IGNORED

Increased Prices of Retro Goodness

whopper101

Right, heres the anger venting topic.....

Why does some-one at a car boot sale expect £25 for an unboxed Original Nintendo Gameboy? The protocol at a car boot sale dictates that most buyers like me want things for loose change and , when a seller asks way over the odds for something I just say ill think about it now and walk off. I used to try and knock the price down, but it just infuriates the sellers now envoking the standard response, "Youd get double that on eBay". You wouldnt. Until about 1 year ago you would have picked up great bargains at boot sales, Gumtree, Charity Shops and Cash Generic/Genetators (and they stink to high hell, have to hold your nose when you walk in, obligitary queue at the back of cash checkers dressed in trackies and hoodys and one guy selling an ALBA all in one stereo system for £6, original RRP £279). Now theyve disappeared dramatically. Theyre still there but aint bargains.

Anyway, the Gameboy remained on the stall with its £25 RRP hahaha and I walked off. Poor little whiteish plasticy device, with its 2 red dimples and oxidised backside will remain unloved again. I should report the seller to welfare and have the thing removed from their custody.

Oh yeah, PS2 games - £4-£6 each too, last year £1-£2.

I remember the over inflated retro prices happening about 8-5 years ago, coinciding with consumer apathy with the xbox, GC, and PS2, the rise of ebay and EDGE's retro features. At the time i had a neat UK saturn collection just from cheap second hand bins from gamestation and other videogames stores but then all of a sudden the prices sky rocketed and no longer was it possible to pick up the likes of Guardian heroes or Saturn Bomberman for pocket change. Those looking in just saw retro = R@RE and there was daft prices on even anything that was considered retro. I thought that had all died out now but if the 'british heart foundation' shop i walked into recently is anything to go by (unboxed master system £75 and unboxed tatty PS1 £20) then things haven't :(

I remember the over inflated retro prices happening about 8-5 years ago, coinciding with consumer apathy with the xbox, GC, and PS2, the rise of ebay and EDGE's retro features. At the time i had a neat UK saturn collection just from cheap second hand bins from gamestation and other videogames stores but then all of a sudden the prices sky rocketed and no longer was it possible to pick up the likes of Guardian heroes or Saturn Bomberman for pocket change. Those looking in just saw retro = R@RE and there was daft prices on even anything that was considered retro. I thought that had all died out now but if the 'british heart foundation' shop i walked into recently is anything to go by (unboxed master system £75 and unboxed tatty PS1 £20) then things haven't :(

Thats what Im talking about, you tell them it aint worth £75 and they bite your head off

This has always happened at boots since Ebay got popular, Old videogames are seen by some sellers to be very valuable just because of a few items that are. They don't have the understanding and as I'm sure many people ask how much they want for that old console it makes them think it's actually valuable not realizing that people only want to pay a few quid for them, especially the resellers.

When I first started booting 15 years ago there was so much stuff for cheap I'd be turning stuff down. Since Ebay, gaming items were snapped up quickly.

The bargains are still out there, I only went to one boot last year arrived after 11am and managed to get

a PC Engine LT for five quid that's worth around 400 quid to collectors

:ph34r: It's down to luck and arriving early.

I've seen the same trend so far this year. Games are more expensive generally than last year. The current going rate seems to be £10 for PS3 and 360 games and £3-4 for last gen. DS £5-£10, PSP £5 etc.

I was walking around the boot thinking about the logic but I believe it is because times are hard, people want to actually make money off stuff now rather than just get rid. It isn't just the ebay effect. If people actually looked properly on ebay then they would realise what their stuff is actually worth and cry. They are looking at that pile of PS2 games and thinking, "there's £50 there" rather than "there's a pile of junk there taking up space".

I think the recession has changed people's perspective on what value is worth worrying about. £1 - £2 less than optimum wasn't such a big issue 2, 3 or 4 years ago. Now, every penny is critical.

I think people are just looking at the BIN prices on ebay and basing their prices on this rather than actual end auction price.

I really don't think people can be arsed. I know this is our passion but surely we aren't blinkered enough to believe that everyone else values our hobby enough to bother to look up all 10 PS2 games they have to sell the night before they go to the car boot. Along with all the cds, dvds and books they haven't got time or effort to bother. That doesn't stop them putting an imaginary value on a product that they believe should be worth X. This perceived value can be built up through a variety of ways including mythical ebay prices but I don't believe many people who sell at car boots even look for specific prices.

Thats what Im talking about, you tell them it aint worth £75 and they bite your head off

when i started buying uk retro stuff when i was 16 (due to lack of money and nostalgia) everything was cheap. I miss the days where gamestation had baskets full of cheap second hand saturn games which were all marked half price. I think i picked up all the classics from there over the course of a year and nothing for more than a tenner and most for less than a fiver

I think booters at this time of the year will charge more money, they must be in real need of the cash to be out there now.

Wait until the easter hols when mums will be on at kids/teenagers to clear all the junk out of their rooms, then in the summer when students are off to/back from Uni and have crap to clear.

Every year I have to remind myself that the best boot sale bargains come during the easter and summer school holidays, when there's been nice weather all week and the weekend is forecast to be dry and sunny, then you get booters who just want rid of their stuff.

It's mostly skint booters selling in early spring which is why we're seeing high prices for tat right now.

Every year I have to remind myself that the best boot sale bargains come during the easter and summer school holidays, when there's been nice weather all week and the weekend is forecast to be dry and sunny, then you get booters who just want rid of their stuff.

It's mostly skint booters selling in early spring which is why we're seeing high prices for tat right now.

When we have these two double bank holiday coming up if the weathers decent, we should have some great boots ! (I hope)

People who sell at car boots can also sell their product on ebay. If they've done their homework they'll know what the true price of the product that the are selling. On ebay/gumtree or whatever forum you decide to sell via you have access to thousands of buyers and can get a more competitive price.

If someone is selling a mint gameboy still in box with a few unopened games at a car boot sale it's unlikely a gameboy collector is going to attend the car boot sale and see it. If the seller places is it on ebay it's most likely a gameboy collector will see it and then a sale at a high price is more likely. So why shouldn't the car boot seller try to sell it at his ebay price at his car boot sale? If he does not sell it at the car boot sale he can sell it tomorrow on ebay very easily.

Of course they'll be less bargins out there now because it's easier to sell thanks to the internet. 10 years ago ebay was just getting started and people relyed on customers visiting their car boot which meant having a small audience. The flip side of this is however, is it's easier to find somethig that you want. If you can't find a game you're looking for at car boot sales you can now go on ebay and choose from probably 5 or 10 copies people are selling.

I think ebay is absoultely fantastic even if it's the reason people are going to ask for a higher price.

People who sell at car boots can also sell their product on ebay. If they've done their homework they'll know what the true price of the product that the are selling. On ebay/gumtree or whatever forum you decide to sell via you have access to thousands of buyers and can get a more competitive price.

If someone is selling a mint gameboy still in box with a few unopened games at a car boot sale it's unlikely a gameboy collector is going to attend the car boot sale and see it. If the seller places is it on ebay it's most likely a gameboy collector will see it and then a sale at a high price is more likely. So why shouldn't the car boot seller try to sell it at his ebay price at his car boot sale? If he does not sell it at the car boot sale he can sell it tomorrow on ebay very easily.

Of course they'll be less bargins out there now because it's easier to sell thanks to the internet. 10 years ago ebay was just getting started and people relyed on customers visiting their car boot which meant having a small audience. The flip side of this is however, is it's easier to find somethig that you want. If you can't find a game you're looking for at car boot sales you can now go on ebay and choose from probably 5 or 10 copies people are selling.

I think ebay is absoultely fantastic even if it's the reason people are going to ask for a higher price.

I think that this perception is the main issue. I have no problem with someone getting top dollar for their stuff but there is this perception that sell on ebay is easy, quick and cheap. None of which are true. Listing an item well can be moderately time consuming even for an expert, for a novice it can be hugely time consuming. Then there are the chances of it selling which aren't that good. Have a look at a typical completed items list now and you will see easily 50% + of things not selling. Then there are the fees incurred through ebay and paypal. That's not talking about non-payers, overseas buyers, postage hassel, returns etc, etc.

If the maximum potential selling price for an item on ebay is £20 then I think, with all this taken in to consideration, the highest price at a car boot, cash in hand, no returns, sold as seen, should be £10 and in reality £5-7.

The people that quote ebay prices have never used ebay to sell in their life. They can't have done or they wouldn't make such stupid claims.

I think that this perception is the main issue. I have no problem with someone getting top dollar for their stuff but there is this perception that sell on ebay is easy, quick and cheap. None of which are true. Listing an item well can be moderately time consuming even for an expert, for a novice it can be hugely time consuming. Then there are the chances of it selling which aren't that good. Have a look at a typical completed items list now and you will see easily 50% + of things not selling. Then there are the fees incurred through ebay and paypal. That's not talking about non-payers, overseas buyers, postage hassel, returns etc, etc.

If the maximum potential selling price for an item on ebay is £20 then I think, with all this taken in to consideration, the highest price at a car boot, cash in hand, no returns, sold as seen, should be £10 and in reality £5-7.

The people that quote ebay prices have never used ebay to sell in their life. They can't have done or they wouldn't make such stupid claims.

I'm gonna disagree with you pal. I'd consider myself a expert when it comes to listing on ebay, I can get something listed in a few minutes. I find it very easy and posting it is no big deal either. I just print off my pre-paid postage online and then put it in the post or take it down the post office whilst i run errands in town.

The fees are annoying generally 10% on ebay + 2.5% paypal + 0.20p but i consider them fair game as it gets me a sale.

As for items that don't sell. I click relist and it's done in 15 seconds.

As for the non-payers well yes that's annoying but again I just wait a few days, open a case if they don't sell after a few messages, then relist if they don't sell.

I don't need money straight away.

I wouldn't sell something at a car boot for any less than I can make (minus the fees) on ebay. But I would expect an amature to sell for less at a car boot. by amature i mean someone who is "noob" on the computer and cannot deal with ebay and administration.

But it totally hear your point of view and understand where you're coming from!

If someone quotes you a price at a carboot and says it's the same as ebay, why not get out your iphone, do a quick ebay search and show them they're over pricing by showing cheaper ones you can buy on ebay....

:D

I'm gonna disagree with you pal. I'd consider myself a expert when it comes to listing on ebay, I can get something listed in a few minutes. I find it very easy and posting it is no big deal either. I just print off my pre-paid postage online and then put it in the post or take it down the post office whilst i run errands in town.

The fees are annoying generally 10% on ebay + 2.5% paypal + 0.20p but i consider them fair game as it gets me a sale.

As for items that don't sell. I click relist and it's done in 15 seconds.

As for the non-payers well yes that's annoying but again I just wait a few days, open a case if they don't sell after a few messages, then relist if they don't sell.

I don't need money straight away.

I wouldn't sell something at a car boot for any less than I can make (minus the fees) on ebay. But I would expect an amature to sell for less at a car boot. by amature i mean someone who is "noob" on the computer and cannot deal with ebay and administration.

But it totally hear your point of view and understand where you're coming from!

If someone quotes you a price at a carboot and says it's the same as ebay, why not get out your iphone, do a quick ebay search and show them they're over pricing by showing cheaper ones you can buy on ebay....

:D

Can you list my games and consoles for me then? :D Only about 3500 of them. Ebay is way too much hassel for me which is why I stick to amazon which really can take 30 seconds to list.

On the bolded statement, is this a hypothetical statement or do you actually do this?

Can you list my games and consoles for me then? :D Only about 3500 of them. Ebay is way too much hassel for me which is why I stick to amazon which really can take 30 seconds to list.

On the bolded statement, is this a hypothetical statement or do you actually do this?

If you want to give me some profits i'll do it, PM me if interested.

I never sell stuff at car boots so hypothetical

yeah, but it's a bootfair, not ebay.

Right, heres the anger venting topic.....

Why does some-one at a car boot sale expect £25 for an unboxed Original Nintendo Gameboy? The protocol at a car boot sale dictates that most buyers like me want things for loose change and , when a seller asks way over the odds for something I just say ill think about it now and walk off. I used to try and knock the price down, but it just infuriates the sellers now envoking the standard response, "Youd get double that on eBay". You wouldnt. Until about 1 year ago you would have picked up great bargains at boot sales, Gumtree, Charity Shops and Cash Generic/Genetators (and they stink to high hell, have to hold your nose when you walk in, obligitary queue at the back of cash checkers dressed in trackies and hoodys and one guy selling an ALBA all in one stereo system for £6, original RRP £279). Now theyve disappeared dramatically. Theyre still there but aint bargains.

Anyway, the Gameboy remained on the stall with its £25 RRP hahaha and I walked off. Poor little whiteish plasticy device, with its 2 red dimples and oxidised backside will remain unloved again. I should report the seller to welfare and have the thing removed from their custody.

Oh yeah, PS2 games - £4-£6 each too, last year £1-£2.

in my experience as a seller, most buyers at bootsales want the stuff for nothing - i think the general feeling from sellers at boot sales, is that most people want to buy stuff for the magic figure of £1 and then wack it on ebay for a profit (games/video game stuff etc)

You just have to look at the bootsale thread on here to see that practice taking place....

if i caught the faintest whiff that someone was a trader - i increased the price by 300%

I'd much rather sell to someone who wants to play the game or system

i know a boot sale isnt ebay, but i expect a fair price for a game - if it cost me £20, i'd expect at least £6-7; if you want it for quid, you can **** arf - tight knuts.

in my experience as a seller, most buyers at bootsales want the stuff for nothing - i think the general feeling from sellers at boot sales, is that most people want to buy stuff for the magic figure of £1 and then wack it on ebay for a profit (games/video game stuff etc)

You just have to look at the bootsale thread on here to see that practice taking place....

if i caught the faintest whiff that someone was a trader - i increased the price by 300%

I'd much rather sell to someone who wants to play the game or system

i know a boot sale isnt ebay, but i expect a fair price for a game - if it cost me £20, i'd expect at least £6-7; if you want it for quid, you can **** arf - tight knuts.

A "fair price" is completely subjective though, isn't it? Sonic the Hedgehog cost £45 back in 1991, but I'd be daft to expect anything more than a quid for it today. The great thing about eBay is that it's a whole lot less subjective, since it's the bidders who ultimately determine an item's value - and if a trader facilitates that system, I say more power to them.

Personally, I don't think it's very principled to increase the price of a boot sale item because you suspect somebody may be out to make a profit. It's perfectly reasonable business practice on your part, but to suggest you're doing anyone but yourself a favour is questionable, at best: the fact is that by listing it on eBay, a trader is more likely to find a suitable owner than you are operating out the boot of a car.

And so what if they make a profit in the process? If they have the expertise and willpower to get up at the crack of dawn to seek these things out for resale, why shouldn't they be rewarded? Of course they want stuff cheap - everybody does, whether they're out to make a profit or not. I mean, how do you tell the difference between somebody who intends to buy for profit, and somebody who just knows a lot about games, but doesn't want to pay eBay prices?

In short, I don't really get where you're coming from. To me, it's pretty straightforward: if you want the most money, sell it on eBay - for all the crap that gets thrown at it, it's a pretty fair system that benefits sellers and buyers alike. If you don't care and just want rid ASAP, sell your stuff at a car boot. I don't see that there's a lot of potential for a crossover.

I'm about to take some stuff to a car boot. I've also been eBaying things heavily recently too. (I'm confident SOMEONE from the forum has bought something I've sold recently, as I've offloaded about 100 items so far!)

I'll stick to eBay for the more expensive stuff. Recent consoles, new games, expensive accessories. People aren't carrying or willing to pay £30-40 + for items at a car boot, with no guarantees they even work.

I have a load of crap that'll be impossible to shift on eBay for more than 20p, old ps2 and xbox games like Metal Gear Solid 2 for example have a million copies on eBay. But at a car boot for a quid, bearing in mind theres no postage, no wait times, someone might think "go on then".

I think this is more the way it should be.

Prices are on the up though. I was looking around for a CD32 after reading the Retro Gamer hardware special and wanting to relive my lost yoof! Ebay prices really are silly considering how much it sold for after it bombed (very quickly). I'm sure I only paid £100 for it new back in the day with Microcosm and Liberation thrown in.

Prices are on the up though. I was looking around for a CD32 after reading the Retro Gamer hardware special and wanting to relive my lost yoof! Ebay prices really are silly considering how much it sold for after it bombed (very quickly). I'm sure I only paid £100 for it new back in the day with Microcosm and Liberation thrown in.

brought one off a boot with a pile of games for 20 quid a few years ago.

My cd32 haul is still my most proud and it was from gamestation.

49 games for £49. They were priced up at something like £5 each. I took the 2 big boxed games I wanted (alien breed and all terrain racing I think) to the till and asked if they were interested in clearing the lot (there were about 20 on display). They replied, "yeah, got a whole stack out the back that aren't shifting" and brought out another 30 games. Then they offered the lot at £1 each, happy days.