IGNORED

why is the retro forum so dead?

Oh Danny Boy

But the bit you bolded isn't wrong...

and it is fine on a CRT TV. Cheap maybe, but sometimes it's a £200 hit some can't afford. Don't be an insensitive prick.

It's not about the cost, it's the reality. Well sorry he can't afford an upgrade but to use that as a reason to dismiss the quality upgrade is not relevant.

But the bit you bolded isn't wrong...

and it is fine on a CRT TV. Cheap maybe, but sometimes it's a £200 hit some can't afford. Don't be an insensitive prick.

I can't afford a 360 or a new TV atm :P but i played a 360 on a crt before and it looked dreadful. like playing a Wii on an hdtv it just looked to fuzzy/blurry to be comfortably playing. Especially as this is supposed to be new tech it is very hard to ignore and forgive

To be fair i'm not very interested in the 360 or ps3. Modern gaming lacks a lot of the creativity that got me playing in the first place; Nights, Burning Rangers, Katamari, Jet Set Radio, Shenmue etc etc. Its the sacrifice that has been made for better graphics. Bigger budgets = less risk, so nearly every big game seems to be a western FPS these days as they sell. Its not that i'm complaining as such, modern games just don't cater for me anymore. I had high hopes that the Wii would be the home to more creativity but third parties have sorely disappointed on that.

Simply not true, a lot of games that have been banked on to shift copies have failed miserably to match the goals and funding of the publisher. Enslaved was called a failure by it's publisher for "only" selling 500,000 copies

i meant less risk taking creativity -wise

It's not about the cost, it's the reality. Well sorry he can't afford an upgrade but to use that as a reason to dismiss the quality upgrade is not relevant.

I'm not saying it's not a massive difference, but it is game relative.

I played through GTAIV mostly on a CRT. When I moved back to my HDTV for the final 3rd of the game, I noticed the difference, but it didn't really detract from the quality of the visuals.

Something like Crysis, Heavy Rain, Metal Gear 4, or even Gears of War would be a different story, but for the sort of creative, fun games that tend to be less visually demanding, a CRT TV would do fine.

and Danny Boy, you say you avoid the new gen for lack of creativity, and while this may be true for the retail games, live Live Arcade/PSN is packed full of retro style creativity, in full, good game format.

For sure, Retro games look great on a CRT as long as there is an original output option. Something the SNK games failed to do.

Indeed, but I also mean modern game relative, something like GTAIV or Saints Row, to something like Blazblue or even SFIV don't have intricate graphical detail, more that the worlds are expansive, increased scale etc. These games (bar silly text issues) still look impressive on a CRT TV, even if they are not High Def.

Just my opinion, anyhows.

I had my 360 and PS3 hooked up to a CRT for the first few months I had them because I couldn't afford the HDTV I wanted at the time. It's playable but my God, when I got my telly it was like playing a brand new game. For example, in MGS 4 after I got an HD set I realised that what I thought were effects at the bottom of the screen were actually messages telling me what I'd picked up. :facepalm:

To be fair i'm not very interested in the 360 or ps3.

Modern gaming lacks a lot of the creativity that got me playing in the first place;

Nights, Burning Rangers, Katamari, Jet Set Radio, Shenmue etc etc. Its the sacrifice that has been made for better graphics.

Interesting to see what we are talking about here. Your retro gaming examples consist of 1/2 from the previous generation, and half from the gen before that.

I'm pretty sure that your argument can be applied to any generation though.#

I mean take the '32/64bit' era. For every Nights, Burning Rangers there was 20x Fifa, Colin Macrae Rally, Crash Bandicoot

Then into the 128s, Katamari, Jet Set Radio, Shenmue were on shelves next to endless Call Of Duty, Medal Of Honour, more Fifas, Spiros and TOCAs than you can shake a stick at.

..and the modern era, despite it having both a continuation of the Katamari series (actually, 2? - isn't there an XBLA one?) and Nights (yeah ok...)

You also have proper retro delights like Super Meat Boy and Bittrip Runner, unique / imaginitive titles like Heavy Rain, Mirrors Edge as well as retro-esque Yakuza, Zelda titles, Pacman CE + other Namco reimaginations, the whole neon 2D shooter thing, and modern day cleverness like Fable 3 that hark back to games of old in some ways...

Basically, my point is that you can only compare eras in the way you compare consoles.

You take the games available (more importantly the exclusives in console terms) and see what you'd like to pick out.

I skipped the Saturn, the Dreamcast mostly, and the ps3.

Having gone back to look at them, the good games are expensive, or rare, or both, the regular genre games (FPS, racing etc) have been bettered or replaced, or

are import only and there we are back to expensive.

The argument that current gaming is expensive holds little weight when you want to play some of the better Saturn shooters and aren't content with Cave titles coming to 360 or live arcade alternative etc.

Back on topic though, imo the Retro forum is dead because:

1. New hardware (3DS) is appearing - usually the spring drought in big game releases pushes people back to older stuff, but not this year.

2. Like it or not, there are probably more good games available now that there has ever been, and long games are generally longer!

3. People have talked to death about old stuff.

Chris

For example, in MGS 4 after I got an HD set I realised that what I thought were effects at the bottom of the screen were actually messages telling me what I'd picked up. :facepalm:

When the 360 launched, I had already bought my first HDTV (for the 360...)

Playing some online PGR 3, I was saying to my friend that my controller batteries were down to 2 bars already to which he replied "bars?!"

and thus, HDTV vs. SDTV ;)

I almost solely played COD2 on 360 in SD though, no issues. You can see though, that as new titles have been released, text is getting smaller and developers are concentrating more on HD, and maybe not even considering SD

Chris

Just back to the original point of the thread for a minute, if I may be so bold...

When I first came to Rllmuk I frequented the Retro section. Now though I rarely visit, as I find my main motivation for retro-gaming content is heavily nostalgia-based, and always brings with it powerfully-emotive memories, with twinges of sadness of innocent times, which I find is fairly unhealthy for me, bizarrely, so I tend to stay away these days.

I do wonder about the shelf-lives of the various entirely retro-focussed forums though.

I revisited one recently that I used to browse years ago, I found a couple of PMs there I'd received in 2002! That'll be a decade ago before we know it, and there still seems to be largely the same core bunch of people there.

Younger folk coming into gaming now just don't have the same connection to the old hardware and games that we do, it'll only be a relatively tiny select few that actively seek these gaming experiences now over their modern counterparts, so as forums lose members naturally through attrition, I can't see enough new people coming through to replace them. Maybe I'm wrong on that though.

As said, there's only a certain number of things you can talk about before it all gets a bit stale.On the AdventureGamers forum I used to occasionally lurk around a loooong time ago, I see the exact same threads appearing again and again.

Anyway, there you go.

Just back to the original point of the thread for a minute, if I may be so bold...

When I first came to Rllmuk I frequented the Retro section. Now though I rarely visit, as I find my main motivation for retro-gaming content is heavily nostalgia-based, and always brings with it powerfully-emotive memories, with twinges of sadness of innocent times, which I find is fairly unhealthy for me, bizarrely, so I tend to stay away these days.

Funnily enough nostalgia used to be viewed as a mental illness so it's understandable.

Retro does change over the years. I remember a lot of huffing and puffing in the mid 90's when some people wanted to talk about the NES from a retro perspective. Now the PSOne and Saturn are fodder for Retro Gamer!

This is my favourite part of the forum...I don't have enough time to keep totally up to date now and it's interesting how few games actually age gracefully. Don't believe me? Spend a week playing around with MAME. It's very easy to remember the classics. We tend to forget the dross we had to dig through to find them!

I agree with Lorf. I find this place one of my most regular haunts these days. I am trying to post a bit more but I think in general there is less to get 'hyped' up about. Just more dignified, sedated discussion.

Most people are going to come here for the modern games discussion. It only seems dead because GD and OT are so busy!

• 4 weeks later...

The only other forum I tend to frequent for retro discussion is the Retro Gamer forum, though there isn't a great deal of retro talk on there either to be fair. Where is a good forum for general retro discussion these days (that isn't mainly focussed on the consoles)?

I also think christaylor has a good point, in that the age of 'current' retro gamers has increased to the point that a lot of games discussed do get raised in Discussion (various Dreamcast/PS2 titles are usually in there).

It's a tricky one, really. To a degree many people aren't going to talk about obscure games that they aren't familiar with unless the thread takes the form of collectively sharing a playthrough (like Davros' threads for example), and most of the classics will have been talked about many times before.

The other thing is that I just don't think that are that many regulars to this sub-forum.

Well, it's not like we've got anything new to talk about here.

That's true. Retro lives in a world free of updates - which can sometimes add new content, and improve the experience; samey consoles - because the Genesis and SNES didn't have a near-identical range of games, yo; FPS games - because 3D takes too much thought; and HDTVs - who the fuck needs something nicer on their eyes, anyway? I loved videogames because they plucked me from reality and dropped me into a world where fat italian plumbers eat mushrooms and rescue princesses, and pretend all the games were like this - and not, as it were, full of generic 'mascot' games, an endless sea of platform-based mediocrity, and me-too fighting titles. I don't want dark worlds, real life places and physics - I can get that when i walk out of the front door in Gateshead - where I often slay gigantic, 50ft colossi; where I can walk through what looks like an area of New York, recently obliterated by aliens; and where I can play something better than World of Goo by ejaculating onto a piece of string, and attempting to fling it into the mouth of a dead cat. I want another place - full of limitations - and thats why I love retro!