New Star Soccer 5 (PC/Mac/iOS/Android/Flash)

siread

Yeah I've shame facedly admitted that error. However it just shows you that you barely notice that part as I plain forgot about if (you could take it out of the game without any worry). There's none of the usual personalisation gubbins that comes with such games and that's part of why it works.

I didn't want to have to show your player at all, but I just needed to bring in interceptions, and the possibility of dribbling and tackling challenges, so it was virtually unavoidable really.

Si - clicking on leaderboard/game centre on the main menu following a fresh start* of the app causes a crash?

It's fine from the career/life/status screen.

* well, at any time, but a fresh start is nice and repeatable. Playing on an iPad with whatever the latest version of iOS is.

I didn't want to have to show your player at all, but I just needed to bring in interceptions, and the possibility of dribbling and tackling challenges, so it was virtually unavoidable really.

See! You knew what you were doing you wily old dog. Luck indeed ;)

Despite having read the forum buzz for a few months, I just picked this up today after hearing siread on Joypod talking about the game and its development. Plays wonderfully on the Galaxy S3.

Any chance of a Baseball game, siread? The only real competition is "Out of the Park" which is on Windows/Mac/iOS (not android). Failing that, I'd settle for cricket.

Haha, nice one Brad. I'd love to see someone playing it in public, on the train or bus. That would be weird. I need to stop working and get out and about first I guess!

go on the tube man, seen a fair few.

Any chance of a Baseball game, siread? The only real competition is "Out of the Park" which is on Windows/Mac/iOS (not android). Failing that, I'd settle for cricket.

Baseball seems perfect, starting out at a local softball team.

Touch a falling ball to bat, touch a ball flying horizontally across the screen to catch and flick to pitch.

Guys from hockey were all asking about him doing a hockey game too. :lol:

You've created a monster Si :P

Tyagi, is you are looking for something baseball in the mean time, look at Baseball Superstars.

One of the things I love is how the players will actually run onto passes, so my favourite goal is chipping it through towards goal and my mans running onto it then smashing it into the net. you can actually score some pretty nice goals like this.

the one thing that is slightly annoying is the ability for players to bring down balls and kill them stone dead from head height. Is there a chance you might work into a future update that balls a certain height can only be headed by the defence/attack, and give you a chance to get the rebound or to link passes?

I realise the beauty is in the simplicity, but I think this, along with corners would add some nice variation.

I would love a New Star Cricket. I guess it's probably too niche, or at least certainly won't help break into the US. On the other hand, think of all those Indian rupees if it featured IPL!

That's one of the things I was thinking when recommending a cricket game. Android handsets are massive in the Indian market, and they're totally bonkers about cricket. Similarly, baseball is very big in SE Asia, so Android (for the S.Korean market where baseball is huge) and iOS for other markets where Apple handsets are more popular (e.g. the US), would be a no-brainer. Saying that, 900,000 new Android handset activations every day, apparently.

One of the things I love is how the players will actually run onto passes, so my favourite goal is chipping it through towards goal and my mans running onto it then smashing it into the net. you can actually score some pretty nice goals like this.

the one thing that is slightly annoying is the ability for players to bring down balls and kill them stone dead from head height. Is there a chance you might work into a future update that balls a certain height can only be headed by the defence/attack, and give you a chance to get the rebound or to link passes?

I realise the beauty is in the simplicity, but I think this, along with corners would add some nice variation.

I just wish my lazy bastard teammates would follow up on rebounds. The goal is right there! It's an easy tap-in! Just.... Gah!

I just wish my lazy bastard teammates would follow up on rebounds. The goal is right there! It's an easy tap-in! Just.... Gah!

Just as bad as that, which has me screaming at the bastards to move in in itself, is when the rebound or save is trundling directly towards one of your team... and the game cuts back to commentary. Noooooooo.jpg

I had a team mate score from a rebound in my last session. It took me by surprise.

My run of quadruples has come to an end with defeat to Everton in the League Cup. It was crazy. My team was in top form, I had 100% energy and decided to put full effort in. In spite of all this, Everton scored in the first, fourth and eleventh minutes before anyone from my side had touched the ball (well, apart from the kick offs, but apparently we gave the ball away immediately each time).

This was only the 1st leg, so I still had a good chance of making a comeback. Everton were having none of it, though. The tie ended 6-7. Great stuff despite the cruelty.

Just as bad as that, which has me screaming at the bastards to move in in itself, is when the rebound or save is trundling directly towards one of your team... and the game cuts back to commentary. Noooooooo.jpg

Yeah, there sometimes doesn't seem to be any logic to that. Sometimes the game will cut away in a second, yet one time I had an attacker chase a ball for literally 30 yards until a defender got it.

As I understand it, play ends when the ball goes off screen, out of play, or is touched by one of the opposition.

So, if it hits the woodwork it remains active, but if the keeper makes a save, play will end regardless of any opportunity for a follow up. I've never seen a player follow in such a chance, whereas when the ball hits the woodwork, only bad luck or good defence can thwart those mighty pixelmen.

I haven't been able to put this down since picking it up. The "just one more game" appeal is colossal, frighteningly addictive. I'm more for the RPG/strategy side but the little bits of action do really enhance things.

The only niggle I've found now that I am in the Premiership is that passing to a team-mate has become mostly pointless. I'm not sure if the keepers improve as you move up the leagues but the conversion ratio of my team-mates is really low in comparison to my team in the lower leagues. Maybe its my imagination.

Marvellous game though.

I honestly think too, that with some work, it could translate to other sports, allowing him to break the US market. Baseball and Basketball being the most likely candidates.

Ice-hockey would work with the fewest changes, I would have thought?

Simon has actually considered that any potential clone of New Star Soccer might take the form of an ice hockey game, due to the ease of transferring the gameplay but without having to build the database necessary for the football iteration.

It's all in my exciting interview with the delicious Mister Read[!], viewable here, but this can easily pass for spam so I'll just get the extract.

“[Copies are] a slight worry. I can see people doing different sports but following the same elements [as NSS] but it would be difficult to do for football' date=' unless you’re Sports Interactive or EA: to actually create the database and the competition system that NSS has, that’s taken me years to do, going back to NSS4, improved in NSS5 and then refined for Mobile.[/size']

“So unless they throw lots of money into that, it’d be quite difficult to get that much depth. So I’m kinda hoping that’s the case. The football version is my property, if you like. Other sports though, like golf or ice hockey, that could possibly come along and no doubt with much better graphics and flashy intro. And lots of IAPs, I’m sure.”

Ice-hockey would work with the fewest changes, I would have thought?

Of course and that would make me giddy with joy. However Ice Hockey is a lot less popular in the US. I'd buy the fuck out of it 10 times over though ;)