Formula 1 2011

myoozikk

A couple of bastards from our online league are playing this on 360 right now, but they're neglecting to post their impressions in here. :quote:

I thought it'd be fun to do a co-op race straight off, no assists, on professional. Don't do that.

The car is a slippery mofo. Maybe it was just the wheel settings, but I felt I couldn't trust it, even at high speed corners you needed to be cautious as you could lose the backend any time.

And I'm a bit puzzled to why I can only max out at 30mph in the pit lane?

Right, got some time to post while my engineers change tyres and faff about trying to get this thing to be even slightly competitive in free practice 1 at Melbourne.

I'm going to sound like bloody Jarno Trulli (who is quicker than me by miles at the moment) here but the force feedback on this has been cranked up about a thousand notches. My wrist is already getting a bit tired. :o

I've dived straight in to career mode like I did last year with HRT and it is a massive ball ache to drive, slides everywhere :) This feels way more like an F1 game to me so far though (no assists, legend AI). The car is alive, especially the back end which gets out of shape even in the supposedly long, flat easy corners at Melbourne :wacko: You really have to manage the gears and throttle input carefully.

Anyone who says this is arcadey must be on crack - turn off TCS and then let me know what you think. Cold tyres are an absolute nightmare and so far I haven't found my braking zones at all. You can absolutely hold a slide though and recover the car, which is an awesome feeling. I'm currently looking at the timing screen though trying to figure out how to make up seconds on fecking Liuzzi!

Actually for the first time, I'm really starting to question the pedals with my xbox 360 wheel. I may need an upgrade to get the best out of this - don't seem to be able to get enough progressive movement out of them so far. Fanatec could be about to have an absolutely storming few months coming up.

Graphics for me are a big improvement on last year. There is loads more going on and the piss filter from 2010 has been totally washed away. LeChuck said it felt a bit cartoony, but I think that's a by-product of being used to the look of the last game and this one being so bright and vivid in comparison. Apparently in qualifying its going to piss it down, so if I don't bin the car at the first corner I will let you know how that looks.

On a more sour note there are still lots of niggly bugs/glitches (Xbox 360 version here). For starters it seems to freeze on me every time I come out of the pit lane and again sporadically around a lap from time to time (just like the last game), and the guy at the front of my car in the garage just now (don't know his name yet, haven't even had time to be introduced) was jacking my car up even though he'd left the jacking tool next to him. Not great after such a short period of time with it.

Going to try installing it over lunch and see if that helps with those issues at all. I saw Helios mentioning a patch had been released for the PC and PS3 versions already to tidy up a few elements so I'm hoping these might be covered there...

Couple of other random thoughts:

I don't really like the way the view when using T-Cam sort of rolls left and right through the corners. Really wish they hadn't messed with it, it's making things harder for me personally.

Graphics are complimented/outdone by the superb sound. I honestly cant emphasise how good the audio is, it really adds to the F1 feel and atmosphere having these incredible engine notes and downshift crackles, trye squeals and air flow when using DRS/KERS (not that my piece of shit HRT has KERS) as well as all the ambient noises while i'm sitting in the garage. Not a cup of tea in sight though so far, cheeky gits. I guess they want me to go back out their and save some face.

Back later, if I I don't die. :ph34r:

I thought it'd be fun to do a co-op race straight off, no assists, on professional. Don't do that.

The car is a slippery mofo. Maybe it was just the wheel settings, but I felt I couldn't trust it, even at high speed corners you needed to be cautious as you could lose the backend any time.

And I'm a bit puzzled to why I can only max out at 30mph in the pit lane?

Different rule for Melbourne mate, they slowed the pitlane there this year :)

Fuck me, its starting to click after 12 laps or so. The handling is leagues above 2010. Its beginning to feel awesome now...

(DRS just failed on my sodding car though, you cant have everything I guess).

Stopped working (bug) or an in game failure - like the engine failure?

I NEED THIS GAME DAMMIT!

Going to hot foot it to a games shop i know in Fulham that used to sell games early and hope for the best.

Stopped working (bug) or an in game failure - like the engine failure?

I NEED THIS GAME DAMMIT!

Going to hot foot it to a games shop i know in Fulham that used to sell games early and hope for the best.

I got a little X over my DRS bar for half the lap, then it came back to me - car failure :)

I feel like an F1 driver in so many ways that F1 2010 couldn't make me. If only it would stop bloody freezing up :(

Marmite, the rolling effect on the t-cam is not the camera that's turning, but the body roll. Just so you know.

Yeah I know, but it was the easiest way to describe it!

Id prefer the camera to stay level, counterbalancing the car movement I guess. Anyway, I'm sure the car doesn't roll that much in real life does it? (might be wrong :unsure:) Either way, its not the end of the world. I will adapt.

This is lovely.

Its not as sim as certain other games - lets not go there - i did extensive testing with Rf mods last night but for what it sets out to do its very good. Its not arcade-like (if you switch everthing off) either.

What it does do is recreate a sport very very well IMO.

And thats just the handling. I'm sure it'll have bugs but its very enjoyable.

My impressions after yarring while waiting for the release and delivery here (FU NA).

+ Handling improved, suspension feels great.

+ DRS and KERS are fun.

- A.I. are still all twitchy idoits.

- Menus are still more pretty than they are functional.

- Singleplayer is a rather sterile experience.

Feels like an expansion pack to me, probably not worth the full retail price but all fans like me will buy it. :coffee: