IGNORED

the I hate FPS thread

Oh Danny Boy

Straight-up first-person shooters like Bulletstorm are actually a rare delight for me; even though I never counted myself as a twitch-shooting FPS player I love UT3, Quake 3 and I'll get Bulletstorm as soon as I have spare time to play it.

First-person RPG and adventure games like Half-Life, Portal, Deus Ex and System Shock 2 are also probably among my favourite games of all time.

Boring military-themed shooters where I die when I get shot twice by a hyperactive 13-year-old with a mouth like an Aberdonian oil worker? Fucking tedious and ten-a-penny. Death to them.

I hate FPSs, because there's something about them that I can't do. I'm just awful at them, always have been, and never show any sign of improvement when I play them :(

i was thinking that but i'm shite at most videogames that isn't pro evo

but i love fighters and traditional shooters and i am awful at them. Its just something about fps that doesn't suck me in. i just can't put my finger on it

I don't love them. I don't hate them either. The only one that I truly like is probably Halo, as it never feels unfair when I die. It's because I'm not good enough. But I grit my teeth, and dive back in and make damn sure I'm good enough next time round. It's hugely satisfying. The opposite is true of Call of Duty games. I never finish them, and have now given up on the series altogether.

I don't think there's enough of them to be honest! Most of them are geared toward the sci-fi slant which admittedly is a bit overused by now, but there hasn't been a decent modern-day shooter for over a year now (BFBC2=GOOD - BLACK OPS=LOL) homefront's looking a bit 50/50, so by the time BF3 hits it would have been 18 months since the last big thing.

It's no different from racing games, driving a car round a track is about as original as waking up in the morning but it doesn't make it any less exciting when it's done well.

I've never been interested in them and the over saturation of the genre this generation has totally put me off the current crop of consoles.

Madness. There's PLENTY to tickle your piston this generation that isn't an FPS.

What gets me though is I love FPS yet there's literally only been two or three of them which do first person melee, one of my favourite types of first person gameplay. There's so much more which can be done with the first person view point yet whenever developers try they never sell :(

I love good single player FPS' - the most recent I played being Goldeneye 007 on the Wii. Was ace.

I couldn't give a flying fuck about online multiplayer. I think this development is largely eroding the awesomeness from the genre.

I love good single player FPS' - the most recent I played being Goldeneye 007 on the Wii. Was ace.

I couldn't give a flying fuck about online multiplayer. I think this development is largely eroding the awesomeness from the genre.

I think it's sad that developers are practically required to include multiplayer to sell a game to the public (thankfully Deus Ex: Human Revolution seems to have skipped that one). Saying that the practise nowaways is toward having seperate teams work on the SP and MP modes, which means you're not really making one mode while worrying about what it'll do to the other.

+100000000

I used to love the shit out of online mp when i first came across it in Quake. It felt incredible running around blasting my friends in the face with nail guns etc, but now its 13 years later, and im honest to god so bored of online mp that ive only played KZ3 for 5 minutes online, and i just today uninstalled team fortress 2 to save disk space. Its all just so, so similar nowadays. Id take a single player FPS with a good storyline over any multiplayer shooter anyday of the week. All my favourite FPSes of late have been sp ones (even tho some of these have m i dont touch it), Bioshock, Prey, The Darkness, Wolfenstein, Bulletstorm, Stalker, etc

"I don't like [insert genre here] so I hope they all die a horrible death so that all those people who do like them can't play them anymore."

I will never understand this kind of mentality. You don't like a particular genre? Then don't play it. I'm not a fan of racing simulations but I can't see myself making a thread to whine about it.

I think I'm another who's had my fill and I agree that on-line multiplayer is thing that is killing fps's more than anything for me. I don't have much time to play games so I want a really good single player game with a really good and clever story line to get stuck into. Firstly the story line is not the strongest point of most fps's around and secondly they all seem to think that a 8 or 9 hour single player campaign plus a shed load of on-line multiplayer is all thats wanted. The last fps that I played and really loved was systemshock 2 and the whole genre has gone downhill for me since then.

Good news if the next Deus Ex has dumped on-line multiplayer mind and it could be a tide turner for me if so :)

The problem with FPS, for me was huge amount of FPS being samey. I.e. scripted, very linear, and you'd hardly want to re-play through them anytime as soon as you've finished them which is worse by the fact most of FPS games nowdays are short. I love classic FPS, and some modern FPS such as (wonderful)The Darkness, Painkiller & Prey, it's shame to see most of FPS on offer are focused on Multiplayer so much, and when I do dabble in multiplayer from time to time - it's not main reason that I buy games. It's all about the singleplayer content, and for that I'm thankful that it seems to be changed this year, due to Bulletstorm* out now & Duke Nukem Forever coming out and I hope they bring in more of these FPS.

Really, I'd want open-ended FPS where you can interact with world, maybe filled with some easter eggs hidden away, and have areas that's considered secret to give players reason to explore, rather than get to Y after Z by going through bunch of respawning enemies...

*I haven't played now, but it looks so good and I plan to get it as soon as it falls to £25 or under. I really fancy good FPS. Fed up of CoD-clones to be honest.

I don't play FPSesesesesssss's for the primary reason that they all give me really bad motion sickness. I also don't do online gaming, so feel like I'd be missing 60% of the game. So I haven't played one since... probably Doom II.

The thing that does annoy me about them, though, is that it seems like 75% of the game released on PC are FPS. There just seems to be a bit of a lack of imagination going on...

"I don't like [insert genre here] so I hope they all die a horrible death so that all those people who do like them can't play them anymore."

I will never understand this kind of mentality. You don't like a particular genre? Then don't play it. I'm not a fan of racing simulations but I can't see myself making a thread to whine about it.

^This.

Fail thread is fail.

The problem with FPS, for me was huge amount of FPS being samey. I.e. scripted, very linear, and you'd hardly want to re-play through them anytime as soon as you've finished them which is worse by the fact most of FPS games nowdays are short.

And the industry wonders why it has such a pre-owned problem!