IGNORED

The Low Carb/Paleo recipe thread

Davros sock drawer

Completely grass fed organic stuff just costs a fortune, IMO. Given that it's only partially corn fed I really don't think it's worth worrying about or shelling out for (unless you can easily afford it).

http://www.donaldrussell.com/highlights/selection-boxes/the-butchers-classics-d1039.html

15-18 servings (so that's 15 then, in my experience), with free delivery, for £39 = just over £2.50 per meal. A lot of DR stuff definitely is expensive, but if you stick to the specials it works out very reasonable and the quality of the meat is different league to supermarkets. They're currently doing 1.2 kilo pork belly for less than a tenner.

(I'm not a Donald Russell plant, honest)

Of course, Christ knows what constitutes "beef".

True dat.

http://www.donaldrus...sics-d1039.html

15-18 servings (so that's 15 then, in my experience), with free delivery, for £39 = just over £2.50 per meal. A lot of DR stuff definitely is expensive, but if you stick to the specials it works out very reasonable and the quality of the meat is different league to supermarkets. They're currently doing 1.2 kilo pork belly for less than a tenner.

(I'm not a Donald Russell plant, honest)

Fair enough, although I don't think that would be 15 servings me for me.

I can't get that sort of value personally as I don't have very much fridge space. I take your point, though.

http://www.donaldrus...sics-d1039.html

15-18 servings (so that's 15 then, in my experience)

2 Sirloin Steaks, individually packed (pack weight 210g) 2 portions

4 Fillet Medallions, 1 pack of 2 (pack weight 140g) 1 portion

8 Pork Sausages, 2 packs of 4 (pack weight 280g) 2 portions

4 Classic Steak Burgers, 1 pack of 4 (pack weight 480g) 2 portions

12 Mini Steak Burgers, 2 packs of 6 (pack weight 270g) 2 portions

I make it 9. :D

You're even more of a pig than me! But yeah, I should have checked the contents before posting it. I'd probably get 11 meals from that, I reckon.

I tend not to buy the selection packs as their steaks are generally pretty expensive (albeit very good). I'm trying to be reasonably frugal with my meat expenditure at the moment, so I've been eating loads of their pot roasts recently, which were about £11. They quoted 4-6 servings, and I was actually getting four meals from them, so that was very good value. I also got some superbly tender steak strips for £5.50 a pack - each pack made two meals, and I made a lovely beef curry with it.

By being choosy and waiting for free delivery codes I use Donald Russell as an affordable way to stock up on some good stuff every now & then. I don't use them as my primary source as a) they are more expensive than I can afford for most stuff, and b) I like supporting local butchers, and enjoy popping in to see what takes my fancy.

• 2 weeks later...

Mushrooms, chopped and fried in butter. Throw in some ground black pepper, chopped/crushed garlic, a bit of salt. Cover in double cream (or sour cream/creme fraiche for an alternative.) Leave on a low heat for a bit, until it thickens a little.

Fucking amazing garlic mushrooms are the result. Enjoy.

Continuing my quest for the ultimate breakfast sweet potatoes:

79MOR.jpg

Sweet potato with bacon, onion, chilli & garlic; baked for a few mins with some cheese on top; then topped with parsley & coriander. Just lovely.

Thanks for posting this, I tried it this morning and it was fucking lovely. I boiled the sweet potato and then kinda mashed it a bit once it had been fried with everything else.

IMG_3339.jpg

Yep, it's a superb brekkie, and so easy to do. You can alternate lardons/bacon/sausage, and I often tweak it with/without paprika & tabasco for a little extra kick. You appear to have a similarly huge portion to my one: I hope it went down in a single sitting.

:) Yeah man it did. I'm going to make it again tomorrow. Some Tabasco would be perfect for a little kick. Yeah, I ate that all in one sitting. I won't lie I wish I had made more. It was one large potato, 5 rashers, one large onion and 3 big cloves of garlic. I seasoned and added 1 teaspoon of dried chili, which really brought out the other flavours. Stupidly I have a fresh coriander plant sitting on the window ledge, which would have added a really nice earthy tone to it. roll on tomorrows breakfast.

4 for me...

Loving your pictures btw Blue, looks tasty as fuark.

Continuing my quest for the ultimate breakfast sweet potatoes:

79MOR.jpg

Sweet potato with bacon, onion, chilli & garlic; baked for a few mins with some cheese on top; then topped with parsley & coriander. Just lovely.

This looks great. Are there places to find recipes for this sort of thing?

I love to cook but am very much a recipe follower!

I have another superb brekkie: cowboy breakfast skillet. It's basically fried sausage & sweet potato, and then you break a few eggs into it and bake for a few minutes to cook the eggs. Add a load of avacado & coriander, sprinkle over some cheese and a little chilli, and you're good to go. It was a bit different, and really great.

oGOR3.jpg

I had mine with bacon, obviously:

YxXjz.jpg

(I then went back and ate the all of the remainders in a single sitting)

That, as well, looks superb!

Does it take a bit of getting used to eating this sort of thing for brekkie instead of cereal?

Also, do you just do this at weekends? What do you eat during the week?

Yeah; weekends only - although if I somehow don't pig it all at the weekend then I might have some leftovers on the Monday morning. But really most midweek days I tend not to eat brekkie as I'm just not hungry since I ditched bread and cereal. The exception is when I know I'm playing tennis that night: then I will have a large bowl of full fat greek yoghurt with some fruit in to start the day.

As for those recipes:

- http://www.ourbestbi...kfast-potatoes/

- http://www.health-be...eakfast-skillet

I've tweaked them both a bit, but that's a good start-point. Obviously with the first one I use Sweet Potatoes instead of regular ones.

There are dozens of amazing food blogs for this type of eating. http://nomnompaleo.com/ is a pretty impressive place to start though.

Does it take a bit of getting used to eating this sort of thing for brekkie instead of cereal?

Forgot to reply to this bit.

Um, a little. I had always been one for pigging out with a fry-up at the weekend, but I found it a little tough to stop my Mon-Fri fix of Weetabix. It took a week to adapt I guess, but now it's all perfectly normal to me (I've been paleo for about six months)