The Games of Christmas Past...

roberthazelby

Missed one:

Final Fantasy 7 (PlayStation) - Again I had waited such a long time for the game that when I finally started playing it, it was something very special. Bought it the day it came out and had that night to play it before it got packed up for Christmas. My friend came round and we played it together all night before finally getting out of Migar. Realising that I was rushing through the game as always, I decided it was a good idea to stop and save the enjoyment for Christmas day. That must've been one of the longest two weeks Ive ever had. I don't really see the appeal of FF7 much anymore and have never played through it again (stopped on disc 3 for donkeys), but at that christmas it was the best game ever, ever.

A few from me.....

1983 : Radar Rat Race (c64)

1985 : Elite (c64)

1987 : Boulderdash Construction Kit (c64)

1988 : Outrun (c64) .......oops

1990 : ThunderBlade (amiga)

1991 : Sonic (MS)

1992 : Streetfighter 2 (SNES)

1994 : Secret Of Mana (SNES)

1995 : Thunderhawk 2 (PSX)

1996 : Sega Rally (Saturn)

1997 : Gran Turismo (PSX)

2000 : Shenmue (DC)

2001 : SSX Tricky (PS2)

2002 : Robotech : Battlecry (XB)

christ.....that was really hard work........

BTW SeanR I was thinking of that same Blade Runner quote today.........

A few from me.....

1983 : Radar Rat Race (c64)

1985 : Elite (c64)

1987 : Boulderdash Construction Kit (c64)

1988 : Outrun (c64) .......oops

1990 : ThunderBlade (amiga)

1991 : Sonic (MS)

1992 : Streetfighter 2 (SNES)

1994 : Secret Of Mana (SNES)

1995 : Thunderhawk 2 (PSX)

1996 : Sega Rally (Saturn)

1997 : Gran Turismo (PSX)

2000 : Shenmue (DC)

2001 : SSX Tricky (PS2)

2002 : Robotech : Battlecry (XB)

christ.....that was really hard work........

BTW SeanR I was thinking of that same Blade Runner quote today.........

Your missing a few years there. Really you hate games don't you ? ;)

The Christmas I received this NES game called... what was it?... Zelda? I forget. Also, Bart Vs. The Space Mutants - I loved that to bits. Oh, and getting Micro Machines 2 for Christmas was a definite highlight... wowee!

I must admit to never doing an insin, as it's going to be known from now ;)

I can remember a few.

1984: Some horrible Oric-1 games.

1987: Thundercats and Moley Christmas on the Speccy.

(Next few years are a blank.)

1991: A fucking Atari Lynx with shit games. Thanks dad.

1992: A few Amiga games, nothing memorable.

1993: Street Fighter II Turbo

1994: Secret of Mana, Donkey Kong Country, Super Metroid, and not forgetting Aladdin for the Amiga. My favourite gaming Christmas, if only for Mana.

1995: Bugger all.

1996: Kirby's Fun Pak, F-Zero/Killer Instinct bundle, GB Bomb Jack.

1997: Goldeneye and Diddy Kong Racing.

1998: Pokemon Blue and Ocarina of Time.

1999: Donkey Kong 64

2000: Majora's Mask. I got Pokemon Silver too, but never played it.

2001: Nothing...

2002: Metroid Fusion (though I only played it on Boxing Day, and didn't pick it up again until mid-July this year.)

I can't remember the years these happened, what with being an old git in my 30s.

First proper console (apart from the old Binatone Pong type thing)

Atari 2600 VCS - Got the Pac Man cartridge with it (worst.. conversion.. ever) and also "Adventure" which I never managed to finish

Spectrum era - Christmas was full of Zzoom, Jetpac and I think Atic Atac too..Maybe 3d Ant Attack as well.

Vectrex - Scramble and Spike, and the game that was built in.

Commodore 64 era - Can't remember, I know I got an official Commodore bundle which had some programming language thing and a Thunderbirds game in it (it was shit) but my mates had loads of copied games so there was plenty fun to be had. The one that sticks in my mind was Mr Do's Castle.

PS1 - Tekken and Wipeout. Long, long into the night/early morning (especially Tekken)

PS2 - SSX Tricky, GT3, Jak and Daxter

This year, SSX3 and Soul Calibur 2 - Can't wait!

Prior to all that lot, electronic entertainment at Christmas came in the form of "Merlin", "Simon", and "Tin Can Alley" - You kid's don't know you're born (grumble grumble)

I've had plenty other consoles/computers too, but never got them around Christmas like I did the ones above. Rainbow Islands on my Amiga 500 was a favourite for a long time though, as was Secret of Mana on the SNES.

Oh happy days....

Rory

God, I cant remember the years I got them, but here's mine:

Mortal Kombat 1 [megadrive], i remember really begging my mum to get me this, she kept saying it was too violent but when christmas day arrived she gave in, i was so happy, ABACABB anyone?

Lemmings [MD] Again, after playing this on my friends amiga (and despretely wanting an amiga 600, simply for this game) I got the MD version, i even got about 4/5ths of the way through! took some playing.

Fatal Labyrinth [MD] I didnt want this game, (i propbably wanted something ultra violent) but my mum got me this instead (probably based on the front cover art alone), its a pretty naff game but really, really reminds me of christmas, i actually completed it on MAME recently, for the first time.

Ridge Racer [PS1] God, this was amazing, best christmas ever, sitting with my brand spanking new playstation, that lump of large grey plastic was great.

Red Alert (command and conquer 2) - brilliant follow up to the amazing C&C, i couldnt wait to get this installed, although it ran at a snails pace on my old computer!

and lastly, DOOM on my first pc, the reason i wanted a PC, of course the "real" reason was to "do work for school" hahaha!

d