Need for Speed: The Run - 18 Nov, 2011

The Sarge

The 2 hours thing confirms my fears from the demo. The map had about 12 checkpoints from East to West coast. The hope was each would be split into smaller events, I'm guessing that's not the case.

No matter really as my pre-order was cancelled following the demos release.

It doesn't run badly as such. But i only count about 10 levels.

I mean, and i don't want to sound sarcastic, you may be able to do them in reverse. And go back to Cali again.

I..i don't know.

But the single race mode shows something like 10 levels. It may be less actually but they're all locked.

In fact...i can't appear to get off the first level. I've set the game to hard mode (there is harder mode which is locked).

I think EA said something like this game would take the NFS franchise to "the next level".

"the next level".

I just want you all to think about that.

*edit*

would appear each level has 6 or so sub levels or "sections". Handling wise...well...if you liked any of the NFS Urban/Yoof/World games you'll be happy.

Lets get some facts in here. There are 10 stages between the cities you go to and each stage is split into race events (over 70-odd in total). As you race and complete each stage it totals your time so when you get to the end of the story mode it will be in the 2-3hr mark. However if you fail a stage then you'll need to retry it until you pass, so, unless you're playing on Easy or are just super damn good right from the off then you can expect the story mode to take a lot longer.

Basically the "2 hours gameplay" being banded around is complete bollocks.

And then of course there's the Autolog 'Challenge Series' mode for beating friend's times and the multiplayer racing.

Right. But its not 3000 miles. Thats the real distance those cocks at EA bandied about.

The 10 races are divded into stages of 4, 5 or 6 races.

That said it does feel like a true NFS game IE an orignal point to point - you never redo a section as such so it feels more like NFS 1 (which had 3 races with 3 sections each).

I've got to say, each one has a shitloads of texture and object detail.

EG San Fran basically has lots of data for the city, but you don't really see any of it. When you drive over The Golden Gate Bridge for example you can see quite a lot of building detail but never driver near the builings.

Sounds like they should have taken a leaf out of Motorstorm Apocalypse's book, where you race the same courses multiple times but they keep it fresh by having a different character and events. So they could have had you do "The Run" three times with different protagonists (and different event types for each, of course). I don't normally like artificial means of lengthening a game time, but it's more acceptable for a racing game.

Sounds like they should have taken a leaf out of Motorstorm Apocalypse's book, where you race the same courses multiple times but they keep it fresh by having a different character and events. So they could have had you do "The Run" three times with different protagonists (and different event types for each, of course). I don't normally like artificial means of lengthening a game time, but it's more acceptable for a racing game.

Coming soon for Need For Speed: The Run...

Exclusive DLC that more that triples the story length.

For 580 Microsoft Points players can now extend the life of the game by buying the SMART Pack.

Instead of using the worlds fastest street cars, they can now hop into a SMART Car and enjoy the scenery as they travel cross country.

In this revolutionary DLC pack, travelling from San Francisco to New York will now take three times as long, making sure players get real value for money.

**Please note, some players may end up buying packs for FIFA 12 for other users. EA Accept no responsibility for this**

I think you'll like it.

It honestly reminds me of the first game in the series and all the point to point'ers, but like Karzee suggests up the level to hard mode.

There's none of that "going over the same ground" thing you get in the series based around city maps. I'm sure some of the levels (or assets or rather...ideas) have been stolen from Hop Pursuit but i could be wrong.

To give you some idea...well its a 15gb install.

Oh and it features trains.

Sadly (and being geographically anal) the Goldern Gate bridge is wrong - its been extended to three double Cantelivers(!) and looks funny. That said, it looks impressive as well. Just REALLY long.

*edit*

Oh...the handling IS meh. Hot Pursuit kills it for drifting fun.

Giant Bomb - Review

While there's certainly a great idea at the core of the experience, Need for Speed: The Run instead comes off like some kind of tragedy. The end may set up for a direct sequel to The Run, but unless that's going to include a complete overhaul of every single system, I can't imagine anyone wanting to see that come to fruition. It's a shame, too, because after years of slowly floundering, last year's Need for Speed breathed new life into the long-running franchise. Now, whoever's developing next year's game is starting out with the same depressing deficit we saw back in Need for Speed: Undercover.

Sad to see this turning out to be not so great, I love the idea of a Cannonball Run style racing game.

If you want an arcadey racing/driving game I highly recommend to anyone Driver San Francisco. Absolutely brilliant brilliant game. I can't recommend it enough for arcade racing/driving fans. You can get it brand new for a dirt cheap price since hardly any fucker bought it.

• 2 weeks later...

I played the 360 demo for all of two minutes and got bored of the handling. I thought I'd try it again a few weeks later, only to discover the demo had somehow expired?! So that was it - deleted it and moved on.

I don't think I'll bother with this, even if it does fall into the bargain bin.

• 3 weeks later...

This really is the drizzling shits and EA should be ashamed to have put it out after last year's excellent Hot Pursuit. I knew it had reviewed badly, but I needed something on my rental list before I embark on Skyrim for the Christmas holiday and I thought a game I could polish off in about 3 hours would do. But it's probably going to go straight back. The high performance sports cars feel more like controlling particularly unwieldy Milk Floats. The behaviour of the enemy cars is bizzare, they seem to arbitrarily speed up and slow down on a whim, you'll pass someone easily, drive perfectly for ages and then they'll suddenly zoom past you until you get closer to the end when they'll decide they're a Sunday Driver again. I assume it's a woefully misguided attempt at exciting competitive AI. On a race just now it suddenly wrenched control away from me and went into slo-mo so it could display an intrusive instruction pop-up, when I regained control it had steered me right in front of a boulder and I wrecked the car. There are resets you can use, but they take so long to reload you that you'll dread having to use them. If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go play Mario kart 7 now to wash the taste out of my mouth.

Yup, it's ground up dog eggs with not so much as a sprig of holly on top to hide the steaming pile that it is. No set piece moments aside from the avalanche level demoed and a fairly infuriating bit at the end, but it was the auto-resets which finished it for me. It's fairly random as to how sensitive it actually is, but for some sections, you're wheels only need dip off the track the smallest amount for you to be reset.

A genuinely awful game, which is undoubtedly my biggest let down of the year.

Completed this last week, as with many the game length was by far the most disappointing factor. Strangely enough though, I think the concept behind the game is superb. It "could" have been a modern re-take on Outrun; sadly the emphasis on QTEs, a story, gated progression and a lengthy loading screen after each event completely spoiled it. I also wouldn't mind a Need for Speed game that makes me feel like I'm the one handling the car rather than funnelling me between two walls.

The game would have been far better making players re-do a scaled down A to B race that doesnt trigger loading screens and can be checkpointed. Progressively better cars and alternate routes with ghost cars of other players as opponents would have emphasised exploration and replay value to get better scores or informed racing lines.

For those interested in it, pick it up....on the cheap. You will see what could have been or do EA a favour and not buy it, punishing them for trying to shine a shit.