Nintendo to launch hetero gaming product

Jack

Anyway, John, do you really think such a device would be possible for a release next year?

What's about the battery life thing I mentioned, and the size of the device, and the heat it'd give off, and the price?

I just can't see it being possible.

Do you think the PSP is pushing what is possible to its limits? Realistically, I mean?

I not an engineer. The GC innards are small. I reckon they could make a handheld GC without two much trouble. As for the 10x - well IF they are going to make a combined handheld and main console (which was my suggestion - nothing more) then it would need to be at least a significant leap beyond the GC. If they keep the machine basically identical but just increase the performance that sounds at least plausible.

There no reason why the first version has to be as pocketable as the GBA. That would come a couple years down the road.

Probably unlikely.

I not an engineer.  The GC innards are small.  I reckon they could make a handheld GC without two much trouble.    As for the 10x  - well IF they are going to make a combined handheld and main console (which was my suggestion - nothing more) then it would need to be at least a significant leap beyond the GC.  If they keep the machine basically identical but just increase the performance that sounds at least plausible.

There no reason why the first version has to be as pocketable as the GBA.  That would come a couple years down the road.

Probably unlikely.

Okie dokie, I just assumed (oops!) that you meant pocket-sized, and that 10xas powerful meant twice the jump from N64->GC... which is why I was a bit stunned by that.

Anyways, ne'er mind.

Does anyone have a link for that guy who made his PSOne portable? That was well good. I think half the game CD stuck out of the back of it for those Texas Chainshaw Massacre moments.

I remember that! That was funny.

Don't have the link though.

I not an engineer. The GC innards are small. I reckon they could make a handheld GC without two much trouble.

But as with everything Portable it''s battery consumption that's the top priority. People seem to think that the GBA is "underpowered" and "old technology" but personally I think Nintendo approached it with the design spec of "it has to at least last 10 hours of a pair of AA batteries", and what you get for that is a portable SNES. Using rechargables is a good way of going beyond that these days, but I will rue the day I can't take my future Gameboy/PSP camping with me for a week without needed to find a AC power outlet.

Using rechargables is a good way of going beyond that these days, but I will rue the day I can't take my future Gameboy/PSP camping with me for a week without needed to find a AC power outlet.

Regargable and removable batteries are the way forwards.

My Sony Walkman is great! Lasts for ages, then I plug it into the wall for a bit and it's ready to go again. And I can put new batteries in when needed.

Regargable and removable batteries are the way forwards.

My Sony Walkman is great! Lasts for ages, then I plug it into the wall for a bit and it's ready to go again. And I can put new batteries in when needed.

Sure and my MP3 CD Walkman lasts 52 hours on a pair of AA, but gaming is alot more power intensive than a Walkman. Removable rechargable packs will be nice, but if they're priced like they are for mobiles, very expensive.

Removable rechargable packs will be nice, but if they're priced like they are for mobiles, very expensive.

Are removable packs more expensive than built in (like the GBA SP) ones then?

Dunno. All I know is that a replacement battery pack for my mobile is fucking expensive.

See that handheld and home console in one thing is what I thought a way back. I reckon it'd be great if they had a main hub (the new cube) you kept at home and loaded your discs and carts into, and via the hub under your telly you can transfer them ipod style to the pad which you can carry around with you away from home as it would just be a big fat harddrive with the processors and ram etc. (don't ask me if that would work I have no idea you see) And of course seeing as I mentioned ipod it would have to be designed in conjunction with apple. So the home hub would be styled all like a titanium version of apples cube, and the pad (the new gameboy) would be like the ipod.

Now that would be great.

See that handheld and home console in one thing is what I thought a way back. I reckon it'd be great if they had a main hub (the new cube) you kept at home and loaded your discs and carts into, and via the hub under your telly you can transfer them ipod style to the pad which you can carry around with you away from home as it would just be a big fat harddrive with the processors and ram etc. (don't ask me if that would work I have no idea you see) And of course seeing as I mentioned ipod it would have to be designed in conjunction with apple. So the home hub would be styled all like a titanium version of apples cube, and the pad (the new gameboy) would be like the ipod.

Now that would be great.

It would be more like a Gameboy with a A\V Out socket.

Removable rechargable packs will be nice, but if they're priced like they are for mobiles, very expensive.

Are removable packs more expensive than built in (like the GBA SP) ones then?

Well, It's more expensive to spend extra time designing, say, the method of removal of the batteries than it is to keep them permenantly in the device. Also, the mechanisms for locking a battery pack into position and maintaining connections are an added expense to design and implement.

On the other hand, mobile manufacturers charge whatever that fuck they like for all their stuff, so the extra cost for a mobile battery sure as hell wouldn't be indicative of the added cost of a Game Boy battery pack.

I'm sure that you could if you took apart your GBA and started hooking up a set of batteries in serial, and you could use the charger if you hooked up a set of the same batteries as the GBA uses (NiMH?). Power is power, but different batteries need to be charged in different ways...