Assassin’s Creed: Revelations

The Sarge

So they've not messed up any core gameplay have they? Brotherhood is one of my favourite games of the generation. The basic running, climbing, fighting and stealth is excellent and I assume it still is. I found all the different gameplay elements gelled really well and made a hugely compelling whole. Aside from a couple of mis-steps in Revelations, does this still hold? I'm not expecting any great innovations.

How about the story missions? Thinking back on Brotherhood, there were some duffers in there, but it generally had more open and stealth-based missions than the previous games. How does ACR stack up?

The core game's the same as Brotherhood, there's just an extra layer to pretty much everything; the hookblade for traversal, bombs for stealth, territorial control for the recruitment aspect, etc. It doesn't really fix any of the last game's annoyances, but it doesn't break anything either.

One new addition that I really like is the Stalker enemy class. They bring a bit of the multiplayer's feel back into the campaign, and whilst I haven't come across that many each small encounter has helped to spice things up.

AssBro was really just an RPG, at heart. It reminded me of the Yakuza series, only the core was more substantial, giving the various side quests and challenges more heft. That said, I was just as happy idling around the countryside on horseback, admiring how beautiful the game looked. I was a little sad once I'd hit 100% synch, cos I knew it wouldn't be the same going back.

Multiplayer really is brilliant, too. A breath of fresh air amidst a sea of first-person shooter stuff.

Is it true they've taken horse riding out for Revelations? Major bummer, if so. I also read on Eurogamer that the platform/puzzle-style segments (followers of Romulus, Templar Lairs) aren't nearly as good in Revelations. I really hope not, because they were easily my favourite parts of ACII and AssBro.

Is it true they've taken horse riding out for Revelations? Major bummer, if so.

I'd be pleased with that. Horseback was a lame method of getting around compared to free-running (especially in built up areas) so I'd be pleased if they've done away with that in favour of zip-lining or whatever.

I'll be happy if the core game is basically the same as I can't think of anything that annoyed me about Brotherhood. Apart from the fact there was never any sense of peril, but that's a hallmark of the series now.

I'd be pleased with that. Horseback was a lame method of getting around compared to free-running (especially in built up areas) so I'd be pleased if they've done away with that in favour of zip-lining or whatever.

Well yeah, it goes without saying that riding a horse in built-up areas defeats the object. I suppose what I'm asking is, does ACR have lots of countryside, like AssBro?

AssBro?

Heh heh. Heh. Heh heh heh. AssBro.

Got me my collector's edition yesterday :D

Won't be able to start it til tomorrow :(

I'm like pob though, i'm so gay for AC, I relish a yearly update even if it's just a new city with the same gameplay. Hopefully the tower defence won't wreck my buzz too much.

Think I might get this today... Was wanting Skyrim but it's completely in German, and CoD MW3 doesn't appeal.

I'm just a little apprehensive about dropping cash on it, especially after all the lukewarm reviews and posts on here.

Anyone really enjoying it?

I love Assassins Creed and while I am enjoying this, there are problems with it. Right now I only care for the story to see how it's wrapped up. Maybe because I just recently finished Batman and now I'm playing Skyrim at the same time as this, so the enjoyment of this is less.

The tower defence stuff is woeful, whoever thought that would be a good idea is a massive cock. This inclusion is the problem with the game. There is nothing new or exciting with this, same old stuff we saw in Brotherhood but with pointless features added.

All I'm doing now is rushing through the main story as quick as possible. Which so far is great and I'm loving the Altair segments. There is nothing terribly wrong with the game, apart from the tower defence stuff. It's just more of the same. Still a lot of fun to be had.

Based on my first few hours, l agree with CactuarBill. I'm a big fan of the AC universe, so l bought the Animus Edition. No regrets. The encyclopedia is gorgeous. Lovely hardcover, tons of info and amazing art. Unfortunately, the game made less of an impression. I still love the lore, the characters and the historical cities, but this just doesn't do it for me so far. It's generally the same as the previous games, but l expect a little more now. It doesn't help that l played UC3 and Arkham City prior to this. The first setpiece moment pales compared to those in Naughty Dog's latest and the mechanics feel archaic compared to those in Arkham City. Everytime l had to fight guards l wish l was Batman, wiping the floor wih thugs in beatifully fluid fashion. I'll soldier on, but l feel it's definitely time for Ubi to shake things up with AC Ill.

I had intended to spend an hour a night on this and do a timeshare between it and Skyrim. That didn't happen and I spent all last night as Ezio, stabbing Turks in the throat and climbing around a bit. Slightly surprised at how quickly things are unlocking (the second area opens up in the second memory sequence, and it's massive) but I've got no further complaints with the game at all. It's Assassin's Creed, and I love it.

Having purposefully spent a bit more time with the tower defence system — whilst bypassing it on my way through the story — it's actually gone up a bit in my estimations. Not that I'd class it as a great inclusion, but once you unlock a few more units it becomes a lot more fun; before that I was getting up to the siege units and then having them destroy me instantly.

That said I'd rather they didn't take another stab at it as I don't think the idea really fits the IP. If they want to include some sort of strategy minigame the assassin training missions would be the place to do it, though: at the moment I feel it's bit too much like menu-based busywork, so if units had different strengths and abilities it would at least make assigning tasks a bit less mindless.

Anyway, this is a really good Assassin's Creed game. Of all of them it's the most redundant — it's more about filling in backstory than actual revelations — but it does some interesting stuff, makes a few genuinely positive adjustments and as good as, if not better than, Brotherhood.

I'd say it's main failings were not having a clear antagonist for most of the game, getting off to a rather slow start and being bookended with novelty rather than spreading it out more evenly. I also feel they could have done quite a lot more with Subject 16 and Desmond's "memories"; on the whole I thought they were pretty well done, but I'd have preferred something a bit more akin to Mirror's Edge with abstract puzzles rather than the route they took.

Is it true they've taken horse riding out for Revelations? Major bummer, if so. I also read on Eurogamer that the platform/puzzle-style segments (followers of Romulus, Templar Lairs) aren't nearly as good in Revelations. I really hope not, because they were easily my favourite parts of ACII and AssBro.

Yup, no horses. And the platform/puzzle segments are now (mostly) linear action sequences reminiscent of Uncharted. They're fun, and exciting, but there's nothing to match Brotherhood's The Sixth Day Romulus lair.

I'm slightly surprised people are enjoying the Altair bits. They're interesting from a story perspective, and the very last one is quite poignant, but as missions they're painfully uninspired. One of them - the third, I think - is quite good, mind.

And the platform/puzzle segments are now (mostly) linear action sequences reminiscent of Uncharted. They're fun, and exciting, but there's nothing to match Brotherhood's The Sixth Day Romulus lair.

That's a shame. I mean, is it just me who thought these segments were a highlight of the series? Why would they take them out? Climbing around is never more rewarding than when you've actually got to think about your next move. I think there was a couple of isolated spots in the original where this applied, but it wasn't till ACII where they actually decided to make something of it.

Actually, I disliked them in AC2 and Brotherhood, so the simplification of the platforming sections in Revelations has been a plus for me.

Anyway, I got the game Tuesday afternoon, for review, so spent two and a half days playing solidly to finish it and take in as much of the extra fluff that characterises the series as possible.

I really, really liked it. It's not as important as its predecessors, building on the mechanics of the series far less than AC2 or Brotherhood did, but it's just as good. It cuts out some of the chaff (horse-riding, overblown platforming segments), introduces some of its own (the out of place tower defence sections), but really goes to town with its four-pronged storytelling - Ezio's story, Altair's backstory, Desmond's backstory and the present day framing all come together very well, making this the most compulsive game in the series in terms of narrative.

Constantinople is also gorgeous - by far my favourite city in the AC series to explore, and that counts for an awful lot in this series. Just gorgeous, filled with detail and character. Not just the outdoors either, with one of the derelict religious buildings you get to enter being the first in a game I've walked into that's given me that 'whoa' feeling as I entered it, really getting the sense of the size of the thing.

Meanwhile, the toys that have been added - the hook blade and bombs - add a surprising amount. The hookblade helps you get around even more freely than before (and the ziplines allow for speedier movement across the city when desired), while the bombs really open up your options for manipulating the guards when infiltrating areas/escaping/attacking groups. It's just a shame that most of the story missions in the game remain frustratingly linear - being given so many options and methods to go about your business, and then being forced along linear paths to approach your targets in limited ways seems a missed opportunity.

Desmond's missions are unique, and while a bit tedious to control, the imagination in the visuals and level design is quite something, and it's well worth playing through all of them.

Altair's are probably the weakest - very simple affairs, with little real flair to them - but they don't outstay their welcome and, yet again, the narrative elevates them.

So yes, overall, I've been impressed. Not an important sequel mechanically, but for character development and story it's an essential purchase.

Completed the main story.

It's a nice send of for both Altair and Ezio. I like how those stories were wrapped up and I really can't wait for the next game. It seems to be that the third game will explore the first civilization. Maybe we'll get to see a bit of that high tech city. Also expect a lot of the game to take place in present day as 2012 is when the world will end again.

That's a shame. I mean, is it just me who thought these segments were a highlight of the series? Why would they take them out? Climbing around is never more rewarding than when you've actually got to think about your next move. I think there was a couple of isolated spots in the original where this applied, but it wasn't till ACII where they actually decided to make something of it.

They are my fave elements as well, it's a shame that element took a backseat. I agree with Wiper this is the best of the bunch graphically and that it has a really satisfying narrative, but in terms of gameplay it's definitely not my fave.

So everything is intact from Brotherhood, the hook blade is a fantastic addition and the tower defense is a fucken nonsense! Its probably all been said but WTF were they thinking when they added it?!

'Den is under attack'

Go to Den.

Attempt to repel attack.

Lose den because its been 3 hours sine the tutorial and the controls are a convoluted mess.

Win Den back by killing the triumphant captain 3 minutes after he rocked through the front door.

Get back into story

'Other Den is under attack'

:facepalm:

Dont get me wrong I love the fact that on the whole its just more of the same but this mode really does break the flow of the game and that is something that has always been one of my favourite things about the series. Ah well, build my guild and re-inforce as much as possible so can keep the Den Defence Circus out of town as much as possible :)

So long as you keep on top of what used to be Notoriety by bribing public speakers/killing witnesses, you can basically make it through the entire game having only played the tower defence tutorial.

For those that have finished the game:

Does Desmond have 7 memories in total? After Animus Island is rebuilt during the credits I noticed the two previously broken archways are now repaired, but they don't seem to prompt you for a number of Animus shards like the others.

So long as you keep on top of what used to be Notoriety by bribing public speakers/killing witnesses, you can basically make it through the entire game having only played the tower defence tutorial.

For those that have finished the game:

Does Desmond have 7 memories in total? After Animus Island is rebuilt during the credits I noticed the two previously broken archways are now repaired, but they don't seem to prompt you for a number of Animus shards like the others.

I noticed that too, and couldn't see a way to open them. My guess is that they might be future DLC. Either that, or there's a way to unlock them and I didn't find it.

I must admit i'm surprised at the quality of this after reading some reviews, it's marvellous. I was a huge fan of Brotherhood and so far this trumps it. Constantinople feels very natural and is great fun to navigate, the controls and acrobats seem to have been tightened up slightly and the addition of the hookblade really finishes the package off, a great addition.

After the opening hour, I was unsure but since i've been unleashed in Constantinople, it's as brilliant as AC has ever been.

How the FUCK do I stop the siege machine from destroying my assassin den EVERY time?

I can deal easily with everything else but it cuts through my greek fire barriers like butter and even if I save up all cannon shots IT DOESN'T DO SHIT to it even if I have loads of riflemen and bowmen shooting its shit

That's a shame. I mean, is it just me who thought these segments were a highlight of the series?

No. I thought they were superb. What they've replaced them with are fun - and probably among my favourite moments in an otherwise slightly disappointing game - but I'd rather have had a mix of both. The Sixth Day is one of my favourite AC moments ever.

Does anyone seriously like the Desmond bits? I thought they were bloody awful.

There's an interesting counter-opinion today from Stephen Totilo, who I like as a writer, and who was evidently a big fan of this game, but I do think he's gone a little over the top with his praise for the bombs: http://kotaku.com/5861437/assassins-creed-revelations-the-kotaku-review

The tower defence stuff hasn't been an issue at all yet, essentially you only need to do the tutorial. As long as you stay on top of your notoriety, which happens quite naturally as you're wandering around, you'll never have to do any more.

This is my favourite in the series.