Console release day anticipation

CandyBob

The 3DS release over the last week got me thinking about my best ever console release day. Although I bought the current gen consoles on day 1 there was little of that anticipation that I used to feel. Maybe age has something to do with this (although the 3DS did stir those old feelings a bit).

My favourite has to be the Super Famicom. I had some experience of importing with the Megadrive and got hold of a machine shortly after the Japanese release. I wouldn't call myself a fanboy of either system but I was completely caught up in the hype surrounding the Super Famicom and SMW. I was bouncing off of the walls during the weeks leading up to the release. I really loved the aesthetic of the Japanese console and because of the Megadrive I had fallen in love with the boxart which I found superior to our own. The Super Famicom was also responsible for getting me into the whole Otaku thing and Japanese culture as a whole.

I think I paid about £400 for a console with SMW and Pilotwings. Unexpectedly it was the amazing visuals of Pilot Wings that wowed me at first although the supreme playability in SMW eventually had me playing it obsessively.

So, what's your fondest console release memory?

Playstation 1 was my favourite. I couldn't afford to buy it but my friend had saved up and bought it with Tekken 1 and some other game that I forget. We loved everything about it and it was really modern in comparison to what else was available. The N64 used carts.. This was new shit. I learnt a grab move with Jack on Tekken and dominated the whole day. Was very good fun.

Now I don't get excited about new releases. All companies do is make small modifications to consoles and market them as new technology. I don't call a 30 minute better battery life, 0.5cm screen increase and 1MP camera improvement a new console when it comes to new handhelds...

I'll be excited when a new proper console is released with groundbreaking graphics improvements.

Playstation 1 was my favourite. I couldn't afford to buy it but my friend had saved up and bought it with Tekken 1 and some other game that I forget. We loved everything about it and it was really modern in comparison to what else was available. The N64 used carts.. This was new shit. I learnt a grab move with Jack on Tekken and dominated the whole day. Was very good fun.

Now I don't get excited about new releases. All companies do is make small modifications to consoles and market them as new technology. I don't call a 30 minute better battery life, 0.5cm screen increase and 1MP camera improvement a new console when it comes to new handhelds...

I'll be excited when a new proper console is released with groundbreaking graphics improvements.

The Playstaion was a mixed bag for me. As you say it did feel like magic, especially with Ridge Racer as a first game.

The bad was that I pre-ordered from C(complete)EX(excrement) for about £450 (I was told they would be no more than this) who then wanted almost twice that when they got the consoles in.

The Playstaion was a mixed bag for me. As you say it did feel like magic, especially with Ridge Racer as a first game.

The bad was that I pre-ordered from C(complete)EX(excrement) for about £450 (I was told they would be no more than this) who then wanted almost twice that when they got the consoles in.

Day one imported Japanese PS1s, and by day one it meant the time it took for the consoles to fly from Japan on launch day and arrive in the CEX store cost around a grand. Importers were raking it in during the 90's. So glad the internet killed them off.

The 3DS is the very first console I've bought on launchday, I've always had more patience in the past!

I got an import N64 as soon as they sorted out the RGB mod, but that wasn't quite at launch. I bought a US Dreamcast maybe a month after release, but that's it really.

My favourite has to be the Super Famicom. I had some experience of importing with the Megadrive and got hold of a machine shortly after the Japanese release. I wouldn't call myself a fanboy of either system but I was completely caught up in the hype surrounding the Super Famicom and SMW. I was bouncing off of the walls during the weeks leading up to the release. I really loved the aesthetic of the Japanese console and because of the Megadrive I had fallen in love with the boxart which I found superior to our own. The Super Famicom was also responsible for getting me into the whole Otaku thing and Japanese culture as a whole.

I think I paid about £400 for a console with SMW and Pilotwings. Unexpectedly it was the amazing visuals of Pilot Wings that wowed me at first although the supreme playability in SMW eventually had me playing it obsessively.

I don't think I've ever desired a console before purchase as much as the Super Famicom/Super NES. This was back when it was import-only, as in the SFC or the blocky US SNES, no PAL console yet available. Super Mario World (first time I'd heard of Mario), Pilotwings, F-Zero, even Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts; I'd look at the screenshots in magazines of these really amazing looking games, which pissed over anything on the Mega Drive, and just want them all, and the exotic Japanese console that ran them.

Took me until almost the end of 1993 to get my own Super NES. :( Worth the wait though.

I've never quite managed a launch day console. The N64 was the first console I got really excited about having, but as I was away getting married when it launched I had to wait until I came back to buy one - which I did, I think about the first day I was back in the country.

Came close with the Gamecube. At the time of release in Japan and the US we didn't even know if Nintendo was intending to release it in the UK at all. My friend had managed to find a normal retailer in the US that would ship him one on launch day, so when it arrived I went round his house and we got the thing out and set it up. Putting Rebel Assault in for the first time literally blew us away it looked so good. I got my cube a week or so later, when the Jap/US region switch was known about, and picked it up from Lik-Sang.

Since that time nothing has really come close to the excitement levels, I think because we generally have much close worldwide launches, so there's no need to go all early-adopter and import the latest console, when you can pop down your local high street and pick them up.

That does not make sense to anyone that does not know you got them free off Sony (I assume)

Yeah, I possibly should have explained that better.

We got given them on launch day by Sony. They told us that, when we left the company, we had to give them back. But we realised that they'd drop in price so we'd still be in profit if they did try to enforce this rule (which they didn't) and we had to replace them.

I've never quite managed a launch day console. The N64 was the first console I got really excited about having, but as I was away getting married when it launched I had to wait until I came back to buy one - which I did, I think about the first day I was back in the country.

Came close with the Gamecube. At the time of release in Japan and the US we didn't even know if Nintendo was intending to release it in the UK at all. My friend had managed to find a normal retailer in the US that would ship him one on launch day, so when it arrived I went round his house and we got the thing out and set it up. Putting Rebel Assault in for the first time literally blew us away it looked so good. I got my cube a week or so later, when the Jap/US region switch was known about, and picked it up from Lik-Sang.

Since that time nothing has really come close to the excitement levels, I think because we generally have much close worldwide launches, so there's no need to go all early-adopter and import the latest console, when you can pop down your local high street and pick them up.

Never bought a console at launch before, most likely due to being too young to afford them mainly; i did get a GBC a month after launch, and the Pal DC and xbox360 about 6months afterwards.

Red Alignment you think 1993 was bad, i had to wait till christmas 1995 for my first 16 bit console :(

Regarding less excitement for launch consoles, for myself theres a number of reasons. The last console i had such anticipation for was the Dreamcast, back in 1998/99 i had to wait for the next issue of CVG to get my next slice of DC info, and i'd remember spending each month reading and re-reading articles peering over new info and the images of the new games. From the pages of CVG i first learned of the DC's announcement and those wonderful tech demos of the tower of babel, a few issues later and there was shenmue, those images blew me away. The slow drip feed of information over the months helped build my anticipation for the console and helped create an aura of mystery around it. Today, i believe we take such things for granted, we know of a console and what it can do even before its announced, we learn of every project on the platform and through the fast spread of videos and information we basially know what it forthcoming games will play like. Such an over load of information can only dampen our anticipation for a new format.

Theres also hasn't really been a sizable leap between console generations since the DC. New consoles just don't seem as revolutionary and exciting as before. And also there has been a lack of killer aps in recent console launches. Previously it would have been suicidal for a company not to release a console with its own exclusive killer ap. There hasn't been a lauch title that screamed 'must buy now' at me for ages, probably not since the pal DC. And of course its harder to find excitment for the new xbox or playstation when they are basically two of a kind.

I remember importing a Japanese Gamecube at launch. It was a really stupid decision in hindsight - the fact that it would only play Japanese games didn't seem to phase me. I just wanted it!

Cost about £400 quid if i recall, maybe a bit more. But I did get it with Luigi Mansion, Wave Race & Monkey Ball.

Whats more, when it finally arrived it would only play in b&w on my TV!! I ordered a NTSC-PAL converter which cost 60 quid, but that didnt arrive for a week or two - so i mainly just ended up playing Monkey Ball in B&W till the converter arrived.

Thankfully some clever people discovered you could add a switch to the motherboard and play USA games as well - which made me happy as that meant i wasn't restricted to Japanese games. I then purchased USA games for most of the cubes life and then hacked it with a Qube chip so i could play PAL games =)

Probably the N64 UK release. 250 big ones for the console, 60 for Mario, 65 (I think) for Turok :facepalm: I was so excited to get home and play Mario after seeing and reading so much about it I nearly crapped my pants in the car on the way home.

Reduced to 150 a few weeks later, anyone remember that? My mum wrote a letter to Nintendo (seriously :lol:) complaining and they sent us a free copy of Waverace. Good times.

Either that or the 360, I'd pre-ordered two like a naughty profiteer and promptly sold the spare for 600+ on eBay.

Reduced to 150 a few weeks later, anyone remember that? My mum wrote a letter to Nintendo (seriously :lol:) complaining and they sent us a free copy of Waverace. Good times.

yeah i remember the backlash from that, i think Nintendo gave a free copy of a game to everyone who complained, it must have cost them a bit

I liken buying a console on launch day to buying a brand new car. At best you keep it until it falls apart, but in the long run it doesnt matter at all when you buy one. If it's good, reliable (-360) and had decent games, you'll eventually pick one up for cheaper than a launch day price.

Everything else is pointless.

I liken buying a console on launch day to buying a brand new car. At best you keep it until it falls apart, but in the long run it doesnt matter at all when you buy one. If it's good, reliable (-360) and had decent games, you'll eventually pick one up for cheaper than a launch day price.

Everything else is pointless.

Hang on, and correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the PS1 come out well, well over a year before the N64 was released, and in Japan before it was even announced?

yeah i remember the backlash from that, i think Nintendo gave a free copy of a game to everyone who complained, it must have cost them a bit

I don't think so, remember this was compensation for a quick 100 quid discount of the console, basically Nintendo sold them a game for 100 quid. :lol:

I worked with a guy that was a THE (Nintendo's UK distributor) at that time. He told me the calls of complaints were so constant that call Center staff were taking sickies rather than deal with a 8 hour day of abusive phone calls. There were 2 levels of compensation, if you could be easily fobbed off you got a memory card. If you complained more you got a game.

I don't think so, remember this was compensation for a quick 100 quid discount of the console, basically Nintendo sold them a game for 100 quid. :lol:

I worked with a guy that was a THE (Nintendo's UK distributor) at that time. He told me the calls of complaints were so constant that call Center staff were taking sickies rather than deal with a 8 hour day of abusive phone calls. There were 2 levels of compensation, if you could be easily fobbed off you got a memory card. If you complained more you got a game.

Was it not a game AND a controller?

I bought my N64 a week before the big price drop, from the shop I worked in. So I spoke to the boss who let me get a refund and then buy it back at the cheaper price.

I also complained to Nintendo and sent them my original receipt (£250 minus staff discount). I seem to remember getting a game and a black controller for my troubles...

The only console I bought on launch was the original PSP, imported from Canada, complete with several stuck yellow pixels on the screen grouped together in the shape of an "S". Still, you couldn't see them when playing Ridge Racers!

Oh dear god i'm almost ashamed to admit this!!!

In no particular order.....

UK SNES on launch day, UK Sega Saturn on Launch day, UK N64 on Launch Day, UK Playstation on Launch Day, UK Gamecube on Launch Day, UK Xbox on Launch Day, UK XBOX 36o on Launch Day, UK DSi on Launch Day.

Expensive hobby!!!!

Oh dear god i'm almost ashamed to admit this!!!

In no particular order.....

UK SNES on launch day, UK Sega Saturn on Launch day, UK N64 on Launch Day, UK Playstation on Launch Day, UK Gamecube on Launch Day, UK Xbox on Launch Day, UK XBOX 36o on Launch Day, UK DSi on Launch Day.

Expensive hobby!!!!

OOf, there's the stinger, I guess you learned by the time PS3 was out. :D