IGNORED

Resident Evil Revival Selection

Sergeant Squid

I mean, compare this re-release of arguably the second best game of the last generation, with Halo Anniversary, the best game of the last generation (IMO). It's just such a massive waste.

Er, they removed the multiplayer, that's like RE4 without mercenaries. If Halo 1 didn't run like shit on the 360 then Anniversary wouldn't matter (imo of course). Oh and this is less than £15 if you buy cheap points, Halo is a £30 release.

Also, this is great. It's RE4 on the 360, no more but certainly no less. The art direction is incredible still and the village section has given me suitably sweaty palms :wub:

Not sure how many people have that dolphin thing up and running but for everyone else this seems like the best version of the game.

I gotta say, i don't know what the fuck people are moaning about. This looks like RE4 HD to me. In fact, after playing the Wii version not two weeks ago, it's like someone has polished my eyeballs.

I'm happy. Leave the naysayers to it! :sherlock:

It's obviously lazy, but...

I still renewed my PS Plus subscription earlier than intended to get it at 50% off. Roll on tomorrow, assuming this hideous head / neck pain combo has subsided...

Er, they removed the multiplayer, that's like RE4 without mercenaries. If Halo 1 didn't run like shit on the 360 then Anniversary wouldn't matter (imo of course). Oh and this is less than £15 if you buy cheap points, Halo is a £30 release.

They haven't technically removed the multiplayer. They've included maps from the first two games and one from the PC version to be used in the Reach engine. Best of both worlds, if you ask me. They're also introducing a playlist that mimics the original Halo settings as much as possible.

Not censored on 360.

They haven't technically removed the multiplayer. They've included maps from the first two games and one from the PC version to be used in the Reach engine. Best of both worlds, if you ask me. They're also introducing a playlist that mimics the original Halo settings as much as possible.

It's a Reach map pack, but I do see why a lot of people would like that (I preferred Halo 1 or 3's multiplayer).

Well, yes. Dolphin is just upressing it and adding some filters etc. For a game this important, it should have had the same care and attention afforded to it that Halo Anniversary is getting. Re-done textures, effects etc. In that respect, yes, I expected this to be way better looking than what Dolphin could produce because Dolphin is only working with the assets from the GC original.

You misunderstand, for it look all fancy and shiny and almost like a new game on Dolphin you need a pretty hefty PC even by today's standards - there's no way the 360 or PS3 could come close to that unless, as you say, they remade it and added a bunch of new assets. But Anniversary is an exception, most HD rereleases don't go that far. But what I think you misunderstand is that even a 'simple' upscaled and polished port can look amazing in HD on the current consoles (just look at the first two God of War games on PS3) but that would require actual work - and Capcom have put close to zero effort into this lazy rush-job and that is why it doesn't looks as good as it could look if Capcom could have been bothered.

You misunderstand, for it look all fancy and shiny and almost like a new game on Dolphin you need a pretty hefty PC even by today's standards - there's no way the 360 or PS3 could come close to that unless, as you say, they remade it and added a bunch of new assets. But Anniversary is an exception, most HD rereleases don't go that far. But what I think you misunderstand is that even a 'simple' upscaled and polished port can look amazing in HD on the current consoles (just look at the first two God of War games on PS3) but that would require actual work - and Capcom have put close to zero effort into this lazy rush-job and that is why it doesn't looks as good as it could look if Capcom could have been bothered.

No, I agree with you. This should look amazing, just like the GOW games or Ico/SOTC. It's really shoddy that they have added jack shit to actually take advantage of the extra grunt at their disposal. Hell, even Metroid Prime on the Wii looks better than it's forebear on the GC and that's on pretty much the same sodding hardware!

Well, I'm definitely buying the ICO collection as that is how a HD remake should be as you say. And both those games are just as timeless and brilliant as Resi 4 - with Resi 4 I'll just fire it up on Dolphin if I ever want to replay it.

Hopefully the Silent Hill and MGS HD remakes will turn out better.

As others are saying, it’s ridiculous that Capcom did not take some time and remaster Re:Birth, Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil 3 & Resident Evil 4 as a collection.

Rebirth, Resident Evil 2 & Resident Evil 3 could not have much done to them because of the static backgrounds, but one only has to look at the care Sony are taking with the Ico & Colossus pack to see how a remaster should be done for Resident Evil 4.

They could remaster the aspect ratio and make the game Widescreen, upscale the game to make it 1080p, add online leader boards and allow configurable controls. There’s so much they could have done with not much effort and I think you would find Resident Evil fans chomping at the bit to be able to play a well handled port to a modern console.

All that’s left is the Code Veronica port. I believe it was mentioned that the lighting has been improved and this has widescreen support…

As I no longer have the game in physical form I'll fork over the Plus price of £7.99 for RE4. It does seem like a huge missed opportunity, though, and given the regular asking price you'd expect Capcom to show a lot more respect for one of their most beloved games.

There's 12 achievements for 1000g and they're all mostly for defeating bosses. Is this right? If it is, it's pretty poor. I can probably think of at least 30 that would make people play around with the game and see all of it. There will be people who haven't played this who own a 360/PS3 and there's a lot of the game you can miss if you just play it through once.

What I'm interested in is what the audio is like with the Regenerators and how utterly unpleasant they look in HD.

I'll probably pick it up eventually as I'd like a decent version of Mercs - the maps were too big for me on Resident Evil 5.

Still got that great atmosphere, huh? Zing!

WAHAHAHA

but seriously, the image quality's dreadful.

Still, it's nowhere near bloody awful-looking as the Wii version for image quality, and it's RE4 on a 360 pad.

Which actually feels weird.

Doesn't bode well for the rumoured Devil May Cry 'HD' collection - Devil May Cry stood up pretty well on PS2, but if it gets the same (lack of) treatment as RE4, HD could well show up any 10-year-old flaws.

Anyway, I'm not champing at the bit to buy RE4 on 360 at this point. Have it on PS2, and haven't given RE5(Gold) any serious attention yet anyway.

I gotta say, i don't know what the fuck people are moaning about. This looks like RE4 HD to me. In fact, after playing the Wii version not two weeks ago, it's like someone has polished my eyeballs.

I'm happy. Leave the naysayers to it! :sherlock:

So very true :)

Doesn't bode well for the rumoured Devil May Cry 'HD' collection - Devil May Cry stood up pretty well on PS2, but if it gets the same (lack of) treatment as RE4, HD could well show up any 10-year-old flaws.

Anyway, I'm not champing at the bit to buy RE4 on 360 at this point. Have it on PS2, and haven't given RE5(Gold) any serious attention yet anyway.

You'll be in for a big upgrade from the PS2 version regardless of the lazy port; that version was a real dog compared to the GC original, although the PC iteration was the worst of all.

It looks good, it plays great*, rllmuk moans, all is right in the world.

* That said I'm really surprised how weird the controls feel by today's standards. You expect the tankesque walking and I don't mind it, but the button placement is mental, I keep shooting when I want to reload and vice versa. Were games like this then or is it due to the GC controller having really squishy triggers where RT wouldn't really suit a shooting action? I don't want to think of anything about this game being archaic, I remember it coming out and playing it what seems like far too recently for that :(

Important (to me) question: Is the run button still to the left of action/shoot? They switched them around for Resi 5 and I just couldn't get used to it.

EDIT: Oh, Yasawas posted while I was faffing about posting -- looks like they've spazzed the buttons up then?