rllmuk
joeplus

Settlers of Catan

Agreed!

I managed to persuade a group of work folk to try out a board game night (with the whole 'there's more than just monopoly!' spiel). We played Pandemic then Settlers but it turned out one of the guys was a pretty hardcore fan of the game. In fact he would play it weekly with mates back in his home country of South Africa. He was explaining the depth behind different choices and everyone got really into it! Pandemic went down well but by the end everyone said they would've preferred to have played Settlers twice! It's a great game for bringing out the characters sat around the table :D

Careful now, what began as four blokes going out to the pub every week turned into my regular gaming group after the introduction of Settlers. We must have a couple of dozen games between us now.

We happen to like Seafarers too, so horses for courses.

We cracked open the Cities and Knights for the first time last night (4 player). I'm sure that taking on board the extra rules slowed us down, but even so I'm sure the game was considerably longer. We came out if it exhausted, but really eager to play C&K again. Obviously our initial 'strategies' had not been optimal, but it was interesting how the leader position swung. Final tally was 13/11/11/8 (I think). I can see why the extra level of complexity might not be everyone's cup of tea, but we thoroughly enjoyed.

A few thoughts - the 'city walls' only affecting hand size on rolling a 7 was surprising. The (active) Knights all defending together against the Barbarians was an interesting idea. We discussed afterwards the 'nastier' variant in the book where each player chooses how many Knights to add to the battle. That's delicious, but could lead to some backstabbing/psychological-warfare and/or much slower resolution of that stage.

Definitely on my groups 'again please' list.

I have a question for which I'm hoping the wise knowledge of rllmuk can bestow me an answer!

I am aware that Settlers of Catan has recently been updated/revised to a version known only as Catan. I have an older version of the base game (code 3061 on the box), but my question is if I buy a more recent expansion, will it be compatible with my base-game. I would ideally like to get hold of the Barbarians & Traders expansion to match the version that I have, but failing that I'll buy the more recent B&T version... IF it is 100% compatible. I think the artwork is slightly different, but hopefully this would not be too jarring? 

Has anyone here combined recent Catan expansions with older print versions of the base game?

I've recently started playing this as a friend has a copy, three games so far all of which he's won. 

In the last game I managed to get a good first placement near the centre of the board (wheat, brick and ore with one high probability and the other two not bad) and then a second with wood and lamb and a port. This gave me a pretty fair distribution of resources to collect some dev cards and build roads and two more settlements around the edge of the board providing myself with two more ports while cutting off my boyfriend 'you've stolen my land, you're walking home!'. I then used the favourable swap ratios to get hold of more wheat and ore and start to upgrade to cities, which in combination with the 2 victory points I had from the dev pile would have won me the game. I was beaten to it and came in second with 8 points but this was still my highest ranking so far and was the first time I saw the owner of the board sweat a bit.

• Upvote 2

I recently bought the game of thrones CATAN edition which brings in a pretty cool element of the wall and having to defend the wall from breaches. 

Ill share some pics.

• Upvote 1

On 07/11/2018 at 12:34, Vaguely Heroic said:

Has anyone here combined recent Catan expansions with older print versions of the base game?

You've probably already seen this, but there is an adapter kit you can purchase to give the extra pieces to make the older versions fit with the newer expansions more smoothly. I can't browse games websites from work so I can't link to it, sorry.

Bought this for xmas and the whole family is well addicted. We can't get enough of it. Having played a bit of Pandemic with some friends previously and played the kids version of Ticket to Ride with the family this is our first proper full version game. I love how there's many different ways to win and how it's possible to jump from mid table to winning reasonably quickly so you rarely feel like you're out of it (apart from extreme circumstances where I seem to find myself a bit too often). I love the social aspect of it. I love how some have set in stone strategies that they will follow NO MATTER WHAT (one of us always, always has to go for longest road, he can't help himself).

Explorers and Pirates turned up in the post today and I'm ridiculously excited.

Thanks to everyone who's contributed to the thread over the years - I just ducked in to see if there was anything on this and it's been nice reading through everyone's experiences.

• Upvote 1

What do people think of the expansions?  I am totally obsessed with Cities and Knights. I think it’s perfect. 

I haven't played much of the others and worry about ruining the simplicity. 

I can only comment on the first scenario of Explorers & Pirates which we had a quick go on last night. Much like the other expansions it introduces the new mechanics bit by bit, so I’ll add more as we go through them.

The first scenario adds harbours, boats, settlers and undiscovered islands. Dev cards and the thief are removed from the game and there are set starting points for your settlement, road and harbour - I may have missed it but there didn’t seem to be any instructions on how to do a mixed start.

It’s actually more simplified than the base game. The only way to get VPs are from settlements and harbours and 8VP is the winning line. Seeing as you begin with 3 from a harbour and settlement, the game will last a bit less than the base game in general i’d say. Oh and it also introduces gold, which you get when you don’t receive a resource. Keeps the flow of resources ticking over much more smoothly and there’s never any extreme shortages of anything.

Without the dev cards you can plainly see all the VPs out in the open so it’s rather less involved wondering what people are hoarding from the dev cards and there’s no scope for a player to suddenly launch a couple of roads and leap from 7 VPs to winning in a turn for example. The strategy comes from taking risks with the hidden islands, which tile to expose and where to settle as you risk being stranded unless you first discover other connected tiles. I would have won had I not exposed a water tile instead of a land tile, but it was a calculated risk on my part.

I really liked it, but i’m generally someone who goes more heavy on getting VPs from settlements rather than army, road or dev cards so it suits my style. It certainly won’t have the longevity of the base game, but as it's only introducing one element this is as expected. The game was close as well, we finished on 8, 7, 6 & 6.

Also, where is a reliable source for buying the expansions?

Everywhere I've seen is extortionately priced. I ended up having to get Explorers & Pirates from Ebay. Now it's turned up I suspected it may be a fake - some of the resource counters are printed off centre and the sea pieces fit poorly - but from googling it it appears this can also be a problem with the authentic copies so now I'm not so sure.

I'd like to be able to buy knowing it's a legit copy and not get ripped off, is that too much to ask?!

I no longer buy from Amazon as they use a pooling system for their inventory which means fakes can get mixed in with legit copies and you'll never know what you're going to get. Currently I buy online from Zatu, Boardgameguru, Gameslore and firestorm cards. Boardgameguru update their specials page regularly and it's worth keeping an eye on.

I use Travelling Man in Newcastle if I want to go into a real shop. The conventions are a potentially great place to buy cheaper copies. I was at Airecon this weekend and the Bring N Buy had some ridiculously cheap prices. There were also some stalls selling games at silly prices.

You should try and get to the UK Games Expo at the NEC at the end of May this year. They have a huge Bring n Buy and a lot of stalls selling all sorts of games. You may get some decent priced expansions or  find a new game you love even more. Then several hundred games later you'll realise you have a problem.

• Upvote 1

On 11/03/2019 at 14:29, charley farley said:

You've probably already seen this, but there is an adapter kit you can purchase to give the extra pieces to make the older versions fit with the newer expansions more smoothly. I can't browse games websites from work so I can't link to it, sorry.

Thanks for suggestion, I hadn't heard of adaptor kits. 

I'm keen to hunt down the Knights & Cities expansion, but it seems a real rarity for my earlier edition of Catan. 

On 12/03/2019 at 15:36, jonnyalpha said:

I no longer buy from Amazon as they use a pooling system for their inventory which means fakes can get mixed in with legit copies and you'll never know what you're going to get. Currently I buy online from Zatu, Boardgameguru, Gameslore and firestorm cards. Boardgameguru update their specials page regularly and it's worth keeping an eye on.

I use Travelling Man in Newcastle if I want to go into a real shop. The conventions are a potentially great place to buy cheaper copies. I was at Airecon this weekend and the Bring N Buy had some ridiculously cheap prices. There were also some stalls selling games at silly prices.

You should try and get to the UK Games Expo at the NEC at the end of May this year. They have a huge Bring n Buy and a lot of stalls selling all sorts of games. You may get some decent priced expansions or  find a new game you love even more. Then several hundred games later you'll realise you have a problem.

Amazon are taking steps to reduce the number of counterfeit goods sold via their marketplace to zero:

https://blog.aboutamazon.com/company-news/amazon-project-zero

Like you, I tend to use dedicated games retailers (and I'll add Chaos Cards to your list), but I do use Amazon when decent games come up at unmissable prices. I haven't yet had a counterfeit copy of anything, as far as I can tell, but reading the threads on BGG, it does appear to be a growing problem (at least in the US).

• Upvote 1

First time playing Catan on Friday. Enjoyed it well enough, good light game to sit around drinking and chatting without much brain power required. It did feel fairly random in a way that I'm not a fan of, I enjoy chucking dice in stuff like Risk or Imperial Assault where rolls can get really tense but being starved of resources with few ways to acquire them can be annoying. Will happily play again but wouldn't say it's a favourite.

Thought you guys might be interested to see my friends homemade Catan. He designed it in Illustrator and then had it laser-cut out of wood, like a jigsaw. It’s really quite lovely.

CA592AE5-1A1E-4129-95F3-F9FAD09E0EBB.jpeg

C0E77A67-D835-4C16-A039-E699D3B8AA70.jpeg

AD99510F-9877-4457-8A03-BC264E912CEC.jpeg

• Upvote 8

12 hours ago, Professor Rob said:

It does look cool, but I think it would benefit from staining the pieces with the relevant colours.

Agreed. Amazing as it looks, it needs some distinction between the different tile types.

@Professor Rob @Stejay Turns out he started experimenting with colour after our game.

E564B36A-D9F0-48BE-9D6C-1F329679CC43.jpeg

F8D48C99-FEA4-4831-978D-A9FC367AA21E.jpegThis is on a sample tile he’s done with Indian ink. A little colour bleed from the black as the red wasn’t fully dried. Going to do the other tiles gradually, I’ll post a pic when it’s done.

• Upvote 6