IGNORED

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - Nintendo Switch Release April 23

The Sarge

I recently rediscovered my love for this. I had completed the main quest and

plunged the world into darkness

and hadn't done much on that. It's a little confusing coming back, as with many RPG's - all the items and weapons you've got, it's easy to forget how it all works!

I decided to give the Sorcerer class a go so changed vocation - because I'd got a couple of golden weapons and wanted to sell them. There's a perk which gives you 15% more gold for selling ;)

However I got smashed to bits just outside Gran Soren. Not ideal!

Is there a nice area where I can level up my new vocation without being hammered, considering it's after the final bit?

Yay, free on PS+! Looking forward to getting stuck in - the videos I've seen look pretty damn epic. Was it considered a good game on here?

I'd say it's my fav game of 2012. I stuck in over 80 hours which, for me, is pretty unheard of. It's got a wonderful feel to it, and some great battles. It can be harsh at times, yet it always feels like it's your fault when you get smashed about.

I got bored of the running back and forth past the same monsters hour after hour after hour. .. .there is a lot of backtrack in what is a large engough world.

Oh and keeping a track of your current quest and where your're supposed to be going next is pretty rubbish. I never got to grips with it, and then i had to run back past those fucking harpies for the gazillionth time and thats when i put it down

Yay, free on PS+! Looking forward to getting stuck in - the videos I've seen look pretty damn epic. Was it considered a good game on here?

It's an adorable, slightly quirky, slightly janky RPG with many unique features. If Dark Souls is a grumpy old man sitting in the dark corner of a pub, spitting at people who get too close, this is his young, attractive, chirpy, popular, teenage granddaugher (or grandson, depending on your preference). Many people here really like it and can't wait for Dragon's Dogma 2. Shame that Deep Down isn't going to be that game.

• 1 month later...

I'd like to get Dark Arisen, £20 download - I'm scared about losing the music though.

What to so?! :/

I used to just have it running on the "Push Start" screen on the TV while I played on my PC. I loved the music/title sequence so much that it not being there really put me off Dark Arisen, which is possibly one of the daftest reasons to not like a game ever :(

Well I don't want to buy the game as i will lose the music! It's part of the mystique and magic of the game when you boot it up!

It would be like playing Rosie and Jim over the start of Star Wars.

Well if you've still got the original Dragon's Dogma, you can always stick that on for the title music if you need to. However, if you're playing the game, you just skip straight through the title screen, right?

But I know what you mean..... a bad choice by the developers to change that music....

Well if you've still got the original Dragon's Dogma, you can always stick that on for the title music if you need to. However, if you're playing the game, you just skip straight through the title screen, right?

But I know what you mean..... a bad choice by the developers to change that music....

Hmm. Doesn't the new one use the old save file info etc? I thought it would kind of overwrite the old one...or can I play both?!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have come very late to this, enjoying it loads, even after playing for a couple of hours with rusty daggers and rusty bow. I didn't realise how much coin I had accumulated and things improved with half decent equipment.

I have created a huge Amazon as my pawn, reading through the thread it seems to be a popular choice. If anyone is still playing and wants to loan me their pawns it would be much appreciated.

I should add that if you've got a save file from the original release you can carry straight on with it in Dark Arisen, as I found to my satisfaction. Not if you buy it on a different format though, like Mr Ben.

I've found buying, selling and arranging items & equipment to be disproportionately time consuming when compared to the actual gameplay; it seems that every few minutes I'm discarding buckets and pickling herbs. Also my pawns keep nicking items before I've had the chance to look at them properly. I always end up with empty jugs whilst the other guys hop about pinching harspuds from under my nose and have to spend ages re-arranging things so I get all the goodies in the icebox.

Also, I have found that picking pawns who are at the same level as I am inevitably leads to being wiped out so I think I might start hiring stronger ones now. Is that the recommended technique?

Only proper RPGs I've ever completed are Dragon Quest IV and V on the DS. Hated any of the Fallout/Oblivion type stuff when I've played it before.

Anything with too many items that you have to read up on off your own back, dialog trees, too many systems and that.

WIll I like this? Does it really play a bit like a proper God of War style brawler in places?

Yeah, my pawns tend to be a few levels higher. I tend to stick to the same ones for a while though, so I eventually level past them, and when I get my arse handed to me I pick some new ones. It's a great system. It's a MILLION times better than a difficulty slider. Having problems? Get some kick-arse bastard pawns to help you out. I can't believe more games haven't used such a system, it's fantastic.

I have the vanilla Dragon's Dogma on 360 and Dark Arisen via PS+. Which should I play? I'd started playing the 360 version but didn't get much past Gran Soren for assorted reasons but fancy coming back to this now.

Could I continue my 360 save and get Dark Arisen on the cheap later without missing out on much?

Had a run in with the ogres earlier, the dirty dogs wouldn't leave my amazonian pawn alone, they did a runner with her a couple of times.

I came across a dragon but I got stomped in short order, what sort of level do you need to be to take one on? I'm about level 20 at the minute but I couldn't make dent in its health

Its a cracking game, I just wish I hadn't rolled such a short arse to start with as he can't carry much.

The one at the top left of the world map is the easiest to kill apparently, though it took me a few attempts on my first play-through at the time. He can still be a right git when your higher level, mainly due to the mind control, but that can be interrupted if your quick enough. I found that the quickest way to kill him was to go a Warrior class (one with the 2 handed sword) and use the charge attacks at the right time (when he isn't targeting you). Make sure you have a healer type mage, and above all else prevent that pawn from being mind controlled.

I really should start playing this again on my PS3, but I have far too many games on PC to plough (The Witcher 2 included :P) through.

I have the vanilla Dragon's Dogma on 360 and Dark Arisen via PS+. Which should I play? I'd started playing the 360 version but didn't get much past Gran Soren for assorted reasons but fancy coming back to this now.

Could I continue my 360 save and get Dark Arisen on the cheap later without missing out on much?

You need to be at least level 40+ to get the most out of Dark Arisen, there are powerful enemies down there that take your team apart if you aren't careful. If I recall correctly, you also need to be at a certain part of the story for the new area to open anyway, so unless you prefer to PS3 pad I'd say stick with the 360 version you've already started.