Apparently Valve have secured floor/shelf space at game shops in the US and UK.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2015/10/05/steam-to-have-retail-presence-in-united-states-canada-and-uk.aspx?utm_content=buffercd123&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Valve has announced plans to build a retail presence in North America and the United Kingdom. The company revealed today that GameStop, EB Games, and GAME locations will have dedicated Steam sections this fall.

Gabe Newell, founder and managing director of Valve, says that this move is designed to facilitate sales of the Steam Machines and related peripherals. “Creating a 'store within a store' across North America and the UK is a significant win for getting the first generation of Steam Hardware products into gamers' hands,” he says.

Yeah. Specific mentions of turrets, combine soldiers,quest citizens, rappelling npcs, player companions, the whole shebang. They done fucked up.

What's that you say? There's a HTC event on the 20th to show off the consumer version of Oculus?

What's that? The steam Summer sale game % meter went up to 109%, and it's 10/9 (in silly American) today?

What's that, come closer and whisper in my ear... you say it's the 8 year anniversary of Episode 2 today? My, how interesting!

STOP now. Just stop. Nothing WHATSOEVER is going to happen. We've been down this path so many times that it's worn away the floorboards. There are so, so many instances when something would happen or be announced and they never amounted to anything.

No matter how many coincidences, anniversaries, or whatever there is, there is no announcement today. They've even said HL3, should it exist, will not be VR related.

This is nothing. Nothing.

Right but it's never been anything related to source 2 coding, and this hl3.txt file is source 2.

It was an FGD file specifically formatted for source 2.

So it seems to confirm they're working on something called HL3 in their source 2 engine.

Skimming through the file I also noticed there's a few more references like

"Invincible Hunter!"

"Combine Pulse Ceiling Turret"

One of the other files in the folder containing hl3.txt is named "lights.txt". I looked through it for new entities and found a few entity classes that deal with the time of day and a realistic day-night cycle!
There's a few base entity classes that start on Line 1211 that mention things such as time of day, day of the year, day length, and lunar phase. There's even an env_time_of_day, starting on Line 1295.
This pretty much confirms that HL3 will be an open-world game. They'd have no reason to do this if the game had linear levels, because they could just change the skybox with each progressive map, like they did in Half-Life 2.

STOP now. Just stop. Nothing WHATSOEVER is going to happen. We've been down this path so many times that it's worn away the floorboards. There are so, so many instances when something would happen or be announced and they never amounted to anything.

No matter how many coincidences, anniversaries, or whatever there is, there is no announcement today. They've even said HL3, should it exist, will not be VR related.

This is nothing. Nothing.

Yeah but this thread is long overdue a melt-down stage in the Half Life 3 delusion cycle.

Has anybody heard from VN1X? I'm worried he may have died from this news. I hope he's okay.

Any supposed leak that has a "hl3" named text file as a source doesn't even as much as raise an eyebrow from me these days. Not even when it's found somewhere in Valve's own games.

Nothing to see here, sadly.