IGNORED

The Low Carb/Paleo recipe thread

Davros sock drawer

• 3 weeks later...

Kangaroo was surprisingly nice. Very lean so just a flash cooking on each side. Had one steak rare and one medium, both good. Nicely tender but with a bit of bite, good flavour without being too strong or gamey. Unlike any other meat I've had so hard to describe. Would eat again.

Yeah, Kangaroo is very nice, I think. My favourite ever steak was Zebra, bought from a butcher in Lincoln, whose name I've unfortunately forgotten but who stock all sorts of unusual stuff such as ostrich eggs, snake, crocodile and so on.

Stay away from Kangaroo burgers though. It's so lean that unless they've had fat added they're awfully dry.

Kangaroo was surprisingly nice. Very lean so just a flash cooking on each side. Had one steak rare and one medium, both good. Nicely tender but with a bit of bite, good flavour without being too strong or gamey. Unlike any other meat I've had so hard to describe. Would eat again.

I bought these from Lidl a few of times, and they were incredibly similar to beef rump in terms of texture, and quite similar in terms of taste, though with a mild game/irony element. I'd had kangaroo years back, and it had been dry and stringy, but these were great. Had them rare and medium rare, and they're a really good substitute for beef should you want a change.

Definitely recommended - after 3 purchases, I haven't had any that turned out less than very good.

• 2 months later...

If you eat paleo you have to get a Julienne Peeler. Courgette spaghetti is the best thing ever. :)

My current favourite is to get 2 x good quality chorizo sausages, and cut up & roast in a dish for 30 mins with loads of garlic, onions, peppers, chilli and tomatoes. The oil from the chorizo coats everything in this gorgeous oily gloup. Meanwhile bake a load of kale with oil, salt & pepper for 10 mins. Save a bit to have as a topping, and stick the rest in with the chorizo-gloup and blitz in a food processor to make a 'pasta' sauce. Quickly sautee the courgette spaghetti and serve the gloup on top. Delicious, easy & very filling.

Another thing I've discovered: www.paleocupboard.com/granola.html - this is superb on its own, but with a sliced banana and some double cream it's just amazing.

• 1 month later...

Will be doing this diet in next few days. I need to lose weight so I can dance easier so this means high proteins and low carbio diet.

So what fruit and vegetables are ok to eat and avoid.

Can't have orange/lemon/lime due to migraine.

Peas ?
Carrotts ?

Red Pepper ?

Tomatoes ?

Chopped Tomatoes in Tin ?
Onions ?
Garlic ?
Ginger ?
Celery ?

Lettuce ?
Cucumber ?
Apples (Granny Smith) ?
Banana
Red Seedless Grapes ?
Strawberries ?

Kiwi Fruits ?
Pineapples ?

Any other recommendation.
Is there a healthy Ice Cream ?

Red Pepper

Tomatoes

Chopped Tomatoes in Tin

Onions

Garlic

Ginger

Celery

Lettuce

Cucumber

Strawberries

Are the ones I'd focus on, but you can have some of all of them. General rule is that fruit has more carbs, but tomatoes and cucumber and peppers are an exception.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

They sell that bulletproof coffee in a coffee chain in London (can't rember the name), it costs something like £5 for a regular cup. Fucking madness.

Its actually really nice.

Not £5 a cup nice.

I've tried it at home before and it's OK, but I agree that cream is nicer. I think the whole point of bulletproof coffee is the fact that it can be drunk whilst intermittent fasting.

I can't stand Dave Asprey though, he's such a money grabbing asshole.

• 1 year later...

It turned out pretty well. I could lift the base up after the initial bake and it held together.

S5Vi88P.jpg

Let it cool for a few minutes and then added toppings...

LmAwLMi.jpg

ZfpsuD3.jpg

dLWLIzW.jpg

Then back in the oven for about 15 minutes.

QLJuMc4.jpg

The toppings seemed to add a fair bit of liquid (either the watercress or the mushrooms), but it still came out OK after baking. Definitely a good recipe to have in the cupboard.