Gigs 2011

milko

I'm wearing my jealous face here elmo. Come back and tell us about it tomorrow would you? Whenever I've seen Queens they've not played enough from self titled, which is easily my favourite album.

As for gigging by yourself, sure it's cool - just go get lost in the music.

Sorry for the spelling errors and lack of editing. I'm tired and really should be going to bed:

In a venue more suited to the middle class, QOTSA strolled on stage, and with barely a glance towards the audience, started their set.

Tonight at the Roundhouse in Camden, they were due to play their much loved self titled album. Tickets were hard to come by and expectations were high, but any fears on the current state of the band were to be left in the cloakroom as Josh powered through their opening track Regular John.

The riffs were familiar yet new. It's clear that the lord of the rock wanted to mix up the well known songs but only for the better. As they went from one track to the next, ignoring the formalities of an introduction, the crowd became more interested in the new takes on old classics.

Each song sounded like they had been written yesterday but practised for years. Avon was tighter than I've ever heard and If Only more powerful. Josh had a glint in his eye. It was his Birthday and he wanted everyone at the party.

I've never heard the album fly by so quickly. Even the slow trudging end of Walking On Sidewalks finished in a flash and Josh took the moment to address the audience. “It's so fucking good to be back in London” a line that many have uttered before, but never with such sincerity.

He was determined to make the tracks you skip your new favourite and as Hispanic Impressions echoed off of the rafters of the unique venue, observing the crowd would only confirm that he had reached his goal.

Before I knew it, the band were thanking the crowd and heading off stage, making up for the lack of formalities. The main event was over, but the show was not.

Their return sparked a Lullabies to Paralize revival. Burn the witch seemed like second nature while Little Sister added more to the set list than I ever imagined it would. With the Debut behind them, Josh decided to play with the audience, asking them what they would like to hear next, 'In My Head' or 'Monsters In The Parasol'. There was no contest and he knew that.

Another break followed by a dash of Songs for the death and as Go With The Flow finished, the lights came up. Much to the crowd's disgust. We wanted more, yet never felt like we deserved it. Unfortunately, Josh had a some candle to blow out somewhere and left us with no option but to head for the underground.

I could sit here and list the tracks that stood out from the rest while giving you a run down of the set list, but it almost feels irrelevant. There wasn't one song that stole the show, QOTSA already had it locked up in a vault somewhere. Tonight was their night.

Queens of the Stone Age had something to prove. That a band with so much respect could show England that they're are still cooking with gas. They did more than that. They showed us that they are far from over. They showed us that they were ready to release more material, and that it would sound more relevant than anything else on the market.

But then again, we shouldn't have expected anything else.

Sounds great elmo. Jealous face still firmly fixed.

Play anything new? There was news on Zane Lowe last night that after Glastonbury queens are straight back into the studio for recording time - they have enough songs now for an album, feel they have nothing to prove anymore but want to release new material for people that dig them, the full interview to be played next Tuesday night. Although Josh said "no" to the question of playing new material at the Roundhouse last night, wonder if they aired anything previously unheard anyway?

Frank Turner in a small Church in Cambridge next week, doing an acoustic set.

I first saw him at Reading a couple of years ago, then at the Cambridge Corn Exchange - I'd imagine this will be the last time I see him with just 200 other people.

Just back from watching Roger Waters perform The Wall @ the MEN Arena. Was good. Was very good! :D

Jealous.

I'm kicking myself for not sorting tickets to see that, I procrastinated for ages, then when I checked again, tickets were £100+

Oh well

• 1 month later...

Went to see the Flaming Lips and Dinosaur Jr at the Alexandra Palace on friday. Seeing Dinosaur Jr performing 'Bug' was my main incentive for being there and they didn't disappoint. I never listened to the Flaming Lips much before but they were very great and they love their props. My only problem with them is that their vocalist does seem to ramble on a bit too long inbetween each song but overall very good

• 5 weeks later...

Went to see Iron Maiden at the O2 last night. Haven't listened to them since about 1987, but my metal loving friend had a spare ticket so I thought it would fun.

I was really quite disappointed, they played mostly new material. Hardly any of the classic stuff, only 4 songs in the main set I think. The sound was shite too, really distorted.

Also Janick Gers ponces around the stage like a tit.

A fun night out nonetheless. Got really drunk.

• 2 months later...

Well, busy few weeks for me. Off to see Vintage Trouble again. Twice. Once in Manchester then a few days later in Edinburgh in November. Following weekend I'm off to see Skrillex and FeedMe, then at the start of December I'm off to see Twin Atlantic. Can't wait.

^^ Beggars put on a really good show, loads of energy and know how to get the crowd going. Playing Leeds Saturday IIRC...

M83 in January at Birmingham's HMV Institute, one of the few venues I'll visit these days due to their fairly impressive sound system. Fucking awesome.

Though this is technically gigs 2012.

• 1 month later...