rllmuk
Moz

Valve - Hell freezes over - Valve announce Half Life: Alyx VR

Portal 2 and Half Life 3 to be the same game?!

I have long suspected that Half Life 3 would be a portal crossover type thing. I still think there'll be some reference in HL3 to Portal, but I no longer think they'll be the same thing.

There are four fingers but one is hidden by glass FOR A REASON! Don't let the dream die!

No I think it is very deliberate. If you look you can see they have drawn in the edges of the hidden missing finger in, pretty crappily and on the bicep, too make it less obvious, but in turn making it oh so very obvious what they were up too. At least imho.

It's the only possible good thing that can come of E3 this year. It would also be a pretty good marketing idea considering all the mac users who have just got steam and a copy of portal free.

No I think it is very deliberate. If you look you can see they have drawn in the edges of the hidden missing finger in, pretty crappily and on the bicep, too make it less obvious, but in turn making it oh so very obvious what they were up too. At least imho.

I think it's deliberate too.

It's the only possible good thing that can come of E3 this year. It would also be a pretty good marketing idea considering all the mac users who have just got steam and a copy of portal free.

Ha, yeah - "Half Life 3, coming to 360, PC, Mac and definitely not PS3!"

I think it's deliberate too.

I know, not sure why I put the no in there.

Ha, yeah - "Half Life 3, coming to 360, PC, Mac and definitely not PS3!"

:quote: Fuck you Sony, you cunts.

I'd wager they've come up with another good idea which is so good it can enrich and sustain a whole game. Like the gravity gun did in HL2.

LOL. Carry on.

OK, concerning the bicep pic on the last page, is the 64-pages thing then a 'dead give-away' this is going to be 64-bit only? Or is that reading too much in it? :quote:

I reckon something will be released on steam during E3, either a video teaser of Episode 3, a demo of Portal 2 or something else amazing and awesome. That's what I reckon the surprise relates to.

LOL. Carry on.

I used it for pretty much the whole game, because I have an imagination. No wonder you think Halo (Halo! lol) has better combat. But here's the deal. The combat in Halo is the same, over and over and over. And I've finished everything with the name Halo on it in Legendary, solo and co-op, and enjoyed it. But it's true. The wonderful thing about the Half Life series is that the combat changes consistently throughout the whole game. There'a always a unique twist to the action, some third element besides placing your crosshair over an enemy and firing, that keeps it fresh and interesting. That to me is joy of the series.

Just look at the Nova Prospekt section of HL2. Within one environment you go from commanding antlions to fighting big antlions with exploding barrels, to sneaking past sentry guns and knocking them out, to fighting some dudes, to doing some simple physics puzzles, back to commanding some antlions whilst listening to breen over the intercom, to fighting some of the rippers (whatever they're called!) to some close-quarters multi-level dude fighting, back to listening to some more breen and peeking at security cam footage showing mysterious little alien dudes, then stumbling across a bunch of enemies fighting a giant antlion, then eventually getting your hands on some of those pesky security turrets and being forced to set them up strategically in limited time, then hiding in a corner and shitting yourself while you keep piling up boxes to hide behind with your gravity gun and desperately trying to chuck grenades out of your hidey hole before they explode. And that's over the course of about 10-15 minutes if you don't include deaths. Most games just throw more stuff, than bigger stuff, than more bigger stuff at you. It's the same reason that Resi 4 is so great - satisfying core combat and a design document that keeps the player doing something new and fresh for the whole length of the game. So awesome :wub:

Meh. Valve are overrated. :coffee:

Oh no! He didn't?!?!? :rolleyes:

Aren't you the one that started that shit thread about Valve being shit because they don't develop for your shitty console of choice? Which doesn't make any sense, because if they were shit you wouldn't care that you couldn't play shitty ports of their supposedly shitty games. Sheeeeeeeeeeeit.

If you're talking about design, lol, they're unparalleled in the art of exposition through environment and consistently different gameplay. Sure, Half Life 2 is dated now, but only because every developer out there lifts from it liberally at every opportunity.

Hopefully this will be Half Life 3, and it will blow everything else clean out of the water. My only worry is that Valve are too afraid to modernise it somewhat, and we end up with a really long episode 3 which plays exactly like episode 2 and doesn't introduce any particularly new elements. I'd rather see them build the game around a new core mechanic, as I said earlier.

536906.jpg

I just noticed the face. Once you see it, it's plain as day. It's that rascally G-Man!

Just look at the Nova Prospekt section of HL2. Within one environment you go from commanding antlions to fighting big antlions with exploding barrels, to sneaking past sentry guns and knocking them out, to fighting some dudes, to doing some simple physics puzzles, back to commanding some antlions whilst listening to breen over the intercom, to fighting some of the rippers (whatever they're called!) to some close-quarters multi-level dude fighting, back to listening to some more breen and peeking at security cam footage showing mysterious little alien dudes, then stumbling across a bunch of enemies fighting a giant antlion, then eventually getting your hands on some of those pesky security turrets and being forced to set them up strategically in limited time, then hiding in a corner and shitting yourself while you keep piling up boxes to hide behind with your gravity gun and desperately trying to chuck grenades out of your hidey hole before they explode. And that's over the course of about 10-15 minutes if you don't include deaths. Most games just throw more stuff, than bigger stuff, than more bigger stuff at you. It's the same reason that Resi 4 is so great - satisfying core combat and a design document that keeps the player doing something new and fresh for the whole length of the game. So awesome :rolleyes:

What has any of that undeniable variety got to do with the essence of the combat? You've thrown in the physics puzzles in there as well for some reason. Halo may not have this variety - I'd argue it does, in differing ways - but I'm honestly stumbled as to how anyone can argue the combat of HL2 is better. The AI is horrific. The only time I felt put under genuine threat by the AI in it was when I was forced to engage enemies in a sepecific way: the Strider at the end of 2; the zombie charge in the dark on episode one and so on. Whereas Halo can genuinely always outsmart you when you least suspect it: in general, open skirmishes. The bread and butter combat of HL2 was a shooting gallery, essentially.

I love both games, but I honestly don't see HL2 as even being competitive in this area.

OK, concerning the bicep pic on the last page, is the 64-pages thing then a 'dead give-away' this is going to be 64-bit only? Or is that reading too much in it? :rolleyes:
Ha, yeah - "Half Life 3, coming to 360, PC, Mac, N64 and definitely not PS3!"

:coffee:

I used it for pretty much the whole game, because I have an imagination. No wonder you think Halo (Halo! lol) has better combat. But here's the deal. The combat in Halo is the same, over and over and over. And I've finished everything with the name Halo on it in Legendary, solo and co-op, and enjoyed it. But it's true. The wonderful thing about the Half Life series is that the combat changes consistently throughout the whole game. There'a always a unique twist to the action, some third element besides placing your crosshair over an enemy and firing, that keeps it fresh and interesting. That to me is joy of the series.

Just look at the Nova Prospekt section of HL2. Within one environment you go from commanding antlions to fighting big antlions with exploding barrels, to sneaking past sentry guns and knocking them out, to fighting some dudes, to doing some simple physics puzzles, back to commanding some antlions whilst listening to breen over the intercom, to fighting some of the rippers (whatever they're called!) to some close-quarters multi-level dude fighting, back to listening to some more breen and peeking at security cam footage showing mysterious little alien dudes, then stumbling across a bunch of enemies fighting a giant antlion, then eventually getting your hands on some of those pesky security turrets and being forced to set them up strategically in limited time, then hiding in a corner and shitting yourself while you keep piling up boxes to hide behind with your gravity gun and desperately trying to chuck grenades out of your hidey hole before they explode. And that's over the course of about 10-15 minutes if you don't include deaths. Most games just throw more stuff, than bigger stuff, than more bigger stuff at you. It's the same reason that Resi 4 is so great - satisfying core combat and a design document that keeps the player doing something new and fresh for the whole length of the game. So awesome :rolleyes:

Alternatively; the combat is Half Life is so poor that they have to keep changing other factors to keep you interested.

I didn't think it was that bad, actually. The shotgun felt good. But it always felt like a shooting gallery, and other than (very) occasionally having to manage the environment no strategy was involved at any point.

I don't like the RE4 reference- it's a stretch because RE4 had amazing combat and set pieces

It didn't matter much anyway as I always saw HL2 as a first person adventure game, the combat and shooting was just a means to an end and not the core enjoyment of the game anyway- so I was fine with it being kinda meh and dated (outside of the gravity gun). Fear reminded me of that especially a little while later on the PC as it was the complete opposite of HL2. Dull locations, almost no exploration or freedom but ball bustingly amazing gunplay and combat.

Bearing in mind that I adore HL2 and it's firmly one of my favourite gaming experiences, I'll never understand the praise the gravity gun gets. The actual physics and their implementation into the game were genuinely revolutionary at the time and deserve all the praise they get, but the gravity gun itself...it's just nothing. Always was.

All you do is ping random objects at enemies, and if said object is heavy enough it'll kill them in one, otherwise it'll just bounce off them. There's absolutely nothing to it, that core mechanic never changes...so how does it add any variety at all? I was already bored of it by the time I'd finished the handful of gravity-gun only sections, never mind playing the whole game with it. That sounds like absolute tedium to me.

Don't get me wrong, it was fun for fucking around with the physics occasionally and seeing what silly stuff you could do...but is it what made HL2 a great game? Not at all.

I wasn't praising the gravity gun for combat to be clear, was just clarifying that it was the only part of HL2's combat that wasn't something I had seen before in many typical PC shooters. It didn't elevate the combat much for me, but it was something pretty unique at the time

Yeah, to be honest I was mainly replying to Morrius' comments upthread, where he said he felt the combat was more varied than Halo's and that he used the gravity for nearly the whole game 'because he had an imagination'. I don't really see where having an imagination comes into it, because there's pretty much fuck all you can actually do with the thing. When you're using it in combat... the random object you're lifting might change, but nothing else ever does.

So if that's to be believed the Freeman pic is fake and it's not episode 3.

I'd put more faith in that Saxton Hale image anyway.HL3 at E3 it is then.