Collection Conundrums

CandyBob

I've been doing the same sort of soul searching recently about my collection of games.

Right now I can see around 25 consoles sitting on top of two bookcases, and those bookcases are then filled with 100s of games. It's all stuff and people don't need stuff. But it's my stuff.

I used to be a hoarder of many things, not just games, so clearly it's in my blood. I have managed to clear through a lot of things though, but not my games. And I think it comes down to nostalgia overall. I can look at a game box and all the memories come flooding back, not just of the games, it's the memories of that time in my life, the friends I played those games with, the little map I had of Hyrule plastered to my bedroom wall so I wouldn't get lost. All those things make me feel happy and calm. It's a great feeling, but it is just stuff.

I started collecting older games about 10 years ago, so there're quite a few consoles and games that are in my collection that don't actually come from my past. I suppose it's those that I could get rid of if I were strong enough. I was a Nintendo kid, so the small collection of Mega Drive and Master System games could go. Plus it's only from my childhood days that games bring back strong memories, anything from adult times doesn't really feel the same and for me that's pretty much the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox era onwards.

I haven't added to my retro collection in years though, it's just sitting there with the current gen topping it up as I continue to question whether I should really go for it and build a solid NES/SNES/N64 collection, or maybe start to sell it off.

Of all the other things I have thrown out I've never had regrets, but I fear I would with my games. Surely I can just grow old, retire, and on those days where I don't feel like visiting the grandkids, just sit back and ride a koopa shell around the first level of Mario 64?

Theres a few games i really want to get rid of, mainly xbox and ps2 stuff but they are practically worthless. Even for £2 people just can't be bothered to spend the time clicking buy on ebay for them, thats how low their value is. It feels a shame to throw them away as they are enjoyable games, just games i don't think i'll ever play again.

Theres a few games i really want to get rid of, mainly xbox and ps2 stuff but they are practically worthless. Even for £2 people just can't be bothered to spend the time clicking buy on ebay for them, thats how low their value is. It feels a shame to throw them away as they are enjoyable games, just games i don't think i'll ever play again.

In a similar situation here. I have several PS2 games I'd like to get rid of but you can't give the damn things away. It seems everyone on the planet already has a copy of MGS2.

The original Xbox collection is the one I've managed to keep tidy. I only have games I want to keep, no more than 10-15 at the moment, but it won't grow much more. Wish I'd been that picky with my PS2 stuff but it was the first console I had after a break of a few years and I went bonkers.

• 3 weeks later...

Well isn't this a serious ass, thought provoking thread.

My life has dramatically changed over the past 12 months and i've found myself pondering some similar stuff. In a few weeks i'll be moving into a houseshare with some old mates, which will be great but i doubt they'll be prepared with the amount of books, music and vintage game stuff i'll be bringing along with me.

In the past i've given stuff away and sold the odd valuable thing only to heavily regret it a few years later. The dumbest thing I did was donate my original Master System and collection to a young cousin, who proceeded to sell, mistreat and mislay most of it -including all my sega cards and US carts. After that debacle I vowed never to get rid of a single loved game item unless it was clearly shovelware that even the tintiest nostalgia specs couldn't save.

I've come to the realisation that i'm far from ready to be able not to have things I sporadically get pleasure from at hand, though I maintain i'm not a collector but a lover.

Having written all of that i must be the one of the only young men in the developed world who plans on taking boxes of audio and video tapes to his new house..

I made a rule not to buy any more retro systems a few years ago.

It's working quite well so far, in stopping my collection growing out of control too quickly.

I've thought about getting rid of some of systems with fewer games, but then as they are only small collections they aren't taking up much room, and aren't worth a huge amount.

I might trim down my Megadrive and PS1 stuff, after the booting season is over.

If I have a good enough reason to sell, I would, but right now I'm not feeling like the games are a burden.

Nope, after all the hard work I will be keeping the NES site running but letting the collecting side of things fall away when it comes to doing reviews I'll be using emulators. I already do for screenshots and gameplay footage so it's not that big a jump will most likely pick up a NES USB pad to make the experience more real. I did recently pick up 5 rare issues of Club Nintendo (which cost me £40 in total!) which have all been scanned and to be added as weekly updates sometime soon, however these will be going back on eBay soon as well.

I rarely play games these days, just keep amassing piles of it and got to thinking I could be doing so much more with my life. Last year I spent 2 weeks in Japan and had the time of my life, I want more holidays some travel etc. I'm 31 now and I keep thinking life is passing me by! So the plan is to sell everything I can and use the cash to pay off some debts then do something different. My next big purchase will be the 3DS but even then I don't envision keeping it for long.

I've seen this happen quite a few times to hard core collectors, ie people who collect games rather than play them.

When i hear people say they're going for a full collection it worries me as it most likely lead's to a scenario like you've described.

I always used to wonder why people would buy games that they'll never play and the truth seems to be they enjoy collecting more than the games themselves.

Its the only reason i can conclude as 80% plus of games on most platforms aren't worth owning.

For what its worth i think you're wrong to sell of everything you own, you should keep the games you enjoy and sell what remains.

After all how does owning a collection of games have anything to do with going on holidays, traveling etc

You're still going to be the same person with or without your collection, don't you think?

I realised I could pick up all the xbox games I'd missed out on at the car boots a couple of years ago, adding to my original meager collection of about 8 titles.

161 ish titles later and I'm still going. Don't know what to do with them but I'd hate to part with them now

post-6729-031331600 1303296514_thumb.jpg

I realised I could pick up all the xbox games I'd missed out on at the car boots a couple of years ago, adding to my original meager collection of about 8 titles.

161 ish titles later and I'm still going. Don't know what to do with them but I'd hate to part with them now

Well they don't look like they'll take up a lot of room, leave at hand the titles you plan to play and attic the rest.

For all the money you'll get its probably not worth the effort of selling them.

Is that the only big collection you have? I realised recently that my xbox collection is easily my least treasured despite being the console that I played the most of that gen. I think it was because I actually played very few games on it a lot (PGR2, halos, rallisport) rather than a lot of games through the story once as I did with the cube and less so the PS2.

Is that the only big collection you have? I realised recently that my xbox collection is easily my least treasured despite being the console that I played the most of that gen. I think it was because I actually played very few games on it a lot (PGR2, halos, rallisport) rather than a lot of games through the story once as I did with the cube and less so the PS2.

Aye it is. I used to have a large amount of games and systems but thinned them out a few years back. This is largest I've had for a single system. The closest one down was my PAL DC one of above 45 games. Its the opposite for me xbox wise. The PS2 largely passed me by strangely as I loved my xbox (I had mine on launch day). The cube barely registered on my radar, but there again no nintendo console since the NES has for me. I jumped from that to the MD, then PS1, flirted with the saturn briefly, DC, Xbox, PS2 on and off, Xbox 360 and finally PS3 as my current and largest collection outside of the xbox.

With my xbox collection I'm surprised really at just how many damn good exclusives (Sega, rare etc) or superior versions of multiplatform games it has

Aye it is. I used to have a large amount of games and systems but thinned them out a few years back. This is largest I've had for a single system. The closest one down was my PAL DC one of above 45 games. Its the opposite for me xbox wise. The PS2 largely passed me by strangely as I loved my xbox (I had mine on launch day). The cube barely registered on my radar, but there again no nintendo console since the NES has for me. I jumped from that to the MD, then PS1, flirted with the saturn briefly, DC, Xbox, PS2 on and off, Xbox 360 and finally PS3 as my current and largest collection outside of the xbox.

With my xbox collection I'm surprised really at just how many damn good exclusives (Sega, rare etc) or superior versions of multiplatform games it has

That's why I have so many too but I can't actually see myself going back to many of them.

That's why I have so many too but I can't actually see myself going back to many of them.

Neither do I at times but I think its more than that really for me. I'm quite happy just collecting them, even just the sight of all those games makes me smile. One of these days I'll sit down and breakout a stack to play through.

Certainly the hassle of selling them individually outweighs their value but as a joblot someone may give me a fair sum in the future. I've been pretty picky with what I pick up avoiding sports franchises outside of the exclusives (The XSN Titles are still good) and the downright shit.

I gave up collecting dreamcast games.

The broken hinges did my head in.

It's an interesting point in the whole collecting thing, if you are just collecting to play the games then it's not a problem, but if you want a lovely pristine collection with your stuff all minty and complete, then DC cases are awful. But then again take a look at ebay and look at the ratio to cart only games to boxed complete games for systems like the SNES and N64. Sega fares a little better by the master system and megadrive having friendlier plastic cases that people generally keep hold of.

Is any one obsessed enough only to collect their games in "perfect" condition ?

Is any one obsessed enough only to collect their games in "perfect" condition ?

Fuck me yes they are. There are loads of people who ONLY buy a game if its mint and complete. Parts of my collection are complete and some are not. For example...

Megadrive & Mega CD - Complete only - Cases preferably crack free.

Nes - Complete only - Must be in reasonable condition. Not all mush up.

N64 - Cart only

GBA - Cart only

PC Engine - Complete and near to mint as possible.

The PC engine is the only one I am really fussy about for some reason. I think its because MOST PC engine games you buy tend to be in very good condition because its quite a niche collectable system and the Hucards are so beautifully made and printed.

Most of my games are bought to play but I know I would have to retire tomorrow to get through even half of them in my lifetime.

I try to get them in as good a condition as possible, but I'm not overly bothered if they aren't. I do refuse to get games where it is cassette only or the box is in really shit condition. I made a pact with myself to only collect ZX Spectrum stuff and I've stuck with that. I eventually got a boxed Spectrum +2 which now means I have all variations of Spectrum nicely boxed. At the last count (yesterday) but with more to catalogue, I have 800 ZX Spectrum titles. Oh, and various other bits of hardware, such as my absolutely mint (and this is mint) boxed Interface 1 and 2 Microdrives, and lots more. I sometimes think about just selling it and getting a fair amount of money, but that's when I take a break from collecting and hide my collection away so I have absolutely no dealings with it what-so-ever.