Nintendo to launch hetero gaming product

Jack

What we (as in the human race) don't get new things?

Nope.

Well, I'd like to know the semantic nit-picking or bizarre theory behind that claim.

Like I said, not here and now.

Been boggling my mind with perpetual motion and free energy theories all morning thanks to that thread about aviation fuel taxing over in OT.

Ouch.

Well, PM me when you have the time :-)

a gaming product that integrates/interfaces with other hardware vendors gaming components...

for example, a heterogenous network contains routers/switches from multi-vendors... in this case, the gaming product may be some kind of extension, bolt on to Sony/MS next gen products or something that works with them...

If you've an xbox, you could play cube games over xbox live? Dunno.. just finger in the air shit.

I think it's going to be some sort of gaming "chip" to be licenced to all sorts of manufacturers, in an effort to create a standard, which will pop up as a stand-alone Nintendo console, an extra in DVD players, graphics cards, etc.

OF course, I'm just making ridiculous guesses, Ryan's observation is probably right. Nintendo probably bought a thesaurus.

Because that was SUCH a success with the Dreamcast chip in Pace set-top-boxes :blink:

I think it's going to be some sort of gaming "chip" to be licenced to all sorts of manufacturers, in an effort to create a standard, which will pop up as a stand-alone Nintendo console, an extra in DVD players, graphics cards, etc.

OF course, I'm just making ridiculous guesses, Ryan's observation is probably right. Nintendo probably bought a thesaurus.

Because that was SUCH a success with the Dreamcast chip in Pace set-top-boxes :blink:

Did Pace ever mass produce them, or was it only a demo?

Nope, I'm done.

ah, so you were just talking out your ass then.

Nope, I assure you it all makes perfect sense to me.

I'm just givin' me lil head a rest.

Basically, we don't get new things. Everything we get we've already had but never realised it.

And this was about the 'it doesn't exist so it can't' thing anyway, which is a bit different.

If the big N could have released a ten-times-as-powerful-than-GC machine as a handheld then they would have. Or it would have been done before. Because they aren't silly.

Nope, I'm done.

ah, so you were just talking out your ass then.

Nope, I assure you it all makes perfect sense to me.

I'm just givin' me lil head a rest.

Basically, we don't get new things. Everything we get we've already had but never realised it.

And this was about the 'it doesn't exist so it can't' thing anyway, which is a bit different.

If the big N could have released a ten-times-as-powerful-than-GC machine as a handheld then they would have. Or it would have been done before. Because they aren't silly.

That makes no sense at all.

Supposing they had released the machine. Just BEFORE they released it, according to your argument, you would say they can't because they 'already would have'.

Of coure we get new things. When they are possible and when they are thought of and when they make sense.

Nintendo DEFINITELY could have released a vastly more powerful handheld than the GBA. They didn't because they didn't need to. The PSP (close to PS2 supposedly) changes that.

Supposing they had released the machine. Just BEFORE they released it, according to your argument, you would say they can't because they 'already would have'.

Well that would be right, wouldn't it?

They couldn't, until they did, when they could.

Of coure we get new things.

Nah, we just get different combinations of the same things we've always had.

Perhaps this is going off at a tangent though.

Nintendo DEFINITELY could have released a vastly more powerful handheld than the GBA. They didn't because they didn't need to.

Ah well my point of view was one that suggested if it was possible, then it would be done, and didn't consider any marketing tactics in the 'equation'.

Fair enough.

Though I stand by what I said in principle - if it were possible to make a handheld device that was that functional and that powerful and that affordable, then we would (most likely) already see some evidence of that sort of technology elsewhere, or around somewhere. And no, the PSP doesn't count as it is not 10x the power of a Gamecube.

Supposing they had released the machine.  Just BEFORE they released it,  according to your argument, you would say they can't because they 'already would have'.

It's not always about when it's possible it's about what is the right decision.

The GBA is not THAT powerful but it does the job and is cheap to produce. They didn't NEED to make the most powerful machine possible.

Things are changing. PSP will be very powerful but Sony (my guess) are trying to establish a standard that will be around for a long time and will eventually be very cheap to make. They will take a hit to start with and make profit in a few years.

Nintendo have always preferred to make profit NOW. That may have to change.

So by this argument, a caveman could have been playing on a Playstation...

The minerals in the metal already existed, just as the energy running through its power cells did too.

Someone just 'controlled' it thousands of years later. Then gave it a name.

..and I should already be enjoying a working Holo Deck as seen in those great documentaries of the future, Star Trek...

No, because those aren't real. Also, see above. :blink:

Supposing they had released the machine.  Just BEFORE they released it,  according to your argument, you would say they can't because they 'already would have'.

What the hell are you on about. Using your argument, before anything came out, you'd say it couldn't possibly come out, otherwise it would have already.

Nintendo announce the GameCube - "poppy-cock!" you say "if they really could have such a console, they'd have released it by now".

What planet do you live on?? (because I'd quite like to live there actually seeing as EVERYTHING EVER already exists there - just so long as you know it).

So by this argument, a caveman could have been playing on a Playstation...

The minerals in the metal already existed, just as the energy running through its power cells did too.

Someone just 'controlled' it thousands of years later. Then gave it a name.

..and I should already be enjoying a working Holo Deck as seen in those great documentaries of the future, Star Trek...

No, because those aren't real. Also, see above. :blink:

Now you are just being daft. Reductionist arguments like this are pointless.

We get new things ALL the time. No we don't actually MAKE THE ATOMS.

What the hell are you on about. Using your argument, before anything came out, you'd say it couldn't possibly come out, otherwise it would have already.

Well, if you ignored the 'purposely delaying the advancement of technology' reasons like I did, then that's precisely true.

What planet do you live on?? (because I'd quite like to live there actually seeing as EVERYTHING EVER already exists there - just so long as you know it).

It's called Earth. :blink:

What the hell are you on about.  Using your argument, before anything came out, you'd say it couldn't possibly come out, otherwise it would have already.

Well, if you ignored the 'purposely delaying the advancement of technology' reasons like I did, then that's precisely true.

It's not true at all. Although a Caveman could have gathered up all the elements necessary to make a PS2, ther eis no way at all what so ever that he would have had the technological know-how to make one.

New technologies have to be developed, and often at the start of the development process, at the specification stage, the final product may not be possible, but in theory the technology will be available when they get to that stage.

By the end of the development these things will be possible, but that doesn't mean that it would have been possible half way through the development process.

By your argument we're never going to see a PS3, XBox 2 or N5, as otherwise, we'd have them already.

That Jupiter probe thing that's due to be ready in about 10 years time - that'll never exist otherwise we'd have it already.

What the hell are you on about.  Using your argument, before anything came out, you'd say it couldn't possibly come out, otherwise it would have already.

It's not true at all. Although a Caveman could have gathered up all the elements necessary to make a PS2, ther eis no way at all what so ever that he would have had the technological know-how to make one.

New technologies have to be developed, and often at the start of the development process, at the specification stage, the final product may not be possible, but in theory the technology will be available when they get to that stage.

By the end of the development these things will be possible, but that doesn't mean that it would have been possible half way through the development process.

By your argument we're never going to see a PS3, XBox 2 or N5, as otherwise, we'd have them already.

That Jupiter probe thing that's due to be ready in about 10 years time - that'll never exist otherwise we'd have it already.

You're confusing my two arguments by joining them together. I never meant them to form as one.

1) New ideas are not tangiable. Knowedge expands and develops over time, but technology is simply a new way of doing something with something that already exists and has existed forever. Since "ways" aren't things, no"thing" new is ever made.

Right, ignore all that gubbins for a minute, I wanted to push that to one side ages ago!

2) If you run under the assumption that there is no need to delay any advancement in technology ever, and as soon as new technology is devised it will be released, then yes if Nintendo had the ability to do that then they would have.

We will see the N5/PS3/Xbox2 etc., but we don't see them now because they can't make them now.

We will see the N5/PS3/Xbox2 etc., but we don't see them now because they can't make them now.

WHICH IS THE WHOLE SODDING POINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So you're happy to accept that those consoles don't exists yet because they can't (even though, they actually probably could) but you're not happy to accept the same with the 10 speed GameCube handheld thingy?!