Hall Pass

Art Vandelay

I'll add the standard prefix to any new topic before I start: did a search, couldn't find anything.

Anyway, Hall Pass is the new Farrelly Brothers comedy with Owen Wilson, the good looking girl from The Office, Stephen Merchant and a series of other recognisable people that will make you spend most of the film wondering where you have seen them before. There's also a girl in it that the girlfriend informed me was in Neighbours. She gets her boobs out.

As a general rule I really quite like Farrelly Brothers films. Even obviously terrible ones have a few funny bits in. Pleasingly however this isn't shit and is instead actually rather good. The plot revolves around Wilson and his mate being middle aged men who are a bit too preoccupied with sex for their wives' liking, so they get given a 'hall pass' to tomcat about for a week and get it out of their system. This leads to a series of japes and capers as you may well expect, the twist being that their partners are also enjoying a week off from marriage.

I'll hold my hands up, the plot sounds awful, which I suppose it is. I'd still heartily recommend it though as there are some exceptionally funny bits in it and some affable characters that make things clip along. It's definitely more of a com than a rom but there's still a lot of heart in there. It's no Kingpin, but what is.

I thought this was genuinely awful, and one of the worst films I've seen in recent history. The jokes were tired and obvious, and lots of it was just unfunny and nasty. Particularly the ending...

Ha ha she fucked another dude while you were away but now you're asking her to forget everything that happened so she won't tell you that she's been a complete cunt behind your back! LOL!

• 9 months later...

I thought this was genuinely awful, and one of the worst films I've seen in recent history. The jokes were tired and obvious, and lots of it was just unfunny and nasty. Particularly the ending...

Ha ha she fucked another dude while you were away but now you're asking her to forget everything that happened so she won't tell you that she's been a complete cunt behind your back! LOL!

Watched this tonight, and whilst I don't think it was awful the particular bit did annoy me a bit and the message of the film is really "worship your woman no matter what". But it did have some moments which made me laugh, so that's the main thing.

Thought the funniest bit was Merchant's little sequence at the end; made me think, he had more screen time in this (and was more amusing) than in a series he co-wrote. Wasted.

the particular bit did annoy me a bit and the message of the film is really "worship your woman no matter what".

I think I felt the opposite - you were meant to feel like she had been awful, and the message was that women are insidious, and men will always be their chumps.