Games and Films which are too similar

Down by Law

Deadly Premonition and Twin Peaks have a lot in common. The basic premise of an FBI agent sent in to investigate a murder in a small northern US town is the same. The police station in Deadly Premonition is almost identical too. Also, they both feature Cherry Pie. There are a massive number of similarities. They're both amazing too.

I found that Avatar the videogame was uncomfortably close to Avatar the movie. Quite how they got away with such a blatent rip off is beyond me.

Heavy Rain / Mystic River

Only Mystic River (2003) is a much better film than HR, which may be an unfair criticism but when you start out wanting to make an interactive videogame to rival a movie experience thats where the comparison should be made.

On this note Pacman/Seven.

Seven does put across the sociopathic issues of the main bad guy much better though, as you never really get a feel for WHY they want Pacman dead other than he steals their drug supply and fruit.

i always thought it was interesting how CoD references viral videos and not just movies

eg this video of

Camino Del Rey, Spain (skip to about 01:20) vs Afghan in MW2, or the whole gunship bit of MW1 that lifts dialogue directly out of videos from iraq/afghanistan

probably best not to watch that video if you're scared of heights, by the way

Mafia and Mafia II nick loads of stuff from Chucklevision. I mean, Goodfellas.

It's ok in the first one because, well, that's what games were like in 2001. It's a bit jarring in the second, though. Selling cigarettes out of a truck then going to bury a bartender your hot-tempered friend accidentally murdered, etc. etc.

Red Dead Revolver had a level where you had to blow up a bridge by tying dynamite to it whilst being shot at. It's almost identical to a scene from The Good The Bad & The Ugly. That was fantastic.

Red Dead Redemption reminded me all the way through of The Wild Bunch http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065214/

This was a good thing as it's one of my favourite Westerns and RDR has ended up being one of my favourite videogames.

It's inevitable that this will happen as we're influenced by what we experience and, through our artistic endeavours (be it writing, painting, art or games design) we reflect our influences. It's fairly obvious in a lot of FPS games that the action movie genre is prevalent and without Lord of The Rings (the novel as opposed to the film), things like World of Warcraft wouldn't exist. It's not a negative issue for me as you get some fabulous games made from the influence of cinema.

My favourite example of movies influencing games though is the disclaimer on Dead Rising that this has nothing at all to do with Dawn of The Dead :lol: