Wii HD

Major Britten

I get the impression sometimes that only Iwata knows what's going on. The Vitality Sensor, for example - seemed to be entirely his own doing (notable that Reggie kept referring to it as 'Mr. Iwata's Vitality Sensor' as a distancing tactic). That said, such an adamant dismissal would suggest it's not on the cards for early next year, or indeed next year at all. But then again...

I doubt they'll even do scaling for old software - it's not like they did it for VC games.

They do for N64 (i.e. 3D) games. They all run at 480p native resolution.

was thinking that upping the res would make games with low quality or muddy textures look even worse when the vaseline filter is removed... thinking Cursed Mountain, a game I recently enjoyed - but I really don't think it would benefit at all from upscaling. SMG on the other hand... :omg:

All the below are nicked from the GAF thread about the Wii emulator. So these are all Wii games (SMG, SSBB, Dead Space & REmake) running at a higher native res. I remember seeing some gorgeous SMG ones a while back, but I can only find one now.

http://i34.tinypic.com/8zee51.png

http://i38.tinypic.com/ifdcvl.jpg

http://i37.tinypic.com/30ml62r.png

http://i37.tinypic.com/316b75z.jpg

If it is coming they haven't let 3rd parties know.

bit like wii plus then.

i can't see nintendo releasing a new wii for years, much like the original gameboy, gba and ds etc. they will just milk this one console for years - however much hardcore gamers may want an HD mario - the masses don't and thats who they are chasing.

i can't see nintendo releasing a new wii for years, much like the original gameboy, gba and ds etc. they will just milk this one console for years - however much hardcore gamers may want an HD mario - the masses don't and thats who they are chasing.

thing is though, it's not like once they've sold a wii to every person who's part of "the masses" they're not still going to need to make money somehow. it's not unreasonable that they'll assess the last three years as a unique sales spike thanks to discovering an untapped market and then go back (or at least pay more attention) to looking at ways to exploit the reliable market that still wants a dozen high quality games a year.

might take a few years, yes.

I get the impression sometimes that only Iwata knows what's going on. The Vitality Sensor, for example - seemed to be entirely his own doing (notable that Reggie kept referring to it as 'Mr. Iwata's Vitality Sensor' as a distancing tactic). That said, such an adamant dismissal would suggest it's not on the cards for early next year, or indeed next year at all. But then again...

Whenever we got a dismissal about Nintendo not doing something, it was usually from a lower level representative from the compagny.

With the whole Wii HD thing being put to rest, you have the President of NOA saying NO.(not to mention Iwata has shown himself quite adamant to the idea of replacing console's within a 5 year lifespan).

Whenever we got a dismissal about Nintendo not doing something, it was usually from a lower level representative from the compagny.

With the whole Wii HD thing being put to rest, you have the President of NOA saying NO.(not to mention Iwata has shown himself quite adamant to the idea of replacing console's within a 5 year lifespan).

Just going off stuff Miyamoto's said recently, really. I think if PS3 continues to outsell Wii in Japan, that could well force Nintendo's hand.

Theres no way that Nintendo can launch a HD version now. Okay it could maybe upscale the existing games but how long would it take to make a brand new HD game for the wii thats not a port from the 360 or PS3? Two years maybe? And who would, outside of Nintendo, actually see a market for that on the wii that doesn't exist already on the PS3 or 360? Think of games like tombraider underworld and FIFA 10 which came out on the 360, PS3 and wii together - from VGchartz the sales have been

TRU 0.95m PS3, 0.8m 360, 0.3m wii

FIFA 10 1.6m PS3, 1.15m 360, 0.17m wii

Both games are good examples of where the wii remote adds no advantages and are they not party games either. The wii user base as a whole doesn't do these types of games. Think of dead space extraction on the wii which seems to be bombing. I bet EA would really be inclined to make a wii only HD game on the back of their experiences there.

The wii has unfortunately made its bed and slept with the great unwashed and now has to suffer the 'backlash' :lol:............... of continuing to sell 400,000 new consoles a week and continuing to sell wii sports resort, mario kart, mario & sonic and wii fit by the bucket load for ever and ever.

I work in application development, so I'm not oblivious to these things, but Nintendo have dug themselves a pretty big hole this time round:

http://hackmii.com/2009/02/why-the-wii-wil...get-any-better/

Read this and while I don't quite understand some of it, it sounds very shitty. Is this information been verified as how does one know all this stuff. Forgive my ignorance on this techy stuff. I love the idea of Nintendo's VC and Wiiware services much like XBLA, Community games and PSN but will the VC service be in jeapordy in the future? As in will VC/Wiiware games bought on my Wii be transferable to the Wii's successor or will there be backward compatibility issues with Wii games.

Read this and while I don't quite understand some of it, it sounds very shitty. Is this information been verified as how does one know all this stuff. Forgive my ignorance on this techy stuff. I love the idea of Nintendo's VC and Wiiware services much like XBLA, Community games and PSN but will the VC service be in jeapordy in the future? As in will VC/Wiiware games bought on my Wii be transferable to the Wii's successor or will there be backward compatibility issues with Wii games.

The way the Wii has been designed shouldn't affect its successor. I'm pretty sure the 360/PS3 disable the in-game XMB/NXE when you're playing a BC game. There's no reason Nintendo couldn't do the same with their next machine if that's something they're wanting to implement. Still, if Nintendo decide to move to a different architecture then BC might not be likely anyway.

Wii Shop purchases can be transferred to another Wii. Nintendo will only do it your console needs replaced when sent in for repair. It's possible that they'll introduce a way to move your purchases to a new machine whether it's a different Wii, or a Wii 2 later on.

The information comes from some of the most knowledgeable hackers on the Wii. These people have been able to make the Wii do things that it was never designed to do, like loading games from a USB HDD, running user code, etc. They have also been able to circumvent every single protection method implemented by Nintendo, so my guess is that these guys know what they're talking about as a significant amount of knowledge about the architecture would be required to achieve these things.

The trouble with all the VC stuff is that each and every game comes with its own emulator, they aren't just ROMs. Evidence again of the generally poor system design they went for this time round. Anyway, unless the next hardware is just beefed-up Wii architecture, then non of those VC games will work on the new system unless they fully emulate the Wii. In which case, you'll have two emulation layers for each game (an emulator running an emulator). Given the evidence that they can't even get the emulation right for even their oldest system (the NES) things are going to get quite messy if they go down this route. A more likely option would be that the new hardware has a set of universal emulators and they just read in the ROM part of each VC package.

The information comes from some of the most knowledgeable hackers on the Wii. These people have been able to make the Wii do things that it was never designed to do, like loading games from a USB HDD, running user code, etc. They have also been able to circumvent every single protection method implemented by Nintendo, so my guess is that these guys know what they're talking about as a significant amount of knowledge about the architecture would be required to achieve these things.

The trouble with all the VC stuff is that each and every game comes with its own emulator, they aren't just ROMs. Evidence again of the generally poor system design they went for this time round. Anyway, unless the next hardware is just beefed-up Wii architecture, then non of those VC games will work on the new system unless they fully emulate the Wii. In which case, you'll have two emulation layers for each game (an emulator running an emulator). Given the evidence that they can't even get the emulation right for even their oldest system (the NES) things are going to get quite messy if they go down this route. A more likely option would be that the new hardware has a set of universal emulators and they just read in the ROM part of each VC package.

You needn't have bothered with the rest since the last line is the obvious solution.

• 1 year later...

I think because we're fed up of Wii 2/Wii HD/Ultra Starcube/Whatever rumours that pop up every few weeks.

There's no point reporting on baseless rumour. Unless you're Morrius, of course. :rolleyes:

I could've written that article, by going off guesswork and common sense. Of course it'll be HD, of course it'll be more 'powerful' than the current crop of consoles, and it'll most likely be released in 2012 to give the 3DS some breathing space. Why is this news?

It's coming.

Gamers have been waiting years for Nintendo to finally release its Wii successor, and Game Informer has heard from multiple sources that the company will unveil it at E3 this summer if not sooner.

We have confirmed with multiple sources that this new home system is capable of running games at HD resolutions. There are conflicting reports, however, as to whether its graphics will be comparable to those on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 – meaning it could surpass or fall short of those systems. Either way it will offer competitive specifications. Moving to HD should greatly help Nintendo and its new console in getting more multi-platform triple-A titles like Portal 2 or Mortal Kombat. This, in turn, will strengthen Nintendo's historically poor relationship with third-party publishers/develope

Game Informer story

It will be entirely controlled by the vitality sensor. Games will now require zero effort whatsoever as the pad will have one button marked "Win". It will also constantly inform you in a nice but commanding tone of voice that you are having fun. Welcome to the Wii 2.

I could've written that article, by going off guesswork and common sense. Of course it'll be HD, of course it'll be more 'powerful' than the current crop of consoles, and it'll most likely be released in 2012 to give the 3DS some breathing space. Why is this news?

Get your deep insight gear around these amazing facts from the source article:

There are conflicting reports, however, as to whether its graphics will be comparable to those on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 - meaning it could surpass or fall short of those systems.

O RLY?