like I've developed cataracts. They look all misty, opaque & dusty, and and the metals have turned to grey. Aaaarrrrggghhhh!!!!! having been in this situation once before long ago, I sort of knew how to fix it. More varnish. This time applied with a brush. In the end they ended up looking OK

You'd think I would have learned my lesson but it happened again this morning. This time I used the spray indoors, as the perceived wisdom is the varnish reacts with the moisture in the air. But it still happened :angry:

What a load of shit. Anyone got anything to add on the varnish front? Advice? I'm going to switch back to good old fashioned brush on varnish. BTW I was using a can of the GW matte stuff.

tl;dr - don't use spray varnish it's fucking horseshit

Test it by spraying it on a bit of spare blister packaging and let it dry before putting it anywhere near your miniatures.

Personally I only use varnish if I need to kill the shine on something, which is very rare since I switched from inks to Citadel Washes, and then I use a brush on the bits that need it. I don't rate it for "protection" at all. Shit gets chipped either way, and a layer of varnish just makes it harder to fix.

The gloopy effect from varnish occurs with quite a few brands and normally is not something to worry about as it's part of the drying process. The first time requires balls of steel but if you leave the figures to dry for a few hours they'll look okay.

• Upvote 1

They're lovely figures. Got a few myself, but quite honestly I've never summoned up the courage to give them a lick of paint! Very nice though...

I can understand that, I've got a forge world abaddon which I got off of ebay about five years ago

Abaddon.jpg

Which is waiting until I'm good enough. Given it's been about four years since I last painted that's gonna be a few years yet...

Joe, are you still active on the oz painter forums?

Joe, are you still active on the oz painter forums?

Still go on there, but don't do much posting these days...still a good place to see some lovely stuff though. Any reason you ask?

Studio McVey have some biomechanical gribblies out this week. Not keen on this bright pink colour scheme at all, but look nice otherwise.

phase_1_cmon.jpg

phase2_cmon.jpg

phase3_cmon.jpg

phase4_cmon.jpg

Out Thursday in resin for *mumblemumble* pounds.

Personally I only use varnish if I need to kill the shine on something, which is very rare since I switched from inks to Citadel Washes, and then I use a brush on the bits that need it. I don't rate it for "protection" at all. Shit gets chipped either way, and a layer of varnish just makes it harder to fix.

I'm only using it to kill shine too. I never used to bother with varnish years ago, but recently started using it as I found it really helped "unify" the look of the finished model.

I get pretty happy with inks and do a lot of black-lining (hey it's my thing OK) so the varnish really helps the shine on those.

More varnish woes.

I'm at a total fucking loss now. Spray varnish is a disaster, brush on is about as matt as gloss. It's ridiculous

There has to be some decent matt varnish out there.

I dunno why I fucking bother painting.

Shityshityshityshityshit

I've had that happen once, and was absolutely gutted - especially as I was spraying a Warhammer unit :( Further reading revealed that Spray Varnish is highly dependent on atmospheric conditions - if its too hot/cold/humid/windy then you may get that misting. I tend to always do a test spray onto card first nowadays, and where possible just spray indoors, into a box.

It's no consolation, but you've got my sympathies.

I've had that happen once, and was absolutely gutted - especially as I was spraying a Warhammer unit :( Further reading revealed that Spray Varnish is highly dependent on atmospheric conditions - if its too hot/cold/humid/windy then you may get that misting. I tend to always do a test spray onto card first nowadays, and where possible just spray indoors, into a box.

It's no consolation, but you've got my sympathies.

Sorry I should have mentioned (and I don't want to sound a dick) but I've been thoug the loop several times on this one, and know all about the humidity factor. The spray varnish does it whatever the conditions are, every time, even indoors.

Have you tried Testors dullcoat?

Thanks I'll check it out

Oh FFS that Testors Dullcote isn't easy to get hold of is it :( as it's not officially available in the UK you're at the whim of importers and small online shops. None on eBay either.

Interestingly searching for "gw matt varnish" turns up pages & pages of people with the same problem. How the fuck do GW get away with this shit?